Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: FreedomPop has been sold to Red Pocket

Device(s)
    OnePlus 5, Nexus 5X , Jelly Pro
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM, FreedomPop, AT&T, Tracfone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    >I wonder where they got the Unreal info

Ting's 8K: "Tucows...reached an agreement with STS Media Inc...an MVNO operator doing business as Freedom Pop and Unreal Mobile brands, to acquire approximately 150,000 mobile subscribers currently on the Sprint network for a purchase price of up to $3.6 million.

The above is a bit ambiguous, since it isn't explicit in saying that Unreal users are included, but it is implicit. Supporting that is a later mention of 100K free accts (from above 150K), which implies 50K paid accts. It's unlikely that FreedomPop Sprint userbase alone would have a 1:3 paid-to-free ratio.

Similarly, the Reuters piece said Red Pocket is buying FreedomPop's brand, not FP's userbase, so what will happen to FP's non-Sprint accts isn't clear. Whatever the outcome, it's a safe bet that the AT&T SIM freebies will be dead. Owners of FP's prepaid plans (like the $50/yr plan) should be concerned.
    I didn't read the Ting press release. Thanks!

It would be plain stupid to just buy the FreedomPop name and not the assets with it for anywhere in the direction of $100 million dollars. (Of course I think it is stupid to spend that much on the assets).

I am nervous about my prepaid plans as well. Even if they did take over the accounts too, I remember the RP T-Mobile debacle when they abruptly shut that down. It is not below them to do that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    Unreal Mobile customers will be also migrated to Ting:

https://www.prepaidphonenews.com/201...reedompop.html
    I wonder what about the people using unreal but with the at&t network? ting only does sprint and tmobile

Feedback Score
    I'm muddied here. Does Tucows own Ting?
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    I'm muddied here. Does Tucows own Ting?
    Yes, the ancient, legendary website owns Ting.

Feedback Score
    Here is the official STS Media Press Release:

https://www.prweb.com/releases/freed...eb16364708.htm

Note that STS sold "its consumer business", not (primarily) the FreedomPop brand. As I figured, people were over-interpreting some garbled wording in a news article.

It does say, though, that “We feel that Red Pocket was the best company to grow the FreedomPop brand and consumer experience for our existing users.”

It also notes: "Last month, STS divested all Sprint-based subscribers to a third party in a separate and unrelated transaction" referring of course to Ting.

So, it appears the FreedomPop GSM services are now already the responsibility of Red Pocket. They just have not got around to telling their new customers yet! And the Sprint accounts have supposedly already been split off and transferred to Ting.

Another interesting aspect is that it refers repeatedly to selling (only) the RETAIL mvno business. Does that exclude its distribution contracts through BestBuy and other major stores? I think that, as worded, it probably does exclude them. That may leave STS Media free to switch those contracts over to another brand (unless limited by a non-compete clause).
    Last edited by comintel; 06-09-2019 at 07:25 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    Here is the official STS Media Press Release:

https://www.prweb.com/releases/freed...eb16364708.htm
    Thanks for finding and posting that.

This is the funniest part of it: "FreedomPop also introduced multiple innovations including Wi-Fi calling, data rollover, annual plans and virtual numbers."
    Copy they did, yes. They didn't innovate any of those things!

So Red Pocket is taking over FreedomPop GSM's business and the name. Cool.

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    Well, it was nice while it lasted. If our accounts go under, it will be a bummer I will lose the 500MB I get instead of 200 on the AT&T network. That plan combined with the T-Mobile 5GB 5 month plan is a nice setup to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonomics101 View Post
    Well, it was nice while it lasted. If our accounts go under, it will be a bummer I will lose the 500MB I get instead of 200 on the AT&T network. That plan combined with the T-Mobile 5GB 5 month plan is a nice setup to have.
    i still have two free 2GB per month plans including free Premium Voice on the Sprint side.
    Last edited by comintel; 06-09-2019 at 02:16 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    This might be a blessing in disguise. Red Pocket is more reputable than FP. I hope they change the VOIP accounts to real cellular for the same free cost.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    This might be a blessing in disguise. Red Pocket is more reputable than FP. I hope they change the VOIP accounts to real cellular for the same free cost.
    I hope so, too! I also hope RP understands what they bought and honors the FP annual prepaid plans that have been sold to date!

If anybody cares, I also hope I win $1,000,000.

Feedback Score
    I think RP will announce an end date to the unprofitable FP offerings. Like month to month (3 months), Yearlys fulfill them & unactive have 3 months to activate.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    It was good while it lasted.... Guess it makes all the money grab moves by freedom pop the past year seem logical.

Sent from my iRulu Geoking Max 3 G36 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Alcatel Idol 4s W10M, Alcatel Pop 4+
    Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FreeUP Mobile, FreedomPop LTE, Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    I think RP will announce an end date to the unprofitable FP offerings. Like month to month (3 months), Yearlys fulfill them & unactive have 3 months to activate.
    If they end the free accounts, as I also expect they will do, I hope they allow me to apply the $5 topup reserve I have on each of my two lines to some Redpocket plan...
    Trying to come up with some sort of signature line...

Feedback Score
    I have no idea. But I believe they would.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I hope so, too! I also hope RP understands what they bought and honors the FP annual prepaid plans that have been sold to date!

If anybody cares, I also hope I win $1,000,000.
    Seems to me the more likely event is that you win $1,000,000

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast