Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Going mobile data only for a couple months, what settings for GV/Hangouts m

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Going mobile data only for a couple months, what settings for GV/Hangouts m

I am planning on using mobile data and wifi in conjunction with my Google voice number for sms/phone calls. I've had both apps downloaded for a year or so, I've been strictly using my GV number mainly through the GV app, and my actual cell number forwarding both texts and calls.
    I never worried much about about data saving/battery saving settings because I actually didn't need any data to make a receive calls and texts thorough GV. What battery/data settings do I need to adjust to reliably get texts/calls through the Hangouts or Google voice app and which app do you recommend?.. This has always been a bit confusing to me my GV number has grown pretty important to me as all my coworkers and boss use it for calls and texts multiple times a day.Thanks for any suggestions!

Sent from my LGL63BL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    I am planning on using mobile data and wifi in conjunction with my Google voice number for sms/phone calls. I've had both apps downloaded for a year or so, I've been strictly using my GV number mainly through the GV app, and my actual cell number forwarding both texts and calls.
    I never worried much about about data saving/battery saving settings because I actually didn't need any data to make a receive calls and texts thorough GV. What battery/data settings do I need to adjust to reliably get texts/calls through the Hangouts or Google voice app and which app do you recommend?.. This has always been a bit confusing to me .Thanks for any suggestions!
    Wow! After all the criticism of me and other using a GV # over data only, now you're one of us!? Interesting!

I recommend Hangouts because the GV app is lacking or not fully developed in certain ways.

I don't know if it's required on every phone, but I exclude Hangouts from battery optimization and allow background data.

Hangouts always rings for me UNLESS the call is spam, and that's a GOOD thing.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'll repeat below what I've written before about Hangouts vs the GV app.

Below are the things about the GV app that keep me using Hangouts, which still works perfectly for me.

1) In the Android GV app, when searching contacts, ALL numbers with a custom name are listed with "Other" next to the number, which doesn't work well for my usage. With the Hangouts app, when searching contacts, ALL numbers with a custom name are listed with THAT CUSTOM NAME next to the number, which is how it SHOULD be in the GV app, too.

2) On any of the three phones and 1 tablet I've tested the GV app with, when I click on a phone number on a web page, or from within any other app, including the SimpleNote app, I am presented with multiple apps on my phone that can place a phone call, including Phone, Hangouts, and TextNow. The option to place the call with the GV app is MISSING! There is NO WAY to initiate a call as described above using the Android GV app! This is a very serious issue for me.

3) The earpiece volume is lower using the GV app on some devices compared to Hangouts, enough to be an annoyance on devices that don't have the best earpiece volume. This is a minor issue, and I have found that everyone doesn't have this issue, so it's probably device dependent.

4) When any of my devices are set to silent, when a call comes into the GV # that I have set up in the GV app, the screen remains dark, and there's no indication of a call coming in. If a call comes into either of my GV #s that are set up in Hangouts on a device set to silent, the screen immediately lights up, and Hangouts can be answered. As an extra data point, even TextNow works correctly, the same as Hangouts, when a call comes in to a device that is set to silent.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Wow! After all the criticism of me and other using data only, now you're one of us!? Interesting!

I recommend Hangouts because the GV app is lacking or not fully developed in certain ways.

I don't know if it's required on every phone, but I exclude Hangouts from battery optimization and allow background data.

Hangouts always rings for me UNLESS the call is spam, and that's a GOOD thing.
    I still have a business phone with cell service for backup. More of an experiment . I want to see first hand if Google has improved optimizations. A personal note with Hangouts dialer, mine has always been included in battery optimizations but from what I remember it always rings simultaneously with my actual phone dialer, basically giving me the choice of I want to answer the call via cell or data.

Sent from my LGL63BL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Boom <Tracfone Verizon BYOP < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I use Hangouts on an iphone - I allow Hangouts to access contacts, microphone, cellular data, allow calls on Wi Fi & Cellular, answer on

lock screen - those are the main settings. Don't readily see a setting for batter management specifically for Hangouts on Iphone. My use is

mainly for Craigslist items, anonymity desired, etc... Calls seem to be crystal

clear on a good LTE signal, or Wi Fi. But you probably already know this stuff.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Not to crash a thread, but are there any guides on how to do this on an XS Max? By doing something like this do you put the iPhone in any way?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    Not to crash a thread, but are there any guides on how to do this on an XS Max? By doing something like this do you put the iPhone in any way?
    You won't have iMessage. IMHO a big loss.

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app
    Yikes. Thanks for the information as I wasn’t aware of that.

If I do proceed I’ll probably just use my old Moto Z Play for a few months then.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I don't understand the question and I don't understand the answer.

All you do is get a GV # and install Hangouts on an iPhone. But what does "By doing something like this do you put the iPhone in any way?" mean?

And sharp99, are you saying iMessage won't work anymore if you install Hangouts on an iPhone? I never heard anything like that before.

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Likewise. I have no clue what they're saying. But apparently they do.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by taoman View Post
    Likewise. I have no clue what they're saying. But apparently they do.
    Maybe...maybe not!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

All you do is get a GV # and install Hangouts on an iPhone. But what does "By doing something like this do you put the iPhone in any way?" mean?

And sharp99, are you saying iMessage won't work anymore if you install Hangouts on an iPhone? I never heard anything like that before.
    What I was referring to was unlockit.co.nz. I thought I had read that it was needed to be able to use an AT&t data only sim in a Verizon XS Max phone. Since I've just started considering this and don't know much about it, I thought it might make my iPhone vulnerable to getting hacked. Maybe I don't even need to use that. Again - I've just started considering this and really know nothing about it.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    What I was referring to was unlockit.co.nz. I thought I had read that it was needed to be able to use an AT&t data only sim in a Verizon XS Max phone. Since I've just started considering this and don't know much about it, I thought it might make my iPhone vulnerable to getting hacked. Maybe I don't even need to use that. Again - I've just started considering this and really know nothing about it.
    But you didn't say ANY of that in your post!

As long as data works, Hangouts and iMessage, as understand it, will work. If you have no carrier phone #, the MMS not working on iPhones on SOME AT&T MVNOs is irrelevant, because there IS no carrier # to use for MMS.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I never worried much about about data saving/battery saving settings because I actually didn't need any data to make a receive calls and texts thorough GV. What battery/data settings do I need to adjust to reliably get texts/calls through the Hangouts or Google voice app and which app do you recommend?.. This has always been a bit confusing to me my GV number has grown pretty important to me as all my coworkers and boss use it for calls and texts multiple times a day.Thanks for any suggestions!
    I have had the GV app on two phones since they enabled it for Wifi calling. I did not make any data or battery adjustments for it. It works fine and I have not noticed any additional battery use.

Hangouts works too, but I really dislike the app user interface.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I have had the GV app on two phones since they enabled it for Wifi calling. I did not make any data or battery adjustments for it. It works fine and I have not noticed any additional battery use.

Hangouts works too, but I really dislike the app user interface.
    Were they Android, and if so, what version(s)? Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast