Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: FreedomPop has been sold to Red Pocket

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score

FreedomPop has been sold to Red Pocket

(Reuters) - Prepaid wireless provider STS Media said on Friday it has agreed to sell its FreedomPop brand to Red Pocket Mobile, as STS readies itself to place a bid for Sprint Corp’s Boost Mobile.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nox555 View Post
    (Reuters) - Prepaid wireless provider STS Media said on Friday it has agreed to sell its FreedomPop brand to Red Pocket Mobile, as STS readies itself to place a bid for Sprint Corp’s Boost Mobile.
    That's big news...

...but it was reported earlier at https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...0#post17077510.

Feedback Score
    To be fair this deserves its own thread.

I'm so curious to see the results of the sale. I assume they will want to discontinue the free plans, since they were just sinking money hoping to be sold, and now they need to make some money. Also they (hopefully) aren't counting on revenue from shady "upgrades", hidden fees, abd overage charges, like FreedomPop did.

I don't fully understand what RP will do with the FP customer base. Will they try to convert them to their monthly / yearly plans?

Unfortunately neither FP nor RP is particularly open or responsive with information so it'll be a while before we know anything.

If Ting had bought them we would know up front what the plan is.

I'm actually surprised that RP bought FP and not Ting, since Ting has a history of buying out MNVO's and RP does not as far as I know.

UPDATE: Ting DID buy FreedomPop's Sprint users: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/d...0190531_8k.htm
    Last edited by barryspar; 06-07-2019 at 12:20 PM.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 5, Nexus 5X , Jelly Pro
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM, FreedomPop, AT&T, Tracfone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I don't understand why they would buy that name in the first place. It's not like the name "FreedomPop" brings a great reputation that people would flock to.

Second and most disturbing, STS Media has made enough money to try and go after Boost?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by agalvan View Post
    I don't understand why they would buy that name in the first place. It's not like the name "FreedomPop" brings a great reputation that people would flock to.

Second and most disturbing, STS Media has made enough money to try and go after Boost?

I think what they mean is, they (post-edit: or Ting for Sprint plans) bought the business.

I expect they will convert all customers to new brands either over time or right away.

They have to have the name too, to be able to exploit the stock that is in Best Buy's possession etc. That does not mean they will keep using it long.
    Last edited by comintel; 06-07-2019 at 12:19 PM.

Feedback Score
    I suppose this is one of the better times to announce that we actually picked up FreedomPop CDMA customers in this transaction. We did not acquire the brand.

Details forthcoming about what FreedomPop CDMA customers can expect on Ting, but the highlights are:
    - Little to no service interruption (we expect)
    - A special Ting rate plan for FreedomPop CDMA subscribers
    - FreedomPop-specific credits to try life on Ting with no obligation
    - We will not be adopting the freemium model

Details about what FP CDMA customers will be able to take advantage of, as well as what to do if they want to port out or cancel are forthcoming.

Disclosure: I work for Ting.
    Last edited by LiterallyUnlim; 06-07-2019 at 12:23 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LiterallyUnlim View Post
    - A special Ting rate plan for FreedomPop CDMA refugees
    They didn't put something in the fine print to say that you will not refer to former FP users as "refugees"?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by barryspar View Post
    They didn't put something in the fine print to say that you will not refer to former FP users as "refugees"?
    I understand your point. Verbiage removed.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I suppose this is one of the better times to announce that we actually picked up FreedomPop CDMA customers in this transaction. We did not acquire the brand.

Details forthcoming about what FreedomPop CDMA customers can expect on Ting, but the highlights are:
    - Little to no service interruption (we expect)
    - A special Ting rate plan for FreedomPop CDMA refugees
    - FreedomPop-specific credits to try life on Ting with no obligation
    - We will not be adopting the freemium model

Details about what FP CDMA customers will be able to take advantage of, as well as what to do if they want to port out or cancel are forthcoming.

Disclosure: I work for Ting.
    Thanks for letting us know.

I recently signed up for FP Sprint after using (and still using) FP GSM (both varieties) since 2016. FP has served me very, very well, and I hate to see the free plans go away. I have come to rely more on my FP Sprint Supernova 655 Hotspot, and my daughter uses a FP Sprint Prestige 2.

Oh well. Something this good was bound to end eventually, but for me, FP was very good while it lasted!

Feedback Score
    I am curious: if I move to Ting with my phone, will Ting be able to unlock internationally and/or domestically my FP phone that supports GSM network (ZTE Prestige 2):

https://www.zteusa.com/zte-prestige-2.html

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    So Ting gets Freedompop's Sprint customers and Redpocket gets the AT&T customers?

Wonder how that would work. I have an account with both. I wonder if this coincides with their push to convert Sprint accounts to paid one's surreptitiously.

Sent from my LEX727 Leeco Le Pro3 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    So Ting gets Freedompop's Sprint customers and Redpocket gets the AT&T customers?

Wonder how that would work. I have an account with both. I wonder if this coincides with their push to convert Sprint accounts to paid one's surreptitiously.

Sent from my LEX727 Leeco Le Pro3 using HoFo mobile app
    One number will go to Ting and one to Red Pocket, that's all.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    I am curious: if I move to Ting with my phone, will Ting be able to unlock internationally and/or domestically my FP phone that supports GSM network (ZTE Prestige 2):

https://www.zteusa.com/zte-prestige-2.html
    The only unlock capability we have is Sprint's ISU. We don't have access to any other unlock procedures.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    The only unlock capability we have is Sprint's ISU. We don't have access to any other unlock procedures.
    That answer isn't clear for those of us not very familiar with Sprint.

Can you please answer RFK's question more directly?

Will Ting be able to unlock the refurbished ZTE Prestige 2 phones originally sold by FP?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    I wonder if this coincides with their push to convert Sprint accounts to paid one's surreptitiously.
    You are right. FP tries to boost its value before sale.

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast