Thread: New New Wal-Mart Promo? 25GB for $40/mo with Autopay

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    Well, I'm giving it a try...some bits of data:

- I bought Cingular Flip 2 from Walmart (nostalgia + cheap = obvious choice).
    - My real phone number is not from the city/area code I live in, so I entered the zip code for that town instead (with the intent of porting my number in later - this is the one time I'm thrilled that my hometown is rather small and I didn't run the chance of getting a different area code that could complicate things).
    - I activated on the $50/month plan.
    - I ran into some issues trying to apply the payment (two different credit cards failed, but I was able to do one over the phone's automated menu).
    - Everything is active and we'll see if the bonus data appears.
    - Once the bonus data appears, I'll try porting my number over from Cricket.
    - I'll move my SIM from to my iPhone then, too.
    - If that works, I'll enable autopay for the $10 discount and pick up a few refills if someone has them on sale.

Fingers-crossed!
    So early on people were saying the 17gb bonus data would drop off after porting in a new number. Since you’re using the same area code you don’t think it will be a problem?

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    So early on people were saying the 17gb bonus data would drop off after porting in a new number. Since you’re using the same area code you don’t think it will be a problem?
    Yeah, after keeping an eye on the Slickdeals thread, it seems that porting ran into problems if the temporary number was from a different market (they go by zip code instead of area code). As there's no rules posted, so nothing is definitive, but I activated my soon-to-be-temporary number from the zip code that current number is using.

I seem to recall numbers within the same area code/city working differently - I had a SpareOne phone with AT&T Prepaid and they discontinued the plan and mailed me some LG flip phone for free with a couple of months of service—the LG came with a number already provisioned and they were able to change everything without having to create a new login and everything else. I'm not sure if it's exactly the same, but it seemed very unobtrusive.

I figure if it doesn't work, I can at least be a data point for others and I'll probably port back.

Device(s)
    GN9 & LG V40
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, TMobile, ATT
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    I believe maybe their was a glitch in ATT system when this promo began that was causing the issues with porting. I think thatis now resolved and I don't think porting will affect the promo moving forward.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueScreenOfTOM View Post
    Not only did the bonus data renew, but it appears to have rolled over. OLAM shows "27.2 of 27.2 GB remaining" under promotional data and "16GB of 16GB remaining" of plan data. So I appear to have a **** ton of data to burn through....
    Awesome!!
    Quote Originally Posted by wwglen View Post
    Has anyone tried to use the same phone for multiple accounts?

I know you could use the same Mobley IMEI number to activate multiple Mobley plans.

I know you can use the same Tablet IMEI number to activate multiple $35 unlimited tablet plan.

So I was wondering if the Walmart phone check is based on the IMEI number and would you be able to activate multiple accounts with different sim cards using the Walmart IMEI and still get the bonus data.

After getting the bonus data, then combine the accounts for the multi-line discount.

Thanks
    Um...you could, but why bother? You do all that work to risk AT&T figuring out you used the same IMEI / phone to get bonus data on all these lines and them taking it away or not even giving bonus data in the first place.

I value data more than the initial cost of the phones, so I legitimately bought a new phone for each line to make sure I am stick to the terms of the offer and have bonus data for the life of the lines.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I mentioned this on Slickdeals, but for what it's worth:

Just in case you want to port in later, but want to pick a temporary number with the same zip code. This site will let you lookup the zip code of any phone number:

https://www.melissa.com/v2/lookups/zipcityphone/index

When I picked the my number moons ago, I was told the town it originated, which consists of multiple zip codes. So, I actually had to look it up.
    nex·us [nek-suhs]
    noun, plural nex·us·es, nex·us.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Been reading and flowing. Bought phone online and recurrence and activated yesterday. Called 611 to port my number. They said give it 24 hours and restart the phone. I have done that. Called port department because port hasn't completed. They told me I needed a new sim card. Anyone else run into this? Afraid of losing promo if I switch sim cards.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    ...I figure if it doesn't work, I can at least be a data point for others and I'll probably port back.
    Famous last words - I got the bonus data this morning, called in to the port department and I think I lost the promo. I sort of assumed that Cricket->AT&T would be as easy as AT&T->Cricket in the past, but the person that was helping had to bring the number over and was going to need a new SIM card for that one (either one I had on-hand or one from a corporate store). Since I had one lying around, I went along with it and sure enough, once everything was back and I logged in, I lost the promotion.

I'm not upset (totally went in treating it like the gamble that it was), but it appears that there's nothing on the account that people in the porting department can see as the bonus data. While she assured me everything would carry over, it seems that everything she could see did (credited the account, but moved up the payment date, same data plan).

I suspect anyone moving from AT&T postpaid would run into a similar issue, so find a cheap way to port out and back if you really want this promotion. As for me, I'm going to sit on it for a few days and see if I want to go back to Cricket (my line was the $10/month on the 4/$100 plan) or see if the promo miraculously comes back (not holding my breath). When this new SIM was activated, it was in the phone from Walmart and a few test calls were made.

One interesting data point - my account number didn't change.
    Last edited by ecs0013; 07-17-2019 at 10:28 AM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8