Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are there any comparable plans on Verizon other than Red Pocket?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Are there any comparable plans on Verizon other than Red Pocket?

I'm currently on the 2gb plan for Verizon on Red Pocket

I do know once my phone dies, I'll be getting an unlocked phone so that I can use the much lower priced GSM plans Red Pocket has to offer. Verizon plans on Red Pocket do not have deals unless you buy off Ebay using a Ebay coupon or get a certain percent back in Ebay Bucks.

My plan is supposed to be throttled but with my Verizon Note 5, it isn't for some reason. My phone's data just dies. It's happened a couple of times. It may be just my neck of the woods.

Are there any comparable CDMA plans out there for less than 20.00 a month that might be better than what Red Pocket has to offer? Maybe offers 3gb?

I just wanted to ask before I buy another RP 2gb plan using the 13% back in Ebay bucks.

I'd probably get the RP 3gb plan if it were sold on Ebay but dont' want to buy off Amazon with no type discount.

Thanks.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post

I do know once my phone dies, I'll be getting an unlocked phone so that I can use the much lower priced GSM plans Red Pocket has to offer. Verizon plans on Red Pocket do not have deals unless you buy off Ebay using a Ebay coupon or get a certain percent back in Ebay Bucks.

My plan is supposed to be throttled but with my Verizon Note 5, it isn't for some reason. My phone's data just dies. It's happened a couple of times. It may be just my neck of the woods.

Are there any comparable CDMA plans out there for less than 20.00 a month that might be better than what Red Pocket has to offer? Maybe offers 3gb?

I just wanted to ask before I buy another RP 2gb plan using the 13% back in Ebay bucks.

I'd probably get the RP 3gb plan if it were sold on Ebay but dont' want to buy off Amazon with no type discount.

Thanks.
    Net10 UT&T&D, 5GB/mo LTE
    1 Year = $239.99 ($20/mo); Choice Of AT&T, T-Mobile, Vzw

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Net10-Prepa...h/283471231068

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post

I do know once my phone dies, I'll be getting an unlocked phone so that I can use the much lower priced GSM plans Red Pocket has to offer....
    Your Verizon phone is (should be) unlocked for "GSM*" carriers. You should be able to switch to RP-A or RP-T any time you want. You would need to check if the phone has the LTE bands for AT&T or T-Mo. Verizon phones being unlocked for "GSM" is due to a deal they made with the FCC ~2013 for use of some spectrum.

*GSM is the legacy term for what AT&T and T-Mobile were based on in the past for voice, text and 2G data. AT&T does not use it anymore. They use UMTS for voice and text. T-Mo has switched mostly to UMTS with a bit of remaining 2G GSM which is due to be phased out in a couple of years.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Your Verizon phone is (should be) unlocked for "GSM*" carriers. You should be able to switch to RP-A or RP-T any time you want. You would need to check if the phone has the LTE bands for AT&T or T-Mo. Verizon phones being unlocked for "GSM" is due to a deal they made with the FCC ~2013 for use of some spectrum.

*GSM is the legacy term for what AT&T and T-Mobile were based on in the past for voice, text and 2G data. AT&T does not use it anymore. They use UMTS for voice and text. T-Mo has switched mostly to UMTS with a bit of remaining 2G GSM which is due to be phased out in a couple of years.
    Does that Verizon Note 5 have LTE bands 12/17, which are more important now than they have been in the past, or any of the newer LTE bands?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Does that Verizon Note 5 have LTE bands 12/17, which are more important now than they have been in the past, or any of the newer LTE bands?
    https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/ph...m-n920vzkavzw/ says:

4G LTE FDD : B2(1900), B3(1800), B4(AWS), B5(850), B7(2600), B13(700)

So yeah, the Note5 does not look like a good prospect for use on AT&T or T-Mo. I did not know that the Note5 was that old.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Soon CDMA will become "legacy term" too. LTE is all that matters, and the VoLTE support (for voice).

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Lycamobile, Sprint, Tello, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

So yeah, the Note5 does not look like a good prospect for use on AT&T or T-Mo. I did not know that the Note5 was that old.
    Yes, right on here, I tried to use a VZ Note 5 on TMO a while back and I was just miserable. I had to declare the experiment a failure after a couple of weeks and changed phones. It says bands 2 and 4 and that's what I have everywhere, I don't really need 12 on a daily basis. Not sure why it was awful, but it was. Kept dropping my data connection and calls.

Same phone was quite happy on Red Pocket cdma!

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Quote Originally Posted by Vertabrae View Post
    Yes, right on here, I tried to use a VZ Note 5 on TMO a while back and I was just miserable. I had to declare the experiment a failure after a couple of weeks and changed phones. It says bands 2 and 4 and that's what I have everywhere, I don't really need 12 on a daily basis. Not sure why it was awful, but it was. Kept dropping my data connection and calls.

Yes, that's what I was referring to, and is probably why diddlydudette said what she said about that. The Note 5 WILL work on AT&T and T-Mobile, but probably not very well, which is why she wants to stick with Vzw until she gets a new universal unlocked phone.

As an aside, if diddlydudette actually does purchase the plan I linked above, if she orders the "I Am Not Sure" option, it will come with a Vzw, AT&T, & T-Mobile SIM card kit, so she can initially use the Vzw SIM, and then if/when she gets a new phone, contact Net10 to switch to the AT&T network using the AT&T SIM card that came in the SIM card kit.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Net10 UT&T&D, 5GB/mo LTE

Wow, Verizon 5GB service for $20/mo? What's the catch, other than being tied down for a year? This makes me want to switch from Verizon Prepaid!

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by grayson73 View Post
    Wow, Verizon 5GB service for $20/mo? What's the catch, other than being tied down for a year? This makes me want to switch from Verizon Prepaid!
    There is no catch as far as I can see.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Net10 UT&T&D, 5GB/mo LTE

Wow, awesome! I wonder why this isn't more popular. This is a great deal especially with the added 13% Ebay Bucks deal from Ebay. If you consider Ebaybucks same as cash, that would make this deal about 17.40 a month for 5gb. That beats any Red Pocket deal for sure. I'm glad I asked and as always Boz comes through.

I'll do a little more research on this before ordering. I would never have to worry about my RP 2gb giving out and my data goes dead. 5G is more than enough for me. Hopefully if Net10 doesn't work, they refund and hopefully the phone would get good service in my area. I would assume same as Red Pocket CDMA?

I may even suggest this to my sister who is currently on Total Wireless.

Thanks Boz and everyone for your suggestions.

ETA: Did a chat with Net10 and phone is compatible and according to the plan on Ebay, there is a 30 day return policy so can't think of a reason not to try it. Will read the Net10 forum and see if there is anything I should be aware of first before ordering.
    Last edited by diddlydudette; 06-12-2019 at 11:46 AM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertabrae View Post

Very helpful. Thanks.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    diddlydudette, Net10 (and TracFone) are relatively new to offering annual plans on eBay. Nobody knows how long they will be offered, or if this will eventually become a new "permanent" offering.

We do know the eBay listing(s) state "Limited Time Offer".

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    diddlydudette, Net10 (and TracFone) are relatively new to offering annual plans on eBay. Nobody knows how long they will be offered, or if this will eventually become a new "permanent" offering.

We do know the eBay listing(s) state "Limited Time Offer".
    Thanks. I just added to cart and was going to purchase. I guess I'll stick to Red Pocket. I didn't realize I'd be charged tax with Net 10. Ouch! Red Pocket didn't charge any so I'd do better just sticking with RP. Darn.

I knew SC would be charged tax staring in October but looks like Tracfone is charging tax now since probably in my state.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast