Thread: Google Voice or Hangouts or Other VOIP on a Tablet (iPad 5th mini) w/Data Plan & Wifi

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Google Voice or Hangouts or Other VOIP on a Tablet (iPad 5th mini) w/Data Plan & Wifi

Is anyone here basically using their tablet as a phone with wifi and a data plan?

Wondering what people who are using it that way use for their voice/messaging client and things they may have run into.

Thanks

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    Is anyone here basically using their tablet as a phone with wifi and a data plan?

Wondering what people who are using it that way use for their voice/messaging client and things they may have run into.

Thanks
    I have used GV + Hangouts on multiple devices, including an old LG G Pad F 8.0 V495 on WiFi and/or cellular data, since March, 2017.

I install Hangouts, connected to my GV #s, on every device I have or test, so I can use whatever device I want at any particular time, and all the devices ring and receive messages at the same time.

I have had no issues using GV + Hangouts for voice, as long as there's a stable data connection, or messaging, no matter how bad the connection is, on any device.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    So on the tablet you just get the pop up showing an inbound call the same as a phone pretty much? I should be able to answer via a bluetooth ear piece?

Thanks I appreciate your feedback especially as you have a lot of experience with this. That carried a lot of weight when you answered me about data sims also

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    So on the tablet you just get the pop up showing an inbound call the same as a phone pretty much? I should be able to answer via a bluetooth ear piece?

Thanks I appreciate your feedback especially as you have a lot of experience with this. That carried a lot of weight when you answered me about data sims also
    Yes, incoming Hangouts calls show on the tablet just like on a phone. I can answer a call with Hangouts on any of my connected devices, including the tablet.

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience using a Bluetooth ear piece on any device, so I can't help you with that.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Thanks
    I have Google Voice with Hangouts/Hangouts Dialer on my LG G Pad F 8.0 V495. It works, but I have only used it to call info lines or my voicemail. The placement of the microphone, speaker, and the size of the tablet is not conducive to holding for a conversation. If it was all I had with me I could use it. I have never tried it with mobile data.

The round trip delay latency of Hangouts is about 600 ms. Other VOIP services I have tried are in that range too. 600 ms is on the borderline of being noticeable. If you are having a quick back and forth conversation it will get awkward with talking over each other.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

You get a pop up showing an inbound call and the tablet will sound the selected Hangouts ringtone.

I just tried it with my Bluetooth earpiece, and surprisingly it worked, with one exception. I was unable to answer the call from my BT earpiece. I had to touch the tablet to answer. So yeah, a tablet could be viable as a phone that way.

If you go the Hangouts route, you will need to install the optional Hangouts Dialer app for voice calls to work. In the Hangouts settings, turn on Incoming calls. It is off when initially installed.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Good stuff, thanks!

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I have been using my tablet with GrooveIP for several years.
    I didn't want to waste my prepaid phone minutes on calling my landline answering machine.
    Now that I have dumped my landline, voice access isn't necessary.

Tried Hangouts, it almost worked. Textnow works on my laptop. Depends on the tablet I suppose.