Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: New New Wal-Mart Promo? 25GB for $40/mo with Autopay

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Pomgup View Post
    How boring of you to explain it in a simple, logical and sane way. It's much more fun to develop a conspiracy theory, such as deprioritization or invaders from Mars or whatever.
    It's no fun that way

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    In my area, one Walmart was advertising the promotion, while another wasn't. I thought I'd attach a picture just in case anyone was curious (not that it sounds like it matters since it's all done online with a phone you can buy there):

Name:  ATTPrepaid25.jpg
Views: 1129
Size:  114.2 KB

I'm really tempted to pick up a BYOD SIM kit and try it since it's counted as a "phone" for promotions at other stores.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueScreenOfTOM View Post
    Not yet. My plan is to port my old number over to Google Voice. I may or may not do that today...
    My port is complete and I've now switched the 25GB Wal-Mart SIM from the crappy LG burner phone over to my primary phone. Everything seems good so far. Only thing left to verify is that the bonus data appears next month after auto refill.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by vartanarsen View Post
    It's no fun that way
    Have you considered invaders from Mars? Just speaking from my own personal tastes...

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Has anyone else gotten their bonus data?

I activate today, ported a few hours later and swapped phones. I can't use the crappy Walmart phone until the bonus data is added, hah.
    Hopefully I didn't lose the promotion by swapping phones too quickly.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yes. It took two days for it to appear for me. If you look through the Slickdeals thread, you'll see the time it takes seems to be all over the map. Give it 10 days and if it's still not there, put the SIM back in the Wal-Mart phone and call the number listed on the promotion. They should be able to fix it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueScreenOfTOM View Post
    Yes. It took two days for it to appear for me. If you look through the Slickdeals thread, you'll see the time it takes seems to be all over the map. Give it 10 days and if it's still not there, put the SIM back in the Wal-Mart phone and call the number listed on the promotion. They should be able to fix it.
    That thread was interesting and I've been checking back quite a bit. It seems porting a number in has to be the same "market" or you lose the promo, and might still lose it. Most people have SIM swapped immediately and it worked. Also, from that thread it seems the Cingular Flip 2 is eligible for the bonus data.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    That thread was interesting and I've been checking back quite a bit. It seems porting a number in has to be the same "market" or you lose the promo, and might still lose it. Most people have SIM swapped immediately and it worked. Also, from that thread it seems the Cingular Flip 2 is eligible for the bonus data.
    Same market as what? The location of your billing address? The same area code as the number you’re replacing?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by randian View Post
    Same market as what? The location of your billing address? The same area code as the number you’re replacing?
    I was told that your actual number and the temporary number must have the same area code... I received the bonus data but hadn't ported in yet and if I were to do it, I would lose the promotion because my actual number was from Austin and the temporary number from Houston. I entered a Houston zip code during activation and that assigned me a Houston number.

Also, someone on the slick deals thread mentioned that prepaid customer service has to delete or reset your account after you port in your number so it deletes the promotion if it was already added.

I honestly don't know what to believe. All I can say is the prepaid billing system seems terrible.

I went through the whole process again today and had both numbers (actual and temporary) with the same area code. I ported a few hours later and now I'm waiting for the bonus data to show up. I hope it does. I already swapped phones and CS said doing so won't mess with the promotion. Fingers crossed.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by c47v3770 View Post
    I went through the whole process again today and had both numbers (actual and temporary) with the same area code. I ported a few hours later and now I'm waiting for the bonus data to show up. I hope it does. I already swapped phones and CS said doing so won't mess with the promotion. Fingers crossed.
    Good luck! Keep us posted if it comes back for your newly-ported number. I'm holding off because I don't live in the same area code as my number and even worse AT&T Prepaid seems to just assign the number based on your zip code. That just feels odd compared with my experiences on other services.

Just curious, where were you bringing your actual number over from?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    Good luck! Keep us posted if it comes back for your newly-ported number. I'm holding off because I don't live in the same area code as my number and even worse AT&T Prepaid seems to just assign the number based on your zip code. That just feels odd compared with my experiences on other services.

Just curious, where were you bringing your actual number over from?
    I hear ya. I actually looked up a random Austin zip code and used that to get a (512) number assigned, hah.
    I ported from T-Mobile.

Yeah, I will report back in a few days. First time I went through the process, the bonus data took 2-3 to be added.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'm currently on AT&T PostPaid. I'm thinking of going this route but want to make sure I'm doing this correctly as I have 5 voice lines and want to bring them back together in the best way possible that retains the 17GB promotional data. Steps:

1. Purchase phones from Walmart and activate
    2. Wait for bonus data to show on each line
    3. Port AT&T postpaid lines to T-Mobile prepaid temporarily
    4. Call in to AT&T prepaid customer service to port numbers from T-Mobile
    5. Wait for bonus data to show once again on each line
    6. Merge the lines into a multi-line account

Is this a good plan of action? Thank you.

Device(s)
    GN9 & LG V40
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, TMobile, ATT
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Well this has turned into a cluster for me. I will give my experience so maybe some wont follow it.

Jun 12 - Bought phone at walmart and then activated online on $50 plan(created account and enrolled auto pay)
    Called porting number to port my Xfinity line over. While talking to the rep I asked about using a different device. She transferred me to CS after port and the rep there assured me it would be fine/did not matter. She asked for other phone IMEI so I gave her my iPhone IMEI(probably biggest mistake)

June 15 I had got no bonus data or even a text about it so I called back in. Actually got a good rep and she went through many things but said I DID need to switch back to the Walmart phone(so I did and she changed the IMEI back in their system)

June 20 I received the 8GB double data bonus including a text message informing me, so I called back in and the rep was much less helpful at first denying their was a 25GB promo. Finally after I gave her the exact web address of the promo on ATT site she kept me on hold 15 minutes or so and just came back to say I must wait 10 days and then the data will be applied.

June 22 - Yesterday was 10 days and still only had 8GB bonus data so I called back. Maybe 30-40 minutes with rep and supervisor and they said that I do qualify for the promo but they couldn't fix it, all they could do was make a ticket and escalate it. But she could offer no timeline as to when it would actually be addressed / corrected.

So that's where I am. I do believe my biggest mistake was giving them a different IMEI and right after the number port as well so the ported number may have never registered with the Wally phone. Grrrr...lol I know, I know, I f#%ked up. Thing about it is I never use that much data anyways(usually 6-15GB) but it's the principle.

I think maybe my only option is starting over again be returning phone and purchasing another.

Device(s)
    GN9 & LG V40
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, TMobile, ATT
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by cellbot414 View Post
    Or the network was just congested

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Really, so can you explain the difference between congestion and deprioritization? Obviously there was congestion because that's when deprioritization happens.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    No. None of us can. Short of someone from AT&T coming in here and telling us how their deprioritization algorithm works, it's all just anecdotal speculation. If, every time your data is slow, you want to think "well this is because I'm on prepaid and they are deprioritizing me! AT&T sucks!" then this plan is not for you.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast