Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by p6B5Nm5b View Post
    I live in a city so I don’t have any issue with dead spots I’m just surprised at the disparity in two phone in the same location being so dramatic.
    Cities can still have reception issues indoors, especially in elevators and bathrooms and such. Part of it is the Intel radios, and part of it is that the antenna and RF design of the iPhone X is just lousy. The iPhone X consistently performs worse than an iPhone 8/8+ with the same radio. Combine the two, and you've got a real dog reception wise. It's unfortunate that Apple compromised on RF for both the physical design of the device AND for their war with Qualcomm.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    Cities can still have reception issues indoors, especially in elevators and bathrooms and such. Part of it is the Intel radios, and part of it is that the antenna and RF design of the iPhone X is just lousy. The iPhone X consistently performs worse than an iPhone 8/8+ with the same radio. Combine the two, and you've got a real dog reception wise. It's unfortunate that Apple compromised on RF for both the physical design of the device AND for their war with Qualcomm.
    Much of this is more of that actual manufacturing of the device/antenna than the chipset or OS.
    I have an iPhone 8 on AT&T, and I've hit close to 300Mbps in Woodland Hills, CA. Similarly, on my LG G7, I've hit +250Mbps on T-Mobile.
    Apple iPhone 8
    1 bar = RSRP -112dBm or worse (on mine)
    2 bars = RSRP -111 dBm or better

LG G7
    2 bars = RSRP -115dBm
    3 bars = RSRP -114dBm to -109 dBm
    4 bars = RSRP -108dBm
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Much of this is more of that actual manufacturing of the device/antenna than the chipset or OS.
    I have an iPhone 8 on AT&T, and I've hit close to 300Mbps in Woodland Hills, CA. Similarly, on my LG G7, I've hit +250Mbps on T-Mobile.
    Apple iPhone 8
    Some of it is, but an Intel iPhone 8 will still lose signal well before a Qualcomm iPhone 8. The only weird exception is Verizon, where the Qualcomm iPhone 8 will drop to CDMA before the Intel iPhone 8 will lose LTE and thus signal completely, but the Intel radio is still getting worse reception, and loses voice/text way before the Qualcomm iPhone.

Speed tests are interesting, but not as important as cell edge performance. An Intel iPhone X will have no service while a Samsung device with a Qualcomm radio is pulling LTE speeds.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Some of it is, but an Intel iPhone 8 will still lose signal well before a Qualcomm iPhone 8. The only weird exception is Verizon, where the Qualcomm iPhone 8 will drop to CDMA before the Intel iPhone 8 will lose LTE and thus signal completely, but the Intel radio is still getting worse reception, and loses voice/text way before the Qualcomm iPhone.

Speed tests are interesting, but not as important as cell edge performance. An Intel iPhone X will have no service while a Samsung device with a Qualcomm radio is pulling LTE speeds.
    Some of that service / loss of signal is more likely due to Apple and its overall antenna / lack of 4x4 MIMO than Intel chip vs. Qualcomm chip. Having both - AND - testing iPhone 7 / LG G6 (both have band 12/4/2) in a known weak area - which drops to 'No Service' (and many complaints to T-Mo), both lose service within seconds of each other, and both were usable up to the point of dropped service where it goes from ~114dBm to -124dBm to -140dBm in the canyons. T-Mobile claims that the area all has 4G LTE band 12 'verified' - but neither device - or even my LG G7 can pick up service. Best I've had was a single lock at -140dBm... on band 4.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB, iPad Pro 11" 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Unreal Mobile, Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Are the latest iPhonr XS and XS Max still using Intel radios in some SKUs?

Also, with regard to signal strength display - I wonder if it might be another factor in the algorithm at work - carrier aggregation. I wonder if the iPhone is showing the band from the tower with the least signal, or even averaging them where the Samsung is just showing the strongest signal?

—Kidd
    Hear me on Twitter: @alexkidd1 / Fun connection:

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Some of that service / loss of signal is more likely due to Apple and its overall antenna / lack of 4x4 MIMO than Intel chip vs. Qualcomm chip.
    Yes, those are both contributing factors. A Qualcomm 8+ is not as good as a Galaxy S8+ (Qualcomm X16 with 4x4 MIMO and good RF), but better than an Intel 8+.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexKidd1977 View Post
    Are the latest iPhonr XS and XS Max still using Intel radios in some SKUs?
    All Xr and Xs iPhones are Intel. No Qualcomm. The 7/7+, 8/8+ and X were the only ones that had multiple models for Intel vs. Qualcomm in the US market. iPhone 4 was Infineon (Intel), VeriPhone 4 and 4s-6s were Qualcomm.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    All Xr and Xs iPhones are Intel. No Qualcomm. The 7/7+, 8/8+ and X were the only ones that had multiple models for Intel vs. Qualcomm in the US market. iPhone 4 was Infineon (Intel), VeriPhone 4 and 4s-6s were Qualcomm.
    Yikes! I'm glad I've still got my Qualcomm based Verizon iPhone X then. The XS Max has such a big screen but I'm over paying $1,000+ for a phone for a long time I think - especially if it has the inferior radio.

--Kidd

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexKidd1977 View Post
    Yikes! I'm glad I've still got my Qualcomm based Verizon iPhone X then. The XS Max has such a big screen but I'm over paying $1,000+ for a phone for a long time I think - especially if it has the inferior radio.
    The Qualcomm iPhones get a better signal, but whether $1000 is overpaying for a phone is a whole different discussion, and up for debate!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The Qualcomm iPhones get a better signal, but whether $1000 is overpaying for a phone is a whole different discussion, and up for debate!
    Just start a new thread. :P

--Kidd

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2