Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: FreedomPop has been sold to Red Pocket

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    I am curious: if I move to Ting with my phone, will Ting be able to unlock internationally and/or domestically my FP phone that supports GSM network (ZTE Prestige 2):

https://www.zteusa.com/zte-prestige-2.html
    Will FP not unlock it? What do they say?

FP should unlock them to the extent they normally do on request, should they not? I would assume they will waive their ordinary 6 month's service requirement to do an unlock (if it is not already satisfied).

It seems to me they would be a surer bet than Ting, since FP is the owner of the lock.

This will hopefully be clarified by FP (more exactly, whoever is currently operating FP, which is not Ting).

It could be a pretty complicated issue.

Hopefully Ting will do it if FP will not, but I would try FP first.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    FP should unlock them to the extent they normally do on request, should they not? I would assume they will waive their ordinary 6 month's service requirement tp do an unlock (if it is not already satisfied).

It seems to me they would be better able to do so than Ting, since FP is presumably the owner of the lock.

This will hopefully be clarified by FP (more exactly, whoever is currently operating FP, which is not Ting).

It is a pretty complicated issue.
    FP performs only "CDMA unlock" and release the phone IMEI/MEID/ESN in order to be used on another Sprint CDMA MVNO.
    But FP refuses to unlock GSM part of the phone (where applicable) to be used on foreign GSM network ("International Sim Unlock" as defined by Sprint) or domestic GSM network (AT&T or T-Mobile, "Domestic Sim Unlock" as defined by Sprint).

FreedomPop explicitly states that it does not unlock GSM module on its phones:

https://support.freedompop.com/app/a...vice%20release

Are FreedomPop's phones released?
    FreedomPop phones work best with our system and plans. However, if the device is unlocked, it can be used with other CDMA carriers.

Please Note: Even if the device is unlocked, it cannot be used outside of the U.S. with international carriers, and it cannot be used with GSM carriers like AT&T or T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    FP performs only "CDMA unlock" and release the phone IMEI/MEID/ESN in order to be used on another Sprint CDMA MVNO.
    But FP refuses to unlock GSM part of the phone (where applicable) to be used on foreign GSM network ("International Sim Unlock" as defined by Sprint) or domestic GSM network (AT&T or T-Mobile, "Domestic Sim Unlock" as defined by Sprint).

FreedomPop explicitly states that it does not unlock GSM module on its phones.
    Oh I see.

Well LiterallyUnlim says they will only do ISU.

As to DSU, if neither FP or Ting will not do that, I guess you could put it on Sprint KickStart at $25 a month for the 50 days service they require but I realize that may be too much.

Feedback Score
    Oh I see.

Well LiterallyUnlim says they will only do ISU.
    Link/proof? It may be good enough for me to use my phone with foreign SIM card in roaming within USA.

Feedback Score
    Link/proof? It may be good enough for me to use my phone with foreign SIM card in roaming within USA.
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...6#post17077546

a few posts ago.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LiterallyUnlim View Post
    The only unlock capability we have is Sprint's ISU. We don't have access to any other unlock procedures.
    ISU is OK for me. Will you be able to unlock this phone https://www.zteusa.com/zte-prestige-2.html ?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    RFK, out of curiosity, did you try submitting a request to https://support.freedompop.com/app/a...vice%20release previously?

I never thought about trying to get FP to unlock either the FP Sprint Supernova 655 Hotspot or FP Sprint Prestige 2. I may try an unlock request using the above link.

Feedback Score
    i wonder if the freedompop brand is going away. and how will the website be 'split up' for two different companies. maybe olam will be migrated/separated to ting and rp. i also wonder what becomes of unreal mobile, since unreal is/was a sister company, basically fp in just another name.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    RFK, out of curiosity, did you try submitting a request to https://support.freedompop.com/app/a...vice%20release previously?
    It is CDMA unlock, not GSM unlock.

Feedback Score
    ISU is OK for me. Will you be able to unlock this phone https://www.zteusa.com/zte-prestige-2.html ?
    Probably. If it's on Sprint's network, there's a good chance we can SIM unlock it for international use only. Not domestic SIMs.

That said, nothing is a guarantee. We submit the request to Sprint and they come back with a reply. They have denied them in the past for various reasons, and we don't get any insight other than the denial. It's a YES or NO when we submit it. Not NO BECAUSE XYZ. This makes it harder to troubleshoot, but I believe you have to go through Sprint to do so.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    i wonder if the freedompop brand is going away. and how will the website be 'split up' for two different companies. maybe olam will be migrated/separated to ting and rp. i also wonder what becomes of unreal mobile, since unreal is/was a sister company, basically fp in just another name.
    Ting is only offering a special Ting Plan. It is that or they just terminate you. Just like when they did the same at RingPlus.
    Red Pocket remains to be seen.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 5, Nexus 5X , Jelly Pro
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM, FreedomPop, AT&T, Tracfone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I think what they mean is, they (post-edit: or Ting for Sprint plans) bought the business.

I expect they will convert all customers to new brands either over time or right away.

They have to have the name too, to be able to exploit the stock that is in Best Buy's possession etc. That does not mean they will keep using it long.
    The article says Red Pocket bought the name for high 8 figs. It is questionable that even the GSM customers are worth that. This is very strange and smells like STS did one last screw job.

Feedback Score
    I bought one of the FP 12 month plan cards when they were on sale. I haven't activated it yet cuz I have some top-up credit on my existing account. I wanted to use that up first. I have the free plan. I'm only using it on a tablet for the data. Any ideas what will happen with this? Will I be able to activate and use this 12 month sim? Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by agalvan View Post
    The article says Red Pocket bought the name for high 8 figs. It is questionable that even the GSM customers are worth that. This is very strange and smells like STS did one last screw job.
    I think the article is worded wrong.
    It is clear they bought the business as well.
    I think the money is largely for the business, and just incidentally the name. They would not pay anything for the name alone IMO.
    But you are right that the price for even the two combined is high.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 5, Nexus 5X , Jelly Pro
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM, FreedomPop, AT&T, Tracfone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I think the article is worded wrong.
    It is clear they bought the business as well.
    I'm sure. But close to $100 million for FP name and customers is high.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast