Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is Verizon Still the Best for Coverage?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Is Verizon Still the Best for Coverage?

Back in the day Verizon was the best for coverage in the USA. Will all of the talk about ATT build-out for First Net and T-Mobile expansion, is Verizon still the USA coverage leader?

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    Back in the day Verizon was the best for coverage in the USA. Will all of the talk about ATT build-out for First Net and T-Mobile expansion, is Verizon still the USA coverage leader?
    AT&t still has better coverage than T-Mobile. TMobile has a very long way to go in terms of having usable Nationwide coverage. And AT&t firstnet deployment is going pretty well.. so I would still keep Verizon. If you don't have Verizon go to Verizon.

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Coverage yes. Speeds no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonavillicana View Post
    Coverage yes. Speeds no

I would take coverage over speed any day.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonavillicana View Post
    Coverage yes. Speeds no
    Coverage is actually something useful, you can't get any speed if you don't have coverage.
    Speed by itself, once it goes over 5-10Mbps, it's irrelevant for a phone user.
    I am on a MVNO that works over VZW network. I get constantly speeds over 25-30Mbps on testing... that's plenty for any application.

So yes, I recommend Verizon too...

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Coverage is actually something useful, you can't get any speed if you don't have coverage.
    I am on a MVNO that works over VZW network. I get constantly speeds over 25-30Mbps on testing... that's plenty for any application.
    Well I agree with that as well. You can't get any type of usable service without coverage. So I agree. Anything above in my opinion 20 megabytes a second is irrelevant for a phone.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post

So yes, I recommend Verizon too...
    Right now, at home here in Oklahoma, I just ran a speed test with Verizon Prepaid and got 41.9/3.36. Last week at work I got 3+ down, < 1 up, but it was still usable for a hotspot (doing onboarding for new employer, their Wi-Fi had issues with https sites).
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    One review I looked at recently by “whistle out” actually claims that ATT has the most coverage (like 71% of all America) out of all 4. But that’s it’s 3g coverage and NOT LTE. When you strictly compare LTE then Verizon was at like 70% and AT$T was at like 58% covered.

Soon AT&T will likely have a bigger coverage map on paper because they are required to with the FirstNet contract.

In the end only one thing matters. What’s coverage like where you live. I think in general coverage will continue to expand for all carriers. But right now that’s not Verizon’s focus. They are using capex for density and building out 5G where AT&T is using capex to expand coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Is Verizon Still the Best for Coverage?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    One review I looked at recently by “whistle out” actually claims that ATT has the most coverage (like 71% of all America) out of all 4. But that’s it’s 3g coverage and NOT LTE. When you strictly compare LTE then Verizon was at like 70% and AT$T was at like 58% covered.

Soon AT&T will likely have a bigger coverage map on paper because they are required to with the FirstNet contract.

In the end only one thing matters. What’s coverage like where you live. I think in general coverage will continue to expand for all carriers. But right now that’s not Verizon’s focus. They are using capex for density and building out 5G where AT&T is using capex to expand coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Oh Oops! Thanks for everyone’s answers in the AT&T thread.

When will AT&T upgrade the 4G only towers with LTE? We have firstnet around here but a few 4G areas west of Reading, PA. Any reports of folks getting LTE where there was only 4G?

I know it’s not a big deal, just seeing lots of Verizon activity right now and not much AT&T. But I guess it goes in cycles. AT&T upgraded to 4G equipment just a few years back so I guess we need to allow it to complete it’s useful life.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I think we will have 3 solid carriers. Without sprint I think T-Mobile will still get there but will take longer.

Att seems to be building out band 4 nicely while Verizon has band 13 all over, and T-Mobile will eventually have band 71 widespread. I have a feeling att could be top dog for a while with their firstnet build but I could be wrong on that

Coverage wise all 3 should be similar over time (even if T-Mobile doesn't get sprint) they have big band 71 plans.

My theory is att has an advantage for a while they may be hard to beat, with Verizon and att maybe one upping each other. T-Mobile will match but I think it will take some time with or without sprint and longer without sprint.

In the cell world anything can happen . Way back I didn't expect T-Mobile to get nationwide low band, or as much mm wave as they got

Device(s)
    Samsung SM-N960U, SM-N950U
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It really depends on your location. In my area, AT&T not only has better coverage, they have less congestion. I have both FirstNet and VZW on a government "first responder" account. There are areas where the VZW can't make, or drops, calls, and where data will not connect even with "5 bars".

In fairness, I've also experienced one SMS send failure with FirstNet at a large event (not during an emergency), and one remote area where the FirstNet phone had coverage because it was roaming on T-Mobile (UMTS coverage, but strong signal), but neither AT&T nor VZW had any presence of their own.

Sent from my [SM-N960U] using HoFo mobile app
    Sent from a Sonim XP-8

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

depends

It depends on what you need. If you need most voice coverage in rural areas away from major highways -- Verizon is king by a huge margin, in my experience. If you want simultaneous voice and data, you need to be on LTE with Verizon and have strong, reliable LTE signal. For this application, AT&T is far better. I would say, to keep it simple, for voice only Verizon has the best coverage.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Coverage is always regional. I have traveled to some markets where At&t has had much better coverage than Verizon and vice versa, in some cases no coverage by one or the other. No carrier has 100% coverage and likely never will. The FCC still issues/regulates licenses to the carriers and ultimately has the final say as to which carriers have coverage in a particular market.
    Last edited by veriztd; 06-10-2019 at 11:31 PM.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Coverage is always regional. I have traveled to some markets where At&t has had much better or coverage than Verizon and vice versa
    Definitely true. Just in my area, the eastern Iowa Verizon Wireless' "original" coverage was this mix of Bell Atlantic, US West and I think there was another one in there, and they had VERY different buildout strategies. A bunch of the rest is ex-Midwest Wireless (they were boughty by Alltel who was bought by Verizon Wireless.) One county will have a few cell sites strategically placed on the hill tops, while the next will have cell sites like every half mile along the highway at least, whether the area the highway is passing through is populated or not.

Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    well it depends on ones needs. do you travel alot or live out in the sticks then yes verizon will be the best choice even though your going to pay for it as verizon isn't looking for customers that are looking to save $$$ they want premium customers as it's a premium service. when i was with T-mo it was a disaster go inside buildings no service go here go there only 1 or 2 bars of service!!! then there's them over selling there network giving unusable internet speeds as i could not even hit a 1 MBPS on T-MO in 4G LTE!!! with verizon i get service everywhere and in 4G LTE i can hit a 100 MBPS most of the time but i pay to have them speeds and to be put first in line to connect to the internets as i am on the above unlimited plan vs the go unlimited plan where you can be throttled at anytime!!! and when we go camping or up into canada we have to drive up through northern maine there's only two carriers up there that have service us celluar or verizon. so yea i have to say verizon has the best network and also good network MGNT and the largest foot print. and customer service that's in america and not some third world country

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast