Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast

Thread: New New Wal-Mart Promo? 25GB for $40/mo with Autopay

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-410
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by actinic View Post
    So what's the verdict, you guys happy with it? I'm guessing there's few of you who might hit 25 Gb, the rest not even close to approaching the limit but happy to justify the price for the sake of having headroom when needed.

After 3 years away from AT&T my opinion hasn't changed much. Overall better coverage but considerably slower than T-Mobile with the usual YMMV. Feels like I've time warped back to 2016 with similar feelings of slight disappointment knowing AT&T could do better.
    I'll bite - so far, so good. Obviously, AT&T can do better in certain areas, but I'm in a market where AT&T smokes T-Mobile for speeds and coverage (I have a friend with the same devices and we've been kind of comparing notes across the two carriers). Both work well enough, but for the cost of my line, I'd get 10GB with T-Mobile or 17GB+rollover+8GB with AT&T.

I moved my line to an eSIM and was able to take advantage of the newer iPhones' dual-SIM capabilities. I had been previously with Cricket and that wouldn't have worked (the physical SIM I'm using is Truphone, solely for the second number).

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    So what's the verdict, you guys happy with it? I'm guessing there's few of you who might hit 25 Gb, the rest not even close to approaching the limit but happy to justify the price for the sake of having headroom when needed.

After 3 years away from AT&T my opinion hasn't changed much. Overall better coverage but considerably slower than T-Mobile with the usual YMMV. Feels like I've time warped back to 2016 with similar feelings of slight disappointment knowing AT&T could do better.
    For me coverage wasn’t an issue - I’ve been on Cricket for 4+ years. The two reasons I switched to ATT were: unthrottled data and hotspot. I pay only slightly more but get better data speeds and hotspot. The 25 GB of data was just a bonus. I never come close. In fact my plan just renewed and with the carryover I’m starting this cycle with 33 GB! The hotspot comes right out of your high speed data so it’s not limited like with Cricket.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by glowblue View Post
    For me coverage wasn’t an issue - I’ve been on Cricket for 4+ years. The two reasons I switched to ATT were: unthrottled data and hotspot. I pay only slightly more but get better data speeds and hotspot. The 25 GB of data was just a bonus. I never come close. In fact my plan just renewed and with the carryover I’m starting this cycle with 33 GB! The hotspot comes right out of your high speed data so it’s not limited like with Cricket.
    I could have written the exact same post. I probably should have gone with the 8gb 360 day annual plan for $300.00 but I was worried about what would be offered after it expires. I have noticed that my calls go through quicker with At&t Prepaid compared to Cricket.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6 / S9+
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM/Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    Obviously, AT&T can do better in certain areas, but I'm in a market where AT&T smokes T-Mobile for speeds and coverage
    Curious, where are you and is that performance pretty consistent within that area?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    310-410
    Feedback Score

New New Wal-Mart Promo? 25GB for $40/mo with Autopay

Curious, where are you and is that performance pretty consistent within that area?
    Sure - I'm currently in the Indianapolis market and it's always been pretty good for AT&T (I went postpaid->Cricket->Prepaid over the years with brief stints elsewhere). Although I'm not running speed tests 24/7, things have generally *worked* (Cricket would often hit the caps any time I've tried), AT&T Prepaid has been consistent in that it also has worked, but speeds have varied between the 20Mbps range all the way up to 250Mbps (depending on bands and CA kicking in). T-Mobile isn't bad around here, but there are pockets where it's struggling with congestion or building penetration (no Band 71 either).

AT&T is the ILEC for much of the area and it seems they're taking advantage of this by adding lots of small cells in downtown Indy and capacity to macros.

When I had Cricket, I traveled quite a bit throughout the Northeast and Midwest and generally had okay service, other than some more congested markets and spottiness in rural parts of VT, NH, WI, and IA. I'd expect AT&T Prepaid to be at least the same.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Activated the Alcatel idealXtra on Monday. Bonus data arrived today. Finally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Curious question - that's like asking "how is it that you find a Tesla model 3 better than a yugo?". I find T-mobile still lacks severely compared to AT&T / Verizon.

I have friends who stubbornly stick with T-mobile post-paid even though I tell them how much better Cricket / ATT is for much cheaper. When we go out to many places, often they have no data on their phones (newer phones like S9, etc), or are in a dead zone. While I have good data on my (formerly Cricket) ATT phones.

I've been telling my friends since 2015 to switch to Cricket for cheaper ($20 per line vs $60 - $70 with T-mobile for them), and now 25gb per month at ATT prepaid for less than $30 per line. They still won't listen, thinking T-mobile is best despite proof being in front of them when they complain about being a dead zone at dinner while I've got full data.

I find it hard to fathom people who will stick with T-mobile for so much more money than go with ATT or Verizon prepaid for less. By my calculation, one of my good friends has been paying $65 - $70 for T-mobile post-paid this entire time since I switch to prepaid in 2015. Paying $20 - $30 per line for the same amount of data, I've paid about $1,400 while my friend has paid $3,120 for inferior service on T-mobile. I just can't understand it. My friend makes less money than I do, has less saved up, but keeps paying more than double for stupid cell service that is worse than mine.

ATT prepaid has been great, just like Cricket was before. With the exception of the one little hiccup of loss of bonus data all is working great. Even better than my Verizon prepaid line which often was throttled far too much.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tersanyus View Post
    Activated the Alcatel idealXtra on Monday. Bonus data arrived today. Finally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    When the bonus is applied, where exactly do you see it? I know it will tell you online, but does it pop up? or does the available data bar just say 25gb?

I activated last week Wednesday and still don't see the bonus data

Feedback Score
    There's a second bar that shows up for the bonus data. Also there's a notice that shows up with a message that you got it.

Feedback Score
    Doing well in month one here. Coverage at home and on the Oregon coast has been much better than tmobile. Speed tests are noticeably faster than last time I tried them and lefty in the 80 down range and double the wife's Verizon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB, iPad Pro 11" 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Unreal Mobile, Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprintleaver View Post
    I find it hard to fathom people who will stick with T-mobile for so much more money than go with ATT or Verizon prepaid for less. By my calculation, one of my good friends has been paying $65 - $70 for T-mobile post-paid this entire time since I switch to prepaid in 2015. Paying $20 - $30 per line for the same amount of data, I've paid about $1,400 while my friend has paid $3,120 for inferior service on T-mobile. I just can't understand it. My friend makes less money than I do, has less saved up, but keeps paying more than double for stupid cell service that is worse than mine.
    Is it possible that phone subsidies are a factor for your friends staying with T-Mobile? That's one obvious reason that comes to mind for me. Having less money probably means they have less credit and money to buy a premium phone outright to put it on a cheap prepaid service. Having the cell company essentially finance their phone is worth the price to those that need that.

--Kidd
    Hear me on Twitter: @alexkidd1 / On YouTube: @AlexKidd4Fun

Feedback Score
    How do I get eSIM on this plan? I got the bonus but want to use my iPhone eSIM. Can I do this over the phone?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    310-410
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Always_late View Post
    How do I get eSIM on this plan? I got the bonus but want to use my iPhone eSIM. Can I do this over the phone?
    You'll need an eSIM activation card (it's a card that has its own ICCID and a unique QR code on it)—you can get one from an Apple Store for free or an AT&T store for $5. I didn't have anyone do anything with my account, but went to My Device > Update Device and added the new ICCID. From there, I scanned it and added it to my phone, which then deactivated the physical SIM and activated eSIM.

Feedback Score
    I switched from VZW prepaid to this plan in AUG/2019.

Here's why:

Name:  VZW test SEP.12.2019 7.35pm.png
Views: 369
Size:  20.0 KB

The one good thing about the VZW was that it was too slow for the automatic Windows 10 updates on the laptop.

As soon as I connected to the ATT hotspot i used up about 6-7 GB of data between the android update an the windows 10 update.

It took about 8 days to get the bonus 17GB.

Name:  ATT SEP-15-2019 11.33 am fastest yet.png
Views: 362
Size:  21.4 KB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmule View Post
    I switched from VZW prepaid to this plan in AUG/2019.

Here's why:

Name:  VZW test SEP.12.2019 7.35pm.png
Views: 369
Size:  20.0 KB

The one good thing about the VZW was that it was too slow for the automatic Windows 10 updates on the laptop.

As soon as I connected to the ATT hotspot i used up about 6-7 GB of data between the android update an the windows 10 update.

It took about 8 days to get the bonus 17GB.

Name:  ATT SEP-15-2019 11.33 am fastest yet.png
Views: 362
Size:  21.4 KB
    Yup, don't miss Verizon one bit. So sad they throttle so heavily with their "best network" advertising.

Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast