Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

IPhone X on T-Mo

I’ve noticed that my iPhone X on T-Mobile only has one or two bars at home... but my Galaxy S10 has FULL bars. As far as I know they both cover the same bands with the exception of Band 71 and that’s not near me anyway.

Does the S10 just have that much better antennas or is it the Qualcomm radio or am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    there is no standard amongst brands of phones regarding how many bars are displayed for a particular signal strength. Both may be receiving the same level of signal and their OS reports it the way you observe it.

Years ago AT&T was criticized for reporting very optimistic bar displays for weak signals. They adjusted that to be a little more realistic. Also, some people report that Samsung & Qualcomm actually do have better reception, so there's that also.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by p6B5Nm5b View Post
    I’ve noticed that my iPhone X on T-Mobile only has one or two bars at home... but my Galaxy S10 has FULL bars. As far as I know they both cover the same bands with the exception of Band 71 and that’s not near me anyway.

Does the S10 just have that much better antennas or is it the Qualcomm radio or am I missing something?

In my experience Samsung generally seem to have more bars for some reason at least that's what it seems like to me. Full bars but different db readings seemed to be the norm. My Samsungs would show -110 with full bars, while my iPhone with half bars would be -75 or -180 so seemed backwards

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    No one has ever accused a iPhone of having the best reception or anything near that compared to similar priced phones. However the bars shown on your phone are not a good method of measuring reception. I have sat next to people using the same T-Mobile network in a large building trying to use their iPhone X, that would timing out on trying to connect to the network. Where I was successful in using my S9 that does have a better antenna. The last iPhone I had was the i4 that Steve Jobs coined the term "Antennagate".

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

IPhone X on T-Mo

Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    there is no standard amongst brands of phones regarding how many bars are displayed for a particular signal strength. Both may be receiving the same level of signal and their OS reports it the way you observe it.
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    Full bars but different db readings seemed to be the norm.
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    the bars shown on your phone are not a good method of measuring reception.
    Thank you, you’re obviously all correct, but in this case it’s so dramatically different I don’t think it’s just the measurement scale? I guess I could go into service mode and get the actual signal measurement?

Device(s)
    LG G8, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I moved to a rural area and had to get an Android. My 7 Plus was getting no service. I chose the V30 due to band 71 but it's not deployed near me. So I am holding onto the promise that the refarming will be done soon like they promised.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk Pro.
    ƸӜƷ•°*””*°•.I'm lost. If you find me, Please return me to myself.•°*””*°•.ƸӜƷ

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Septembersrain View Post
    I moved to a rural area and had to get an Android. My 7 Plus was getting no service. I chose the V30 due to band 71 but it's not deployed near me. So I am holding onto the promise that the refarming will be done soon like they promised.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk Pro.
    Not on T-mobile currently but also did something similar. Moved from an Xs Max to an S10+ I also see better reception and performance.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by jpiszcz View Post
    Not on T-mobile currently but also did something similar. Moved from an Xs Max to an S10+ I also see better reception and performance.
    That is why when I see someone post how bad of reception they are getting, I always want to know if they have a iPhone that has inferior reception to start with. Apple has the most expensive phones on the market. However it has the reception of much cheaper phone. Apple just makes me wonder how they can sell so many iPhones that even cost more than great Android phones. Apple sells iPhone as Bling Bling marketing devices not on technology where they are always behind the technology curve. If Steve Jobs was still alive I wonder if Apple would ever have started producing phones with screens larger than 4.5 inch since Steve was so against large screens.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Best to check the overall signal and band being reported by both devices. One may be camping on band 12 while the other may be on band 4 or 2. I don't typically have this issue, but devices can be connected to different cell sites. This usually only happens when you are in an area where signals from many are of similar strength/weakness.

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

IPhone X on T-Mo

Quote Originally Posted by jpiszcz View Post

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
    Reception probably but I dunno about performance... Apple chips still have the performance lead over any Qualcomm chips.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    To clarify I mean LTE Network performance and speed.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    An Intel X is a far inferior device to a Samsung S7 or newer, and the Samsung phones seem to get better with every generation. That being said, it's also true that there is no standard way to measure bars. Samsung phones are pretty conservative, and show fewer bars than Motorola phones.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yeah Samsung sure is great. Just look at the Galaxy Fold and Note 7. ;-)

iPhones have just as good reception except right at the fringes of usable signal. There was a recent extensive test and graph showing that until the signal gets below -125 the XS and newer Androids were virtually the same. I’ve never had issues with reception on any of the iPhones I’ve had. My wife switched over from Samsung after seeing the differences in droid versus iOS. The platform may be a personal preference but reception issues are vastly overstated.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    Yeah Samsung sure is great. Just look at the Galaxy Fold and Note 7. ;-)
    They've both had their issues. Remember antennagate and bendgate? But that's all irrelevant, since we're addressing reception here.

iPhones have just as good reception except right at the fringes of usable signal. There was a recent extensive test and graph showing that until the signal gets below -125 the XS and newer Androids were virtually the same. I’ve never had issues with reception on any of the iPhones I’ve had. My wife switched over from Samsung after seeing the differences in droid versus iOS. The platform may be a personal preference but reception issues are vastly overstated.
    The only place it really matters is right at the fringe, and the reality is, you're going to end up at the fringe fairly often, because there are fringes around every dead spot, and there are a lot of dead spots.

No iPhone can keep up with an S8 or newer Samsung. The Qualcomm iPhone 8+ was the best, but lacked 4x4 MIMO, and doesn't have the right bands for the best reception on AT&T and T-Mobile, B14 and B71 respectively. The newer iPhones use Intel radios and thus have much weaker reception in fringe reception areas.

The software is a personal preference, most people just don't realize that you're giving up a lot of reception/coverage to get iOS versus the latest Samsung devices. And yes, there are many places where a Galaxy S9 or S10 will be cruising along on LTE while the iPhone will have no data or no service at all.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    And yes, there are many places where a Galaxy S9 or S10 will be cruising along on LTE while the iPhone will have no data or no service at all.
    I live in a city so I don’t have any issue with dead spots I’m just surprised at the disparity in two phone in the same location being so dramatic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast