Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Thread: FreedomPop has been sold to Red Pocket

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger View Post
    Four chats - the last two said I was S.O.L. even with the receipt. What i really need is just 0/0/500 or so for cheap to use with GV. Hard to beat the $3/mo though. I rarely use data as I'm usually in WiFi when I stop somewhere ...
    I see that Red Pocket also has a pre-paid plan for $5 a month that offers 100 minutes, 100 texts, and 500 mb.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    > started from scratch by creating a new Red Pocket account...I entered the requested MEID for the Sprint SIM card that was in the phone I bought from FreedomPop

I did the other way. I used an FP login, and a non-FP phone and Sprint SIM. It also works. Combine the two, and apparently you don't need anything FP to get the $3 Sprint plan.

>

There's no promise. There's only a discrepancy between offered features. Naturally you as the customer immediately jumped on the higher amount as a "promise" which is BS. The 200MB is featured more prominently and it's likely that the 500MB is a mistake, as it only shows up in the check-out page.
    I only see a $3.99 offer, even when I use the FreedomPop link. Is the price a mistake, and at checkout it comes to $3?
    EDIT: I see when I use the FreedomPop transfer link page, and click on "buy," there is a $3 plan. Of course, with fees it comes to $4.24.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by carlbarry; 09-10-2019 at 02:04 PM.

Feedback Score
    When I use the FreedomPop transfer link page, and click on "buy," there is a $3 plan. Of course, with fees it comes to $4.24.
    Although we've been referring to this as a $3 plan it is actually $2.99. I'm pretty sure the fees are based on location. Mine were 2 cents for a total of $3.01. Probably a mistake, but I guess I'll know more next month when they charge my credit card again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    (The OTT FreedomPop plan does not include any allotments at all- it's used only to call/text via either cellular data or WiFi supplied entirely by the user, not by FreedomPop.)
    This is interesting, Zombie999. I haven't seen any reports of impact or intentions with the FreedomPop app-only plans moving forward.

I did have one FreedomPop GSM line (AT&T LTE SIM) mis-identified by FP as a CDMA line. Freedompop dashboard said it had been migrated to Ting, and it no longer worked on FreedomPop. I contacted FreedomPop via twitter, and they fixed it in 4-5 days. (Ting was also kind enough to check the phone number and confirm for me that it was not on the list of numbers migrated to Ting, while I was waiting for FP assistance.)
    I don't know how number assignment is done on the OTT lines, but I'd be surprised if there is any reason to classify them as CDMA lines to be migrated, and since you've already checked with Ting's migration page, this does not seem to be the case.

I'd suggest reaching out to FreedomPop via twitter @FreedomPopHelp, at least for the number you ported.

(I don't know about possible occasional use requirements for the OTT plans, so it's possible that numbers could be lost of not used. But the migration notice definitely seems like an error.)
    OTT accounts require minimum 5 calls/5 minute usage. If not used, you would lose a number and would need to select new one. But account would not be deleted. YES, the accounts have been used but have been deleted despite that.

However 3 of my accounts now say that I have not activated service with freedompop (same as the account was deleted). Account with ported number is still there with the message:
    " Action RequiredThis account no longer works with FreedomPop. Ting has an exclusive deal to save your number. More info in your email or ting.com/freedompop "

I have contacted Ting and they could not locate it with the phone number.

I have also submitted a ticket with FredomPop, even though It says I need a paid subscription to do that.

Feedback Score
    Former longtime FreedomPop user here, switched to Sprint's Free Unlimited plan last summer, but now that's running out at the end of September, when they want to raise my rate to $60. That's not going to happen, so here's what we decided for our family's phones...

I was looking at the RedPocket FP plan, but it seems like there's uncertainty about pricing and data allotment. So I just went with the RedPocket plan on eBay. $60, with $6 back in eBay Bucks today. 100 talk, 100 text, 500MB per month for a year. That's on a Sprint phone, but RedPocket also works on AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon.

Seems like for small data users $10/GB is about the going rate. That's essentially RedPocket's eBay plan, but you can also get it with Tracfone, if you don't mind using Tracfone's phones. And Tracfone's data carries over from month to month, so that's nice. My family's second phone is a CDMA (Verizon) Moto E5 on Tracfone.

I also recently bought a $40 FP BYOD SIM from Best Buy on eBay, for 1GB data per month for a year. Installed that yesterday on an AT&T phone and it works great, with the limitation of VOIP calling. I'd buy more of these, but who knows if they'll still work in a year once RedPocket fully takes over FP GSM.

We just use Google Voice on all these phones, so we can easily switch phones / phone numbers.

Feedback Score
    I was looking at the RedPocket FP plan, but it seems like there's uncertainty about pricing and data allotment.
    I think that uncertainty has been resolved with regard to the $2.99 FP/Sprint-to-RP conversion plan which seems to be fixed at 200/500/200 now. I hadn't heard of any other Red Pocket plans with pricing uncertainties. Are there any?

Seems like for small data users $10/GB is about the going rate ...
    Except that the $39.99 FP AT&T LTE plan you bought on eBay gives you 1 GB of data for 1/3 this rate -- only $3.33 per month. This seems like it may be the best LTE data rate available at this time, even if the plan did not also come with unlimited T&T via the FP app. Or are there cheaper LTE data rates on the market today?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FreedomPop-...t/192530921373

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by owkaye View Post
    I think that uncertainty has been resolved with regard to the $2.99 FP/Sprint-to-RP conversion plan which seems to be fixed at 200/500/200 now. I hadn't heard of any other Red Pocket plans with pricing uncertainties. Are there any?
    Yeah, that's the one I was referring to. So if it's settled that it's only 200MB, then that's not enough data for me. Plus it's more than the $10/GB. If you want RedPocket, seems like the eBay one-year card is a better deal for most people.

Quote Originally Posted by owkaye View Post
    Except that the $39.99 FP AT&T LTE plan you bought on eBay gives you 1 GB of data for 1/3 this rate -- only $3.33 per month. This seems like it may be the best LTE data rate available at this time, even if the plan did not also come with unlimited T&T via the FP app. Or are there cheaper LTE data rates on the market today?
    Yeah, I guess the more correct statement is $10/GB is the going rate for data in a plan for smallish data users that still comes with regular cellular minutes. Some people aren't comfortable with VOIP only. But if you're OK with a VOIP-only plan, yes, the FP plan seems like the best deal by far.

I had FP CDMA (Sprint) for several years in the past and had nothing but good experiences (given that it was free service). This is my first time with FP GSM (AT&T), and I'm happy so far.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by discman017 View Post

I was looking at the RedPocket FP plan, but it seems like there's uncertainty about pricing and data allotment. So I just went with the RedPocket plan on eBay. $60, with $6 back in eBay Bucks today. 100 talk, 100 text, 500MB per month for a year. That's on a Sprint phone, but RedPocket also works on AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon.

Can a former FreedomPop phone be transferred to this service? Thanks.
    I am now on Ting, but both RedPocket plans--the $3 and the ebay--are better deals.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by carlbarry View Post
    I am now on Ting, but both RedPocket plans--the $3 and the ebay--are better deals.
    Sure, if the phone is active on Ting CDMA, it should be eligible on any Sprint MVNO.
    Beware, though, that Red Pocket cannot activate an already active Sprint-network phone. This is a problem if you want to keep your number: Red Pocket cannot bring both the number and the already-active phone.

If you want to keep your number on Red Pocket/Sprint network, you have to do a dance with another Sprint-eligible phone. Either swap out the phone in your current Ting line to a temporary phone (which deactivates your current phone), and then port the number to Red Pocket with your original phone. Or, port the number to Red Pocket with a temporary phone, which will deactivate your original phone when the Ting account is closed-- then speak with Red Pocket via chat to swap from the temporary phone to the original phone.

This is a hassle for folks who don't have a spare phone to use, or borrow temporarily from a friend. The workaround is to buy a cheap eligible phone via Ebay that is eligible to activate. The phone does not need to even work, as long as the ESN/MEID is clear for activation.
    For example, search for ZTE AWE phones: I've seen several listed on ebay, in broken condition, with MEID's pictured that you can test on Ting's BYOD checker before purchase. I've confirmed that 3 current listings under $5, including shipping, should activate fine. (The ZTE AWE isn't anything special-- but it's 3G only, and usually available cheap as a result.)

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5 Play, AT&T F160 flip, Kyo Dura XT
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreeUp, Tello, T-Mo Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I transferred one of my Freedompop phones from Ting to Red Pocket, and ported the number. Just request the port out info from Ting and then submit a new activation and port in to Red Pocket.
    Quote Originally Posted by carlbarry View Post
    Sent from my moto x4 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by millept View Post
    I transferred one of my Freedompop phones from Ting to Red Pocket, and ported the number. Just request the port out info from Ting and then submit a new activation and port in to Red Pocket.
    That's interesting. When I tried to port a former FP # from Ting to RP using the FP ZTE Prestige 2, it failed because the phone was already active on Ting, as others have described above.

RP wanted to send me an AT&T SIM card to temporarily port the # to so that they could then port it to Sprint using the ZTE Prestige 2, but I declined, since Tello's paygo was, at the time, almost as good a fit for the expected usage.

Do you have any other details on how you were able to accomplish what I an others above haven't been able to accomplish?

Device(s)
    Palm Centro Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS (SERO 500)
    Feedback Score
    FYI - the $2.99 plan now includes only 200MB of data, even though various websites, receipts, and emails show 500MB for the plan.

I had signed up thinking it was 500MB, but only 200MB showed up in my account. A RP rep "fixed" my account, and 500MB showed up for the remainder of my first month. When the plan renewed, my email receipt showed 500MB, but my account only shows 200MB.

It's not a huge deal for me, as this is for a spare/backup phone, but it might matter more for some folks.

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5 Play, AT&T F160 flip, Kyo Dura XT
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreeUp, Tello, T-Mo Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    That's interesting. When I tried to port a former FP # from Ting to RP using the FP ZTE Prestige 2, it failed because the phone was already active on Ting, as others have described above.

RP wanted to send me an AT&T SIM card to temporarily port the # to so that they could then port it to Sprint using the ZTE Prestige 2, but I declined, since Tello's paygo was, at the time, almost as good a fit for the expected usage.

Do you have any other details on how you were able to accomplish what I an others above haven't been able to accomplish?
    My experience was during the transition period where Ting was asking FP Sprint customers to choose a plan, or cancel, or ask for Port out info. So the phone may not have been "active" in that sense, although I thought it was still working and in general a number has to be active in order to be ported.

Right now I'm attempting to Port the same phone and number to Tello. When I gave Tello the IMEI, it said the phone was active on another carrier and could only be transferred if I ported the number at the same time.

Sent from my moto e5 play using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post

Ting will swap around phones internally to allow Sprint-to-Sprint ports where needed.
    This is true at least in some cases to port into Ting.

Maybe they will also collaborate with other MVNO's to do so if so requested on ports from Ting to another Sprint MVNO.
    I think they would at least help with advice if you contact LiterallyUnlimited for example. I know he has posted on this subject in detail but could not find those posts on reddit just now when I searched.

Ting has a very high level of customer service overall (with some exceptions during the recent FP migration overload). Tello is not bad but will not go to the lengths Ting will (for another example, on MVNO flag flips which Tello refuses to help with). RP seems to have gone down-hill recently with all the chaos surrounding their handling of the FP migration and their new plans.

I suspect they are all under a lot of stress and pressure as their future after the (potential) merger is hard for them to plan for.
    Last edited by comintel; 09-25-2019 at 01:08 AM.

Carrier(s)
    LycaMobile, FtreedomPop, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by timswim78 View Post
    FYI - the $2.99 plan now includes only 200MB of data, even though various websites, receipts, and emails show 500MB for the plan.

I had signed up thinking it was 500MB, but only 200MB showed up in my account. A RP rep "fixed" my account, and 500MB showed up for the remainder of my first month. When the plan renewed, my email receipt showed 500MB, but my account only shows 200MB.

It's not a huge deal for me, as this is for a spare/backup phone, but it might matter more for some folks.
    It only matters to me in that this problem has existed for a couple months. If RP can't get their poop together on such a simple issue what does this bode for their future :-O ?

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast