Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: International roaming passes (NEW) taxes

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    156
    Device(s)
    Samung S9 Plus Factory unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    TMOBILE USA ,ORANGE SPAIN
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

    International roaming passes (NEW) taxes

    i know its a bit to early since this was rolled out today

    International Pass (512MB): $5, 1 day

    5GB International Pass: $35, 10 days

    15GB International Pass: $50, 30 days

    since i travel a lot i inquired about the taxes and fees that are associated and T mobile could not provide an answer the
    service rep was unable to provide the break down.

    The reason i posted this is due to the fact as an ex ATT customer i used the 10.00 a day international pass that is offered by my former carrier and to my horror i was crucified with taxes and fees that amounted to approximately 35 Pct

    If we can keep this post alive and post our experiences with our bill i think it would help us all in deciding what options are better suited t mobile data pass or using a local international sim card or continuing with the complimentary data roaming that is offered /

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,178
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    In April I used two of the 1 day 512MB data passes while in Canada and my bill was $10.75 more than the previous bill. That was on a Select Choice plan but I don't think that makes any difference.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    15,427
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The wife and I were quite happy with the default data speed when roaming in Ireland. The Magenta Plus plan includes twice-as-fast roaming abroad. (I assume that's 256 kbps.)
    Donald Newcomb

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    18,115
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    IMHO, the additional "taxes" are imposed by the country where they occur and passed on to the consumer on top of the advertised usage costs. This is a non-negotiable cost and the T&C of the plan/feature stipulate this. I don't have a link but I am certain it is spelled out in the documentation/explanation.

    CS reps cannot quote what "taxes" are imposed as they don't have that information. That can change on a daily, monthly or annual basis. I am not a lawyer, but I guarantee that the carrier was written their rules and regulations carefully enough to protect them self.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    156
    Device(s)
    Samung S9 Plus Factory unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    TMOBILE USA ,ORANGE SPAIN
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    IMHO, the additional "taxes" are imposed by the country where they occur and passed on to the consumer on top of the advertised usage costs. This is a non-negotiable cost and the T&C of the plan/feature stipulate this. I don't have a link but I am certain it is spelled out in the documentation/explanation.

    CS reps cannot quote what "taxes" are imposed as they don't have that information. That can change on a daily, monthly or annual basis. I am not a lawyer, but I guarantee that the carrier was written their rules and regulations carefully enough to protect them self.

    nope my old ATT Charges (Taxes) and surge chargers were


    State and Local Tax
    Federal Universal Service Fund

    Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge
    State Universal Service Fund

    those are all Federal/State imposed taxes no mention of foreign taxes being imposed

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    18,115
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Even if you don't believe me, you are responsible for them. This is non-negotiable. The federal government wants it's cut.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using HoFo mobile app

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Mission Viejo, CA
    Posts
    190
    Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Why do I want any of these plans vs. the unlimited "2G" International plan I have now? Just more speed? If I want more speed, I can get a local SIM on the cheap.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,210
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon_73 View Post
    Why do I want any of these plans vs. the unlimited "2G" International plan I have now? Just more speed? If I want more speed, I can get a local SIM on the cheap.
    A few reasons to enable these add on plans are: You keep your main phone number active while roaming. If you make any calls, the caller ID will show you as the caller, not some "Nigerian Prince" with a $9 a minute call scam. You will also receive calls to your number as if you were back home. It's easy to enable and you can do it on a daily basis. This is useful if you are travelling from city to city, even on different continents, or countries not in the same roaming zones of a local sim. The Mediterranean area is a good example of this. It's pretty easy to bounce from Italy to Turkey, Israel, Egypt, etc. with the same service.

    Maybe it's a few bucks more than local sims, but it is a sure thing that is no hassle to obtain.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    209
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon_73 View Post
    Why do I want any of these plans vs. the unlimited "2G" International plan I have now? Just more speed? If I want more speed, I can get a local SIM on the cheap.
    It also gives free calling besides higher speeds.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,210
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by boherez View Post
    It also gives free calling besides higher speeds.
    That's a good point I forgot to mention. You can call locally just as you would with a regional sim, but also will have unlimited calling to any other free data country, including back to the US. So 40 minutes of calls a day is a break even on the $5 a day plan. It drops to 7 minutes a day for the $50 plan.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    156
    Device(s)
    Samung S9 Plus Factory unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    TMOBILE USA ,ORANGE SPAIN
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Good point with out the pass its 25 cents a minute per call plus tax so lets say 30 cents a minute that can add up pretty quickly so on a 30 day stay in Europe 65 minutes worth of calls and you are up to 50.00 worth of charges broken down per day 2 minutes per day @ 30 cents you also have to take into account all received calls are charged with out the pass. In my opinion this plan is one of the best at the moment for international travel. But i do agree that if you purchase a local sim from Vodafone Orange or any other European Mobil carrier its cheaper but their also restrictions. No state side calling this is considered a long distance call you pretty much have to use third part calling apps but if you are on vacation who wants to talk to anybody back in the states LOL

    Another point that is not clear with T Mobile. In Europe using a local sim card roaming works in the following way. Lets say you purchase you local sim in Spain. and you travel to France in France you are allowed to make local calls within France and call back to Spain with no charges incurred . But if in France and you decide to call any other place besides Spain or within France its considered a long distance call. so roaming is country specific were ever you are roaming and your Home base ( were the sim originates from ) Just wondering if this is the same for T Mobile country you are currently roaming in (Calls included) plus calls back to the USA (Home Base) . and if you decide to call another country outside the country you are roaming in is it considered a long distance call such as in Europe

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,210
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'm pretty sure from all I've read that you have included calling to all countries that are part of the TM roaming service.

    As far as who wants or needs to call back to the US? Many of us have work or other interests that might require either checking in, or lengthy calls in some cases. I have rental property and sometimes need to call a tenant or repair co. to deal with problems. The fact that they can reach me and I get their texts & calls on my main line is valuable.

    I'm going to explore the Xfinity Mobile system today for some features that might be useful while traveling. For instance, on their website, calls in Europe seem to only be charged at a $.10 a minute rate, with no flat fee, and calls from the US to many countries are very low also. They have no monthly fee except taxes if you don't use over the comp. 100Mb a month, and then $12 a Gb from then on. They might be a good second sim while on the road, but I'll know more soon.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    156
    Device(s)
    Samung S9 Plus Factory unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    TMOBILE USA ,ORANGE SPAIN
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    I'm pretty sure from all I've read that you have included calling to all countries that are part of the TM roaming service.

    As far as who wants or needs to call back to the US? Many of us have work or other interests that might require either checking in, or lengthy calls in some cases. I have rental property and sometimes need to call a tenant or repair co. to deal with problems. The fact that they can reach me and I get their texts & calls on my main line is valuable.

    I'm going to explore the Xfinity Mobile system today for some features that might be useful while traveling. For instance, on their website, calls in Europe seem to only be charged at a $.10 a minute rate, with no flat fee, and calls from the US to many countries are very low also. They have no monthly fee except taxes if you don't use over the comp. 100Mb a month, and then $12 a Gb from then on. They might be a good second sim while on the road, but I'll know more soon.


    Agreed but roaming is roaming i do not think calling other countries in the TM roaming counties is allowed if you are in one country roaming and decide to call another with the exception of the USA and the local area you are presently roaming in.

    Think about this way its like using your mobile in the USA and making a call to Europe its considered a long distance call. I would advise anyone who is traveling to call TM before departing for further clarification if you find the need to call outside your physical roaming area with the exception of the USA

    when customers could get in trouble they travel to Europe and their hotel is in France. They decide to drive to Spain for the day and discover they have to call the hotel back in France for some reason this would be considered a long distance call . Yes they are roaming in Spain and they are allowed to call within Spain and back to the USA but not back to France since they are no longer roaming in France
    Last edited by harleyman1450; 06-15-2019 at 08:32 AM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    Posts
    266
    Device(s)
    Blackberry Curve 8320
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Last summer I was using the 5 dollar a day added on - I had to call from Switzerland to France expecting to be charged for the call I wasn’t and all my calls back to and from USA were not changed and calls within France were no charge called when using the 5 dollar a day 512 add on. While the 50 dolllar add any may seem more expensive Han local sim - it and the 5 dollar plan allow me to leave my phone on without worry of being charged for the round trip call to voicemail for example and the convenience of using my existing number make it worth it

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,210
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by harleyman1450 View Post
    Agreed but roaming is roaming i do not think calling other countries in the TM roaming counties is allowed if you are in one country roaming and decide to call another with the exception of the USA and the local area you are presently roaming in.

    Think about this way its like using your mobile in the USA and making a call to Europe its considered a long distance call. I would advise anyone who is traveling to call TM before departing for further clarification if you find the need to call outside your physical roaming area with the exception of the USA

    when customers could get in trouble they travel to Europe and their hotel is in France. They decide to drive to Spain for the day and discover they have to call the hotel back in France for some reason this would be considered a long distance call . Yes they are roaming in Spain and they are allowed to call within Spain and back to the USA but not back to France since they are no longer roaming in France
    I'm 99% sure that you can call any included roaming country from any other roaming country for the $.25 a minute rate. Here's a cut & paste from the International Rate section on TM.

    "To make a call while you are roaming overseas, whether you’re calling within the country or to a location outside it, simply dial "+" and the country code, the city code (if necessary), and the local number."

    Also:

    "The Magenta, T-Mobile ONE, Simple Choice, New Classic and Select Choice plans provide unlimited 2G data, unlimited texting and calling at $0.25 per minute in 210+ countries and destinations. The T-Mobile Essentials plan provides unlimited text and calling at $0.25 per minute (but not data) in 210+ countries and destinations."

    They make no mention of origin or destination charges that vary from the $.25 rate in the 210+ countries anywhere. However, you don't want to be calling them from the US or I believe the rate is $2.99 a minute unless you have international calling enabled.

    I seem to remember having done this without extra charges, but can't swear to it. I have called on cruise ships in the Atlantic & Pacific to hotels in Europe & Australia using WiFi Calling with the $.25 rate though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New International Roaming Passes from Rogers
    By howard in forum Rogers/Fido/Chat-r
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-23-2013, 06:34 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-29-2012, 09:21 AM
  3. Add international ROAMING to new plan?
    By kernel in forum AT&T
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-22-2005, 07:12 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-18-2003, 05:32 PM
  5. New GSM International Roaming Agreements
    By gujustud in forum Rogers/Fido/Chat-r
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-04-2002, 07:56 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks