Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Data Only Sim Options

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Even though that T-Mobile $10 for 5GB over 5 months seems like a great plan if you have an eligible iPad, the FP AT&T LTE annual prepaid plan is good, too, and AT&T’s coverage might be better than T-Mobile, depending on where you’re going to be using it.
    FP has a bad reputation but this seems prepaid. Working out all right for you? Do they randomly deduct data? Does one have to use their app? Tempted by their pricing before but always stayed away because of many horror stories online about FP.

Sent from my moto g(6) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by tanzm77 View Post
    FP has a bad reputation but this seems prepaid. Working out all right for you? Do they randomly deduct data? Does one have to use their app? Tempted by their pricing before but always stayed away because of many horror stories online about FP.
    Yes, FP has a bad reputation, but it isn't as bad in reality as some stupid users make it sound. Other users have most likely had legitimate issues. FP has definitely engaged in some questionable marketing and upgrade/downgrade practices with some free accounts, but if a user is paying attention, issues can be avoided.

Yes.

No. FP has NEVER deducted data randomly on ANY of my 14 free or 2 annual prepaid accounts. My LG Phoenix 2, LG G Pad F 8.0 V495, and Moto E4 XT1768 all report data usage almost exactly the same as FP charges it.

No for data only. Yes if you want to use the UT&T part.

I have used FP successfully since 2016. I used FP Global SIMs in Europe in 2016 and 2018. Free FP AT&T LTE SIMs provided my only cellular connection from March, 2017 through August, 2018, and I still use them in various devices. My daughter has used a FP Sprint Prestige 2, 200/500/500 plan since October, 2018, when she visits the US from Canada 3 to 4 times per month. I still haven't exactly figured out what we'll do when that stops working, with the sale of the FP Sprint customers to Ting, but I'll come up with something.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB, iPad Pro 11" 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Unreal Mobile, Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    If one were to buy the Tracfone SIM, would they have a cow if you inserted it into a Mobile Hotspot (device)? Or can you use it in a phone that has a Personal Hotspot? I recently ordered a Red Pocket Data SIM which looks like a good deal for buying on an as needed basis. The T-Mobile offer looks slightly better but their site was broken this morning so I gave RP a shot for a ten-ner..
    Hear me on Twitter: @alexkidd1 / Fun connection:

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Force, X4, G7 Power, G6, G5s+, G4+, E5+, E5, E4..
    Carrier(s)
    metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, Tello and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexKidd1977 View Post
    If one were to buy the Tracfone SIM, would they have a cow if you inserted it into a Mobile Hotspot (device)? Or can you use it in a phone that has a Personal Hotspot? I recently ordered a Red Pocket Data SIM which looks like a good deal for buying on an as needed basis. The T-Mobile offer looks slightly better but their site was broken this morning so I gave RP a shot for a ten-ner..
    TracFone says that it's against the TOS and It probably wouldn't work in a hotspot due to the apn. I've used mine though through the phone successfully on all three TracFone networks.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB, iPad Pro 11" 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Unreal Mobile, Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by cellular-dude View Post
    TracFone says that it's against the TOS and It probably wouldn't work in a hotspot due to the apn. I've used mine though through the phone successfully on all three TracFone networks.
    Okay got it. Yeah the APN snags you every time with the hotspots. One could just use a phone as a pseudo hotspot but I digress. Only thing I can figure is the networks generally prioritize a hotspot up from phone traffic because they can have high speed demand from business. Hmm..

—Kidd

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Yes, FP has a bad reputation, but it isn't as bad in reality as some stupid users make it sound. Other users have most likely had legitimate issues. FP has definitely engaged in some questionable marketing and upgrade/downgrade practices with some free accounts, but if a user is paying attention, issues can be avoided.

Yes.

No. FP has NEVER deducted data randomly on ANY of my 14 free or 2 annual prepaid accounts. My LG Phoenix 2, LG G Pad F 8.0 V495, and Moto E4 XT1768 all report data usage almost exactly the same as FP charges it.

No for data only. Yes if you want to use the UT&T part.

I have used FP successfully since 2016. I used FP Global SIMs in Europe in 2016 and 2018. Free FP AT&T LTE SIMs provided my only cellular connection from March, 2017 through August, 2018, and I still use them in various devices. My daughter has used a FP Sprint Prestige 2, 200/500/500 plan since October, 2018, when she visits the US from Canada 3 to 4 times per month. I still haven't exactly figured out what we'll do when that stops working, with the sale of the FP Sprint customers to Ting, but I'll come up with something.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. May give their 5G per month prepaid plan a try if it goes on sale.

Sent from my moto g(6) using HoFo mobile app

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2