Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Unbelievable experience with Verizon especally

I am going to tell a story here, probably to help gain some sanity back and to get some of the stress level that I have achieved to subside if I can. It's a long story and I am going to make a conclusion at the end, and I think that another part of why I am doing this might be to help someone else avoid the stress level that I have come to. Here goes:
    About 3 months ago, I went from Tmobile to Verizon because I was not totally happy with Tmobile. I wanted to get onto Verizon's double data prepaid plan which would give me 15gb for $45. Knowing that Verizon coverage pretty much sucks here, I also needed to buy a network extender. So I went over to the Verizon store with my wife who was going to join me in a family plan on this 16gb deal.

First issue - It took about a half hour to get the in store reps to acknowledge that there indeed IS a double data prepaid plan for $45. That said, the proceeded to set us both up. There were some private conversations going on between a couple of the reps which I didn't think much of as I was assured that everything was going just fine. They sold me the extender and sent us both on our merry ways. Well, that was the beginning. What happened then that evening was that first, my wife noticed that her phone was not working, and second the network extender was taking an awful long time to boot up (I called in to tech support after 2 hours of watching it do nothing). She also called in to Verizon to get her phone working and was told that her phone was never put onto the plan we paid for. I was told by the tech support rep that I should just give the extender more time to boot.

To make a long story short, someone at Verizon then told my wife that her phone was not compatible with Verizon (unlocked Galaxy S9). I put my Verizon SIM card into it and sure enough, it worked like a charm! At the same time I said to myself that either the extender is defective or something else is going wrong. So I packed it back up, did some internet research and found that prepaid plans do not work with extenders! I then got a call from our daughter who said she had been trying to contact my wife all evening and couldnt (no working phone) to let her know our granddaughter had been brought to the ER. At this point we were both fuming! We put my wife's AT&T SIM card back into her phone and the next day I returned the extender and canceled my Verizon account. I got a nice apology and assurance that I would receive a refund check from Verizon in 6-8 weeks. This all happened about 10 weeks ago and I still have not received the refund. I did get back onto my Tmobile account and my wife onto her AT&T account (which was never closed because the store people never did actually set her up on Verizon, they just charged me for it.

Second issue - A couple of days later after doing COUNTLESS research about AT&T, I went over and purchased an AT&T phone and signed up with them. I took the phone home and found that wheneever I dialed into my voicemail, the volume would after a couple of seconds go down to almost zero. It happened several times. Sooo I went back to the AT&T store to exchange it and was told that there would be a restocking fee (yes even with a defective phone). There were though kind enough to give me a credit for that amount and I walked out of the store with a second phone. Welllll, I got home with this one and the same thing was happening. Volume on voicemail calls just went down to almost zero by itself. So back I went. This time they kept insisting it was ME and refused to do anything about the restocking fee (other than charge me for it). Now this was a Samsung Galaxy S10e. The same exact phone I had been using with Tmobile. IT worked just fine! So to make a long story short here, I ended up eating the restocking fee and once again going back to Tmobile with my own phone.
    Third issue - Still not really satisfied with Tmobile, about a month ago I went back to Verizon armed with the knowledge and smarts that I (or that I THOUGHT I) had gained from all this. I purchased a new iphone, and got onto a POSTPAID account with Verizon. I purchased another extender which I now knew would work since it was a postpaid account and traded in my S10e thus getting a $450 credit toward the new Verizon iphone. Everything looked good and I was told that part of the trade in would result in a $200 prepaid Visa card that I would receive in 2 months. Fine. Everything worked fine (finally). Well this time I made the mistake of thinking that since I now had a working, provisioned extender that I might, just might be able to change over to prepaid and still have the extender work for me. Knowing at this point that I better check, double check, triple check, quadruple check on this, I literally went through a dozen Verizon reps in chat and on the phone asking about this. Every single one of them told me that yes I would be fine on prepaid now that the extender was up and running on my account.

So yesterday, the fun began. I called in and had a rep switch me to prepaid. I even had him check and double check that the extender would work. He assured me it would. We got done, I got off the phone, and within 1 minute noticed that the extender was not working. I though, hmmmm...maybe just maybe it's because it's still associated with the postpaid account that I had just switched form. Soooo I called back to get them to switch it over. After spending almost a half hour navigating their phone menu system to try and find what button to push, I finally got into the hold queue to speak with a rep. After another 45 minutes I FINALLY got someone and though my problems were close to being resolved. He even assured me that yes, the extender needed to be reset onto my new plan for it to work. After about another half hour of being put on hold, talked to, put on hold several more times etc, he assured me that the extender was now on my account and would work properly once I rebooted it and my phone. He was even kind enough to tell me he would call me back in 10 minutes to make sure it was working correctly. Well, it didn't and he never did call back. At that point (and what I just summed up all took about 3 hours btw) I called ONCE AGAIN, navigated through the menu system and once again was finally put into the queue where I sat waiting for almost an hour. It was approaching the time when Verizon support closes and I was getting worried that nothing would be done for me, but I finally got yet another rep who assure me he would get me back onto my postpaid account after I asked him to just do so, realizing the extender was just NOT going to work on prepaid. He by the way, said to me that he just could not understand how any of them could even suggest that it WOULD. S, I waited..and waited..and waited as he kept putting me on hold until he finally said he would have to transfer me to someone else to get me back onto my postpaid account. Then I waited about another half hour for that to happen and when it finally did, I then waited, and waited and waited while HE kept putting me on hold and coming back to me.
    At this point I just point blank asked him if this was actually going to happen. He assured me it would. We were about a half hour away from them closing for the day so I asked him if he had time to get the network extender up and running once again as well. He then said that he would need to send me to someone else in order for that to happen. Well at this point (which was at about the 6 hour mark) I said to him... "you know what? please lets not do anything. Just leave me on the prepaid plan for now so I know I actually have an account, and account number and pin, so that I can go somewhere tomorrow and port my number out from Verizon." I assured him that I was not mad at him. He only doing the best he could. I said to him that at one time Verizon was the best. It was wonderful. But at this time it is very broken. Why I should have to spend a half hour in their menu system to try and figure out how to talk to an agent, why I should have to go through literally 6 hours of talking to those agents only to be told things that just weren't true, and most of all why it should take this long to get my account back from a prepaid account to a postpaid account and STILL go to bed last night not having had it done...when I can go right over to an AT&T (or other) sore and have my number ported literally in 5 minutes, is absolutely amazing and a sad state as far as Verizon is concerned. Absolutely. So today I WILL go port my number out, it will take all of 5 minutes to accomplish...and Verizon couldn't migrate it back to a postpaid account after 6 hours of having tried.
    Something is definitely wrong here and like I said from the start, this writing was to accomplish two thing...to relieve my stress level and help ANYONE else maybe avoid all this. Verizon PREPAID ACCOUNTS DO NOT WORK WITH NETWORK EXTENDERS...not unless someone ELSE has that extender working on his/her POSTPAID account. If anyone at Verizon tells you otherwise, they just don't know what they are talking about and are just making it up on the spot. Period.

So I am keeping my fingers crossed that I have achieved my goal here with this. I will know later today when either my stress finally subsides or gets worse. Wish me luck.

By the way, not only am I out the $200 prepaid Visa I was supposed to get due to the fact that I went to prepaid, I am also out the $50 that I paid yesterday to get INTO .a prepaid account. So essentially I traded in a Galxy S10e for nothing more than a network extender that I cannot use!
    Last edited by californiajay; 06-07-2019 at 12:38 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Verizonwireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Is there a kindle edition of this?

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    LOL. Would you believe I am now back on the phone with them? I guess I thrive on stress. Only half hour so far!

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Sorry not reading that.

A) too long no way you need that much wording to make your point

B) Paragraphs. Use them.

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Update:
    I finally got a postpaid account setup once again and the network extender is working, however:
    1 - I cannot get into my account online until I receive a US Post Office email from them with a temporary password. So I cannot check on things yet.
    2 - After all was done I got a txt message from ONE of them, not sure who, saying "I see you switched to a prepaid account. As we had discussed the network extender will NOT work on prepaid and thus you do not qualify for the credit that was given you." Duh! Did he not have a clue as to why I was talking to him all that time, and why he gave me the credit to begin with?
    3 - I was promised a callback from the person who setup the extender for me on this new account this morning...never got that call.
    Question: Am I live in the Twilight Zone?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    This is just your first paragraph and is all I have read so far

"I am going to tell a story here, probably to help gain some sanity back and to get some of the stress level that I have achieved to subside if I can. It's a long story and I am going to make a conclusion at the end, and I think that another part of why I am doing this might be to help someone else avoid the stress level that I have come to. Here goes:
    About 3 months ago, I went from Tmobile to Verizon because I was not totally happy with Tmobile. I wanted to get onto Verizon's double data prepaid plan which would give me 15gb for $45. Knowing that Verizon coverage pretty much sucks here, I also needed to buy a network extender. So I went over to the Verizon store with my wife who was going to join me in a family plan on this 16gb deal."

OK first of all you could have stated

"About 3 months ago, I went from Tmobile to Verizon. I wanted to get onto Verizon's double data prepaid plan which would give me 15gb for $45. Knowing that Verizon coverage pretty much sucks here, I also needed to buy a network extender. So I went over to the Verizon store."

This would have made the exact same point without all the needless garbage. There is nothing that I took out that added anything necessary to your issue.

Also if Verizon coverage sucks why get it? You do realize that a network extender uses your internet connection. Meaning NOT VERIZON. So if you're not using Verizon what's the point of getting a phone plan from them? So already I know something is screwy with your story. That's like me getting Sprint even though there is no Sprint coverage for 30 miles.

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    OK OK I get the criticism, I really do. I know I was wordy, I know I am not going to win any awards for this post, and know most will read a few words on go on with their lives. I think I just did it to get something off my chest, that's all. It was cathartic and I apologize for wasting anyone's time. If a mod wants to remove it, please do.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by californiajay View Post
    OK OK I get the criticism, I really do. I know I was wordy, I know I am not going to win any awards for this post, and know most will read a few words on go on with their lives. I think I just did it to get something off my chest, that's all. It was cathartic and I apologize for wasting anyone's time. If a mod wants to remove it, please do.
    How do att and T-Mobile compare to Verizon at home?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I think this was an exercise in self-flagellation.

Never trust reps in the store. If it is not written on the receipt it did not happen.

Hofoers know if in doubt about reception try 1 month prepaid of prospective carrier backbones with new throw away numbers.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    How do att and T-Mobile compare to Verizon at home?
    ATT - Pretty good at my home
    Tmobile - Not bad

There are problems that I have with them though. I drive into many remote areas and find that Verizon gives me what I need there. ATT is spotty. Tmobile has a different issue. It seem that it will always try to and stay connected to band 4 even if I see a better signal using Cellmapper on band 12 or 71. It's frustrating because I used to have to be on a call which was on the verge of dropping rather than the phone switching to either of the other bands.

Device(s)
    Iphone Xs, Ipad Pro 11"
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Cricket
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Why would you switch to a carrier you know has awful coverage in your area? That right there was your first mistake.

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    I think this was an exercise in self-flagellation.

Never trust reps in the store. If it is not written on the receipt it did not happen.

Hofoers know if in doubt about reception try 1 month prepaid of prospective carrier backbones with new throw away numbers.
    My wife once got something in writing from a Sprint rep in the store that was false. She literally had to find out what Dan Hess' personal number was to complain to HIM about it (true story). He asked "how did you get my number?" She just responded by saying "never mind that just satisfy me, I have this in writing." He did!

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ckoch125 View Post
    Why would you switch to a carrier you know has awful coverage in your area? That right there was your first mistake.
    Because I am out and about very very often in areas where Verizon has the only coverage. It works great when the extender is working and I am now back on a postpaid plan with that extender. Although I am paying more than I want, I am getting what I pay for I spose.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (main), ZTE Z223, Samsung Factor & Galaxy Prime
    Carrier(s)
    VZW (main), AT&TWS, Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    If you are having a horrid experience with Verizon or Verizon Wireless anything like similar to as detailed above after spending much time with normal customer service and tech support, then contact Ronan Dunne's office, head of Consumer/Residential https://www.verizon.com/about/our-co...contact/870973 selecting for Reason, Voice a concern . I have had to more than once in the last several months, and one can expect a response from one of his assistants within two business days. One of my issues was with the network extender.

As far as the network extender californiajay, I suppose you are maybe using it while traveling. For within your home, why not Wifi and having Wifi Calling enabled? This works for many, but not everyone, as I had signs of an advanced hacker who once lived in my apartment building, so I respect your reasoning if not doable for you. Also with the year end Verizon's CDMA shutdown, more spectrum is already being shifted to 4G LTE which improved the coverage in my neighborhood by one bar.

I too went through hell with Verizon on three separate issues since last fall, and saying I spent more than 24 hours on all three, even closer to 48 is not understating it. My stress level was escalated toward the end. With a network extender issue, no one, emphasize no one, within all levels of Verizon Wireless technical support knew the answer whether the range of the extender could be reduced so it be out of range of apartment neighbors. Over 9 hours on the phone with that one. Online and in store support was not any better. Samsung tech support who makes the extender was some helpful, plus an engineer on a forum like this shared an advanced power setting in the user admin interface could so simply be adjusted within a couple of minutes.

This may explain why many of us having problems with Verizon within the last several months https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeanbap...urcer-infosys/ . So fewer people to help, more of the more experienced reps laid off, newer reps not know as much of the tech stuff, not spending as much dollars on training staff on tech stuff, and layoffs do impact morale. And forecasting with the year-end CDMA shutdown, many with either older flip phones or older smartphones, won't find out with poor communication so far from Verizon https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...-CDMA-Shutdown with probably Verizon shedding more customers then.

Yes, Verizon's Wireless's network is better, but like all of the others, it has coverage holes. Sad to say after more than 20 years with Verizon Wireless directly and the customer service/tech support headaches recently, my time and my health was more worth it going elsewhere. So I switched to a VZW MVNO reseller last month and am more relaxed and very happy with the customer service and tech support at Charity Mobile. More discussion including a variety of other MVNO's at https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...ess-Providers/ . No MVNO will accept network extenders, your data speeds are limited to 5-8 mpbs vs. VZW Direct at 20-30+ mpbs (fine unless doing video or big downloads not on Wifi) and VZW Direct customers get priority if network congestion (again good with, as self not in an urban environment and very seldom go to big concerts or big sporting events). As reading any MVNO thread, the level of customer service and tech support vary greatly including whether need any service customization i.e. block text messaging on an aged relative's phone, with very budget ones typically being the worst, so do need to do your homework depending on your needs.
    Last edited by spurkcell; 06-08-2019 at 06:15 AM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Verizon has a special account they can add the network extender to for prepaid customers you just have to find a knowledgeable rep to get it done for you. Probably over the phone regular customer service and not prepaid support. Or have a friend with a postpaid account add it to theirs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast