Thread: Verizon prepaid phone sim swap ?

Feedback Score

Verizon prepaid phone sim swap ?

I have a Verizon Moto E4 prepaid phone with an active account. I would like to replace it with Verizon Prepaid Moto G6 purchneased from Best Buy. Can I simply install the active SIM card from the old into the new phone or do I need to have Verizon transfer the account to the new Moto G6 Play SIM and IMEI ? - Thanks

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bamx2 View Post
    I have a Verizon Moto E4 prepaid phone with an active account. I would like to replace it with Verizon Prepaid Moto G6 purchneased from Best Buy. Can I simply install the active SIM card from the old into the new phone or do I need to have Verizon transfer the account to the new Moto G6 Play SIM and IMEI ? - Thanks
    Just swap the SIM. I do it all the time when testing

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    As long as you are on Verizon directly I think things work fine. If you are on a MVNO, I don't think it is that easy if you still want VoLTE, etc.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless / Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I swapped my E5 Play SIM into the unlocked X4 I am using now. Works great, and even VoLTE works fine.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, PagePlus, TracFone, Tello, TMO, Xfinity
    Feedback Score
    If you have not already done so, and met the "ransom" requirement on the E4, ask for the unlock code, so it could be activated on a MVNO if desired.

After you get the G6, if you switch the device in "my account" or with a rep (providing the new IMEI) you could also get the G6 unlocked after spending the appropriate amount in monthly renewals.

Feedback Score
    So if I have met the $50 "ransom"requirement on the Moto E4 and have it unlocked . When move the sim into a new Verizon PP Moto G6 Play do the "ramsom" requirement ($50 of service) start all over again ? - Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    If you have not already done so, and met the "ransom" requirement on the E4, ask for the unlock code, so it could be activated on a MVNO if desired.

After you get the G6, if you switch the device in "my account" or with a rep (providing the new IMEI) you could also get the G6 unlocked after spending the appropriate amount in monthly renewals.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    Unlocking the E4 is not unlocking the G6. You would have to meet the requirements for the G6 separately.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, PagePlus, TracFone, Tello, TMO, Xfinity
    Feedback Score
    The Moto E4 ransom is $75. If you had been making monthly payments for any length of time, you will have long past met that requirement, just request the unlock before switching phones.

I don't know what the Moto G6 Play ransom is, but I suspect it is more than $50. After you give the new Moto G6 IMEI to Verizon, the ransom period starts anew, but again, with regular monthly payments it should not take long to meet the new amount.