Thread: Background data setting ?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Background data setting ?

I was looking through my phone settings (LG Rebel 4) and at the Mobile data usage for the apps. They all appear to have "Background data" turned on. I did some searching & most articles say to turn it off in order to save data, except for the Play Store which needs it on.

Should I turn it off for most of the apps or is it best to just leave it on for all of them?

FWIW I have the apps setting to Auto-update over WiFi only.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I've noticed visually no difference on my Fiesta, seems people can't let go of Android 1 from 2008.. the only item that seems to use any significant background data is Chrome, though I'm not sure how. Android has the most confusing battery savings setting, and some are baked into the actual operating system, and some are redundant.. In all honesty I wouldn't go turning play services off just because..

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by StymiedToo View Post
    Should I turn it off for most of the apps or is it best to just leave it on for all of them?
    Depends on what you want from your phone.

Want some apps to give you notifications?
    Like Play Store to tell you there are updates. Or that you have new email? may weather alerts?

Those apps need background data to do that.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I found that I will not receive Whatsapp messages on mobile data unless I have Google Play Services (not Google Play Store) set to receive background data.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry430 View Post
    I found that I will not receive Whatsapp messages on mobile data unless I have Google Play Services (not Google Play Store) set to receive background data.
    So you can receive Whatsapp messages with data OFF and background data on?

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by LCSJL View Post
    So you can receive Whatsapp messages with data OFF and background data on?
    No. Data has to be on. But Google Play Services need background data as well. Whatsapp probably needs background data too.

Many apps use the FCM (Firebase Cloud Messaging) part of GMS core (Google Mobile Services) for notifications. And foe that to work Play Services needs background data.

I believe a FCM message tells an app there's a new message then that app retrieves it and give you a notification.

The point is FCM pushes notifications and yu don't have dozens of apps constantly checking for new stuff (or implementing their own push service)

(FCM replaces GCM, Google Cloud Messaging, in Apr 2018 with the old GCM servers being shut down last month. But is was the same in thia regard)

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    What does turning on background data do exactly? My Whatsapp background data is off but I still receive messages when I have wifi

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    I've noticed visually no difference on my Fiesta, seems people can't let go of Android 1 from 2008.. the only item that seems to use any significant background data is Chrome
    Over time I think Android has done a better job of handling background data use, especially Oreo.
    Not sure why you would have excessive use with Chrome. I have background data off with it, and show a paltry 232 Bytes of use. Not KB or MB, but bytes!

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    What does turning on background data do exactly? My Whatsapp background data is off but I still receive messages when I have wifi
    Data meaning mobile data..wifi isn't included.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Depends on what you want from your phone.

Want some apps to give you notifications?
    Like Play Store to tell you there are updates. Or that you have new email? may weather alerts?

Those apps need background data to do that.
    Yep, smartphones are largely data devices if used to their full potential. Many users these days have WiFi available at home/work/shopping, so that can take off a big load of data expense. You have to be more conscious of battery drain though.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    Data meaning mobile data..wifi isn't included.

Ok, but what does background data do.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Ok, but what does background data do.
    You can allow an app to use data in the background or not.

In the background means when you are not actively using the app. When using an app it's in the foreground.

All apps can use wifi in the background (unless you listed the wifi connection as metered, ie. You pay for each byte used or the time you use).

Example of background data usage would be streaming songs with Pandora/Spotify while reading email or browsing websites.
    (email or browser would be foreground)

But lots of apps use background data to check for updated state, like a new message or new post. Or update the temperature to display on the screen, or altert you to a storm coming.
    Last edited by ST Dog; 06-10-2019 at 09:19 PM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    If an app gets tired of waiting for a connection and Wifi is off and the app *needs* a connection, it will use background data if you allow it.

Every one of my apps have BGD turned off. I prefer to make the effing apps wait !!! ...

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    You can allow an app to use data in the background or not.

In the background means when you are not actively using the app. When using an app it's in the foreground.

All apps can use wifi in the background (unless you listed the wifi connection as metered, ie. You pay for each byte used or the time you use).

Example of background data usage would be streaming songs with Pandora/Spotify while reading email or browsing websites.
    (email or browser would be foreground)

But lots pf apps use background data to check for updated state, like a new message or new post. Or update the temperature to display on the screen, or alter you to a storm coming.

Thanks for the explanation. So background data only comes into play when data is on.