Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cricket in Canada Limits

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Cricket in Canada Limits

I am on a Cricket unlimited plan($60) and have been in Canada for 3 weeks using data heavily. I feel I have easily exceeded my 50% limit for data usage but have not had an email or been cutoff yet Am I protected because I have the unlimited plan? I would really like to understand how the 50% limit really works if it actually pertains to me.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, LG G3, Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket, Project Fi, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The 50% usage means cumulative within a 3 month period. If you use say, 80 GB in 3 months, your usage should be less than 40GB, or you run the risk of adverse action. Individual months shouldn't hurt if you're over 50% just make sure your domestic usage is more within those 3 months.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It is the 50% that bothers me. I don't know where to find the 50% number. I feel like I am well over that number since I don't use much data in the US and am usng data daily in Canada, including streaming. I have no idea if Cricket will warn me when I approach the 50% number or just cut me off. Does Cricket check every day or only monthly? So many unknowns and I don;t ant to call, that would be stirring the pot.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    How long are you going to be in Canada? If it's not much longer, say a week or two, I would say you'll be fine. Just make sure to use data when you come back, no wifi. Otherwise, if you're paranoid, investing in a good prepaid local sim would be a better option, especially if you're there another month+.

You can likely get a rough estimate on your usage by checking how much data you've used via their website, when your month started, and when you arrived in Canada. Or if your phone tracks usage, you can change around the dates to see how much you've used and compare it.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks. I have been looking at the phone info and I at 18G, previously I only used about 3G in the past 3 months. We will be in Canada for only another 3-4 days. When in AK I will continue to use my phone as a hotspot rather than my Mobley so I don;t have these worries when we come bak. I just don't like dealing with the unknown. If Cricket is going to throw out the 50% as a limit there should be someplace they give me this information.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    A bit of research suggests that Cricket does send out warnings before suspending service. Even then, it's still suspended, not terminated and can be reinstated by calling them.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks for finding the information. I never saw anything that said they would give a warning. I assumed they would but one never knows. Guess I will breathe a sigh of relief.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I've blown through 150gb in Canada over a month before and they sent me a warning text about 3 weeks after I was back that I'm limited to 50% of 3 months usage.

I have a line that doesn't do a ton of data, maybe 8gb a month, but spends 3 months a year in Canada without any warning or issues.

I use Google voice and forward to a throw away number. If they cancel my plan I'll have a new number in a day with zero impact.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    I've blown through 150gb in Canada over a month before and they sent me a warning text about 3 weeks after I was back that I'm limited to 50% of 3 months usage.

I have a line that doesn't do a ton of data, maybe 8gb a month, but spends 3 months a year in Canada without any warning or issues.

I use Google voice and forward to a throw away number. If they cancel my plan I'll have a new number in a day with zero impact.
    Way to abuse the system my dude.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by s52m3 View Post
    Way to abuse the system my dude.
    If they care, they'll cut it at whatever threshold they desire. Otherwise I'm totally out of f$%#s what AT&T thinks about it. My 5 lines do around 15gb average a month. If they can't eat a month at 150gb then they can eat a **** for all I care.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Not abuse of the system if all usage was within the ToS. It's marketed as unlimited, so if you run 150GB on your phone with Netflix or whatever, that's just using the service sold to you. Even if done while roaming, if AT&T chooses to enforce their "may" result in slowdown, suspension, etc is completely up to them. Tethering is a legal gray area. It's a Schrodinger's service, you can but can't. Most people feel the carrier should not be able to dictate, and even profit on how people use the service they are sold. But that's a whole net neutrality SNAFU that should not be discussed here.

On topic, I think you'll be perfectly fine OP.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I spent the majority of May in Canada and I have to say that both service and Data speeds were excellent. I must have used about 16GB while roaming and 26GB total for the month. I had no throttling and data speed caps. Overall it worked great. I am on the unlimited extra plan.

Only downside, making calls switches you to 3g vs LTE and the sound quality wasn’t great and sometimes it wouldn’t automatically switch back to LTE.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Samanpezeshki View Post
    I spent the majority of May in Canada and I have to say that both service and Data speeds were excellent. I must have used about 16GB while roaming and 26GB total for the month. I had no throttling and data speed caps. Overall it worked great. I am on the unlimited extra plan.
    I'm thinking of taking a trip up there later in the year and this thread has been great - was there a particular carrier you jumped on most often? What kind of phone do you have and did it show that carrier's name?

Unrelated, I'm considering "upgrading" from 4/$100 Unlimited to 4/$150 Unlimited Extra, but worry how bad deprioritization might be (I'm in a market that's pretty good for AT&T). From what it sounds like, most people still see >10Mbps even in populated areas. If I don't change, I wonder if there's any speed caps on the other plans while in Canada (I'd assume not since it would be hard to enforce).

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    I'm thinking of taking a trip up there later in the year and this thread has been great - was there a particular carrier you jumped on most often? What kind of phone do you have and did it show that carrier's name?

Unrelated, I'm considering "upgrading" from 4/$100 Unlimited to 4/$150 Unlimited Extra, but worry how bad deprioritization might be (I'm in a market that's pretty good for AT&T). From what it sounds like, most people still see >10Mbps even in populated areas. If I don't change, I wonder if there's any speed caps on the other plans while in Canada (I'd assume not since it would be hard to enforce).
    I'm currently in Canada, every time I've been here, my phone always prefers Rogers. Which is the largest in Canada, so no complaints there. However, you are still routed through an at&t server... Iplocation says I'm in Texas.... Speeds are fine, personally never encountered slowdowns due to congestion just oversaturated where nobody's lte works, which I swap to HSPA+ and still get around 10-12Mbps.

Currently getting 65-70Mbps down 20Mbps up on Rogers lte. Last time I was here, I had the old unlimited 8Mb plan, since you're routed through at&t anyway, their speed caps ARE enforced. It was a consistent 8Mb though. Overall, same experience as in the states.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast