Thread: Updated configuration file?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Updated configuration file?

Out of nowhere I got a text, seemingly from H2O, to install a configuration file (or APN) for "Internet Browsing GPRS," as H2O says. I say it's from H2O because it came from the same number from when I set my phone up originally.

I checked the signing certificates on the APN I have installed currently. One of them expires this October. I'm wondering if maybe the new file is due to that.

Even though this looks legit, I'm leery of installing the new profile without any knowledge about why this happened.

Maybe I got a text meant for a different customer? Has anyone else gotten this? I have an iPhone, if that matters.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I noticed that data worked on a new iPhone without installing a profile.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Looks like a new Apn that will also provide mms and FaceTime on iPhones

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I manually went to the H2O website, logged in, and triggered a configuration setup.

On the surface, nothing appears to be any different.

I haven't had anyone try to send an MMS message, but I'd be surprised if it has been enabled.

The wording of the instructions given on the site's configuration page reads as outdated, and even if valid, would require a new SIM as well.

My current SIM is from 2015, the last time they revised them AFAIK, and doesn't provide any user access to the APN settings in iOS, making those instructions impossible to follow.

If the current profile being distributed is updated to include MMS, then someone else will have to verify it, as I've long warned all my contacts that I can't receive them.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I went ahead and downloaded it once I figured out you can look at it before installing.

I'm with you, TheIntruder. Highly skeptical that this has changed anything. Everything looks the same, except the LTE APN now says "Attach APN: reseller" and "APN: reseller" instead of "Name: Prodata" and "Username: [blank]". The certificate expiration dates haven't changed either.

I'm not installing the new one without a reason. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Carrier(s)
    h2o Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Hey there, Team H2O here.

H2O now offers Picture Messages and Face-time, we have been rolling out messages broadcast to inform our iPhone users about this new update. However, your account needs to meet certain criteria. For example, a compatible iPhone and a compatible Sim Card.

We hope this information can clarify any doubts you may have.

Regards,

Rose R.
    Team H2O
    1 (800) 643-4926

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by h2owireless View Post
    H2O now offers Picture Messages and Face-time, we have been rolling out messages broadcast to inform our iPhone users about this new update. However, your account needs to meet certain criteria. For example, a compatible iPhone and a compatible Sim Card.
    I stand corrected and am delighted to be wrong.

It would be nice to have more information about what constitutes "a compatible iPhone and a compatible Sim Card." I think most iPhone users have been wanting MMS and FaceTime and would like to know how to get it. I know I would.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by lIqCs3xa View Post
    I stand corrected and am delighted to be wrong.

It would be nice to have more information about what constitutes "a compatible iPhone and a compatible Sim Card." I think most iPhone users have been wanting MMS and FaceTime and would like to know how to get it. I know I would.
    Likewise.

It would be nice, wouldn't it? But evidently, H2O can't be bothered to provide further clarification, and it has not made any news anywhere.

Once I return from vacation, I think I'll stop dragging my feet and reassess my service choice. 3GB is nice at the price point, but TBH, I rarely use that much, and I think I'm ready to sacrifice some of that for a more fully-formed service.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIntruder View Post
    ....It would be nice, wouldn't it? But evidently, H2O can't be bothered to provide further clarification....
    Got a giant smile reading this.

I like snarky with intelligence.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIntruder View Post
    Likewise.

It would be nice, wouldn't it? But evidently, H2O can't be bothered to provide further clarification, and it has not made any news anywhere.

Once I return from vacation, I think I'll stop dragging my feet and reassess my service choice. 3GB is nice at the price point, but TBH, I rarely use that much, and I think I'm ready to sacrifice some of that for a more fully-formed service.
    I feel the same way, which is why I did not respond to the H2O representative who sent me a private message asking me to provide my account information so they could tell me whether I qualified. What's the big secret? Why not tell everyone here? Or, better yet, put the information on your web site so all of your customers will know, not just HoFo members.

They did the same private message thing in another recent thread in response to a question:

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...H2O-SIM-active

I have already moved one of our two h2O phones to Red Pocket and have no regrets. I will move the remaining one when it expires. I am tired of H2O's lack of transparency. I suggest you consider Red Pocket when you reassess. You'll find they are upfront with information.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by lIqCs3xa View Post
    I have already moved one of our two h2O phones to Red Pocket and have no regrets. I will move the remaining one when it expires. I am tired of H2O's lack of transparency. I suggest you consider Red Pocket when you reassess. You'll find they are upfront with information.
    I can't recall why, but I actually registered a RP account way back when, before I went with H2O. It looks like there can be some pretty good deals with the longer term plans they sell.

Meanwhile, nothing but crickets from H2O, which has in the interim responded to other inquiries, but won't deign to reply to this one any further.

Hey, isn't Cricket also the name of a prepaid cell service provider? Hmmm…

Carrier(s)
    h2o Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

We truly apologize for the discomfort caused by this situation. Your feedback is greatly received and appreciated.

H2O Wireless have been rolling out messages broadcast to inform our iPhone users about this new update. IPhone MMS, Group Messaging & Facetime” is available for New Activations since April 30th, 2019.

Please note that your phone needs to meet certain criteria. For example, a compatible iPhone and a compatible Sim Card.

Moreover, the following models will be able to use those features.

iPhone 5 GSM:
    iPhone 5 -A1533,
    iPhone 5C- A1428,
    iPhone 5S -A1532
    iPhone 6 all the way up to iPhone 10(X).

We kindly request you to please send us any kind of information through a private message to avoid the disclosure of personal information.

We hope this information can clarify any doubts you may have.

Regards,

Rose R.
    Team H2O
    1 (800) 643-4926

Carrier(s)
    h2o Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

We are sorry to read you have this perception about H2O Wireless. Allow me to inform you that for security purposes and for your own protection, we ask our customer to please send us their information through a private message.

We are truly sorry for the inconvenience caused by this situation. I sincerely hope this can clarify any doubts you may have. Should you require further assistance, do not hesitate to contact us through a private message.

Regards,

Rose R.
    Team H2O
    1 (800) 643-4926