Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 25 of 25

Thread: Going mobile data only for a couple months, what settings for GV/Hangouts m

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,352
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Were they Android, and if so, what version(s)? Thanks.
    My phones are Android - Moto G6 and a LG Phoenix 2. The GV app version is 2019.22.249571726.

    Did I miss that this topic is about GV on an iPhone?

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    12,689
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    My phones are Android - Moto G6 and a LG Phoenix 2. The GV app version is 2019.22.249571726.

    Did I miss that this topic is about GV on an iPhone?
    Thanks.

    No, I think sharp99 was planning to use an Android.

    I was just wondering because I thought I needed to have battery optimization off and unrestricted data usage enabled to get calls and texts reliably in Hangouts.

    Do you use the Data Saver option on your phones?

    I'll do some testing.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,352
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Thanks.

    No, I think sharp99 was planning to use an Android.

    I was just wondering because I thought I needed to have battery optimization off and unrestricted data usage enabled to get calls and texts reliably in Hangouts.

    Do you use the Data Saver option on your phones?

    I'll do some testing.
    Mine are set for battery optimization on and background data not restricted. Data saver is off. The GV app was just installed without making any changes to settings. I do have background data restricted for most other apps.

    I no longer have Hangouts on these phones. It was too confusing with both.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    SW Missouri
    Posts
    694
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    0
    Orlimar1, like Boz1 said, Hangouts is a separate app that uses its own Google Voice phone number you obtain & functions via WiFi or cellular

    data to text (sms) & make calls - never tried the video chat calling feature. I don’t have it forwarded to my TF Verizon carrier phone #, and I

    can’t remember if Hangouts can even do that. I prefer to use Hangouts in this fashion - as a totally independent entity. And, you may

    already know all of this. Cheers

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    12,689
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    So, sharp99, how's it going with your GV # using data only?

    Did you go with Hangouts or the GV app?

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    2,666
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    So, sharp99, how's it going with your GV # using data only?

    Did you go with Hangouts or the GV app?
    I ended up staying with cellular (I have a bunch of airtime I need to use). I guess I could still try it by not forwarding anything, but it just seems wasteful at this point, any sim I decide to use for 30-90 days already has unlimited calls/texts and setting up a new number with Google voice can be tedious, which you don't have to do if going data only.
    I've decided that whatever Sim I use has to be good for at least 60 days for me to set it up through Google voice forwarding, setting up call forwarding being the biggest pain as there's so many conflicting reports if call forwarding works with certain Sims (simple mobile, h20, net10, Mint mobile) I know the carrier level call forwarding has nothing to do with Google voice but I don't want voicemail to go to that sim.

    Sent from my LGL63BL using HoFo mobile app

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    2,666
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    So, sharp99, how's it going with your GV # using data only?

    Did you go with Hangouts or the GV app?
    Oh sorry, I've had both Google voice and hangouts apps forever.. the main reason being Google voice app won't ring if you have forwarding set up .. hangouts seems to work independently, meaning incoming calls to my GV number give me the option to answer on the phone dialer or hangouts I can't replicate that with the Google voice app, at work I'm in and out of the office which is a cellular dead zone, zero service on at&t and TMobile, but good WiFi coverage, so I know I'll at least get text messages.

    Sent from my LGL63BL using HoFo mobile app

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    12,689
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    I need to follow-up on my above statement, "I exclude Hangouts from battery optimization and allow background data".

    First, to clarify, by "allow background data", I REALLY meant that I have Data Saver turned on, and within Data Saver, I had "Unrestricted data access" toggled on for Hangouts. I apologize for my sloppy posting about that!

    Second, based on some of the comments above, I have now CHANGED the Battery Optimization setting for Hangouts from "Don't optimize" to "Optimize" AND I have toggled OFF "Unrestricted data access" within Data Saver. With those new settings, Hangouts still notifies me immediately of incoming texts, and it rings for every (legitimate) incoming call, just like before.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    2,666
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I need to follow-up on my above statement, "I exclude Hangouts from battery optimization and allow background data".

    First, to clarify, by "allow background data", I REALLY meant that I have Data Saver turned on, and within Data Saver, I had "Unrestricted data access" toggled on for Hangouts. I apologize for my sloppy posting about that!

    Second, based on some of the comments above, I have now CHANGED the Battery Optimization setting for Hangouts from "Don't optimize" to "Optimize" AND I have toggled OFF "Unrestricted data access" within Data Saver. With those new settings, Hangouts still notifies me immediately of incoming texts, and it rings for every (legitimate) incoming call, just like before.
    I don't know that optimizations matter if the phone hasn't been idled for at least an hour? Honestly seems redundant as in "ignore battery optimization" , is that basically turning doze off or is it something the phone's manufacturer added to that particular handset?
    I tried to set Google voice to incoming calls and it doesn't ring regardless of settings. Hangouts however does. One thing with the Hangouts app versus the Google voice all, the Hangouts app just has one general setting for incoming calls, on or off, the Google voice app does it by device, even without an underlying number and I can't tell which device it's referring to, it just says "web" or Android device under incoming call toggle.. and the Google voice app seems to to confuse incoming calls to a device without a carrier number to those with a carrier number... I actually prefer the user interface on Hangouts, perhaps it's because the GV app also handles forwarding where as the Hangouts app is strictly VoIP.

    Sent from my LGL63BL using HoFo mobile app

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    12,689
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    I don't know that optimizations matter if the phone hasn't been idled for at least an hour? Honestly seems redundant as in "ignore battery optimization" , is that basically turning doze off or is it something the phone's manufacturer added to that particular handset?
    I tried to set Google voice to incoming calls and it doesn't ring regardless of settings. Hangouts however does. One thing with the Hangouts app versus the Google voice all, the Hangouts app just has one general setting for incoming calls, on or off, the Google voice app does it by device, even without an underlying number and I can't tell which device it's referring to, it just says "web" or Android device under incoming call toggle.. and the Google voice app seems to to confuse incoming calls to a device without a carrier number to those with a carrier number... I actually prefer the user interface on Hangouts, perhaps it's because the GV app also handles forwarding where as the Hangouts app is strictly VoIP.
    Regarding "the Google voice app does it by device, even without an underlying number and I can't tell which device it's referring to", you can
    Open the GV app>Hamburger menu>Settings>Devices and numbers
    on each device and re-name the device shown at the top, labeled "This Device", which is of course the device you're using, to something that you'll recognize. Then each device in the GV app will show the unique name you gave it so you can tell which is which, no matter which device you're using at the moment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. T mobile data only for smartphones
    By tl01 in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-28-2016, 04:05 PM
  2. AT&T prepaid go phone data only
    By haveavarice in forum AT&T Prepaid (formerly GoPhone)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-24-2011, 06:44 PM
  3. T-Mobile Data Only - WIFI Calling?
    By TheShadowWRX in forum Maemo/Meego
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-11-2010, 02:29 PM
  4. Can I lock in to Data only and pay voice month to month ?
    By tjsbuyer in forum Rogers/Fido/Chat-r
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-18-2008, 06:05 PM
  5. Moving to FL for a couple months
    By shecky4185 in forum General Nextel Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-17-2005, 10:09 PM

Bookmarks