Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 188

Thread: New York Attorney General and nine other states file lawsuit to block Merger

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,102
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Limeybastard View Post
    You just answered your question in the first few lines of your first paragraph.

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    The point is people like you think that Sprint will magically press some button and actually invest and be competitive. That is not going to happens. The sky isn't cotton candy clouds and gumdrop rain no matter how much you wish it to be. I almost wish the merger is denied so I can come back to these forums everywhere in a few months and do my "I told you so" tour.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    541
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    The point is people like you think that Sprint will magically press some button and actually invest and be competitive. That is not going to happens. The sky isn't cotton candy clouds and gumdrop rain no matter how much you wish it to be. I almost wish the merger is denied so I can come back to these forums everywhere in a few months and do my "I told you so" tour.
    I good quite easily say the same thing about you and your point

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    18,118
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Can we cut out the personal attacks? Please keep this thread on track and stick to the subject. We are all entitled to our opinions, whether or not we all agree is irrelevant.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,263
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    If the FCC/DOJ refuses the merger then Sprint should start firing their employees and announce they are going out of business in a few months without a buyer that must take on Sprint's $40 Billion debt. T-Mobile can then come in with a bid of $26 Billion and see if anyone wants to beat that price. Any state that sues them just don't use Sprint's spectrum in those states that would cause that state to losing standing in a lawsuit if Sprint is out of business.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,102
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Limeybastard View Post
    I good quite easily say the same thing about you and your point

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    My point is based on facts. Go look at quarterly reports even from just the time Softbank has owned Sprint and tell me which outcome is more likely mine or yours?

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,102
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    If the FCC/DOJ refuses the merger then Sprint should start firing their employees and announce they are going out of business in a few months without a buyer that must take on Sprint's $40 Billion debt. T-Mobile can then come in with a bid of $26 Billion and see if anyone wants to beat that price. Any state that sues them just don't use Sprint's spectrum in those states that would cause that state to losing standing in a lawsuit if Sprint is out of business.
    That's not how it would work. Sprint's spectrum would go back to the FCC to be reauctioned. Though they could always sell it beforehand. Not sure if the FCC would approve that.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    541
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    My point is based on facts. Go look at quarterly reports even from just the time Softbank has owned Sprint and tell me which outcome is more likely mine or yours?
    Do you think Softbank bill pull the plug on Sprint if the merger fails? It's a simple yes / no question.
    Softbank wants the merger to take place, hence why they cook the books to show that If it doesn't take place , then Sprint will become insolvent. Hopefully my point will be proven after merger falls through.


    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    11,159
    Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Can we cut out the personal attacks? Please keep this thread on track and stick to the subject. We are all entitled to our opinions, whether or not we all agree is irrelevant.
    I’m going to reiterate this for those that may skip over it for any reason. Discuss, disagree, but do so politely and without personal attacks and commentary.

    Become a Premium Member or Advertiser here!
    Want to use a referral link in your signature, support the forums by becoming a Premium Member!
    Have you read the forum rules lately?
    If you have a problem with a post for any reason, please report it rather than responding to it, and a moderator will be along shortly.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    291
    Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    You contradict yourself in the same post. One one hand you say that T-Mobile will charge higher prices (you have no evidence of that.) And then you say that if T-Mobile and Sprint raised their prepaid prices, that AT&T and Verizon would advertise to try to steal away those customers. You can't have it both ways.
    In fact, I did NOT contradict myself. Those are two different scenario, the one you pulled out of your derriere about Sprint and T-Mobile price fixing their prepaid service, and the other about the merged Sprint/T-Mobile and all of their services. MVNO prices don't have much of anywhere to go. They will continue to offer more data, but they're about as low as they can go.

    The threat of higher prices is just what the fearmongers are using to try to prevent the merger from happening so that AT&T and Verizon can keep their top position.
    It's inevitable. Even if Sprint customers just get absorbed into T-Mobile's price structure, that's a huge price increase right there.

    And you would know that enough to make such a sweeping generality? Sprint's data rates are constantly the lowest of all carriers. Let me know which urban areas that Sprint wins in a RootMetrics study. Oh, but that's okay, because you're fine with low income customers getting subpar service. That's all they deserve, is that it?
    The discussion wasn't about data speeds, it was about coverage and service. And yes, Sprint offers decent service in many of those metro areas. The simple fact is this. Low income customers today have a choice. They can spend less on Sprint, or they can spend a bit more on T-Mobile, or more yet again on T and Vz. If Sprint and T-Mobile merge, their choice to spend less for service that's not quite as fast or reliable, but is cheap and has a ton of hotspot data that many people are probably using instead of home internet, will be gone, and they will have no choice but to pay MORE for one of the three remaining carriers.

    Well maybe they do travel. Maybe they take a bus to visit their children. But it's okay, because they also deserve worse coverage when they travel too because they're low income. Can't let them get any better service.
    They're mostly traveling urban to urban. If something else suits them better and they want to pay more for it, they are free to go ahead and do that. If T-Mobile and Sprint merge, they will have no choice but to pay more, whether they want the better service or not.

    How does a consumer, "support roaming agreements?" As far as I know, roaming agreements are made by the carriers. They don't ask the consumer for input.
    It really needs government intervention/regulation.

    You're the one saying that T-Mobile would raise all of their prices. There's no proof of that. It's far more likely they would keep prices the same for many current customers and those customers would get better coverage that the combined company would provide. Legere would have more resources to steal away more market share from AT&T and Verizon and to do that, he will still need to charge less. They wouldn't switch if he charged the same.
    Of course they will charge more if there is less competition. Sprint holds prices down in the whole market because they have to offer service at a deep discount due to their relatively poor network and coverage.

    The "wild success" still has T-Mobile at a very distant third in both number of customers and revenue. That's the fact. AT&T and Verizon knows that if the merger doesn't go through, T-Mobile will never be a real threat to them. Their only fear is if he gets on a more equal ground.
    And yet, their net postpaid adds have been way ahead of Vz and T for a number of years. T-Mobile is growing, and others aren't growing anywhere close to as fast. Wireless networks are high fixed cost, so losing a few million subs to TMUS is a BIG deal. TMUS is a threat to Vz and T, even if TMUS has half the number of customers of either of them. John Legere and TMUS have found a recipe for success, and without the merger, they can just stick to their recipe and they'll do really well.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,263
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    That's not how it would work. Sprint's spectrum would go back to the FCC to be reauctioned. Though they could always sell it beforehand. Not sure if the FCC would approve that.
    Sprint's spectrum if they default on their $40 Billion bank loans will go to the banks where the Banks and Investment Groups loaned Sprint the money and used Sprint's spectrum as Collateral on the loan. The banks would then sell that spectrum to get some of their loan money back. If the FCC wanted the spectrum back they would have to pay off the loans holders for that spectrum in a default. If it goes that way then Sprint's spectrum would take many years to get sold again.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,102
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_j001 View Post
    I’m going to reiterate this for those that may skip over it for any reason. Discuss, disagree, but do so politely and without personal attacks and commentary.
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Can we cut out the personal attacks? Please keep this thread on track and stick to the subject. We are all entitled to our opinions, whether or not we all agree is irrelevant.
    While I agree there shouldn't be any personal attacks, I have gone back and read the posts between veriztd's last post and this one and I do not see anyone personally attacking anyone here. Nor do I see anyone complaining about being personally attacked. So you're seeing something is not there, but ok we'll continue to not personally attack each other like we have been doing this whole time.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,102
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Limeybastard View Post
    Do you think Softbank bill pull the plug on Sprint if the merger fails? It's a simple yes / no question..
    yes I believe they will.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    291
    Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    Sadly, Sprint is likely unable to survive and compete independently. They've just made too many bad choices along the way, from sticking to CDMA for too long with very late VoLTE adoption that will make it very challenging to convert to full LTE, owning a majority of Clearwire, poor network foresight (not properly built out in rural areas, and the 2500 Mhz Clearwire spectrum), and just dumb marketing such as combining an 18-month lease with a 12-month price guarantee on the plan (I've overheard customers decide not to purchase and walk out once they heard the advertised phone+plan rate didn't apply to the full 18-month term).
    They've clearly made some bad decisions, i.e. the botched Nextel merger, WiMAX, slow VoLTE rollout, etc. CDMA is going to be a real challenge for them moving forward. I don't know how long phones are going to have CDMA in them, and Sprint needs CDMA for coverage, because they have do little low-band spectrum, and because their tower density isn't high enough to run VoLTE in a lot of areas. They're also getting knocked off of Verizon's CDMA roaming in the next few years as Verizon will eventually shut it down, even if they miss the EOY19 date, which they likely will.

    That being said, they need to seize the opportunity with 5G and their 2500mhz spectrum, which has been their most valuable asset since they got it. They just have more mid-band capacity than anyone else, and outside of areas that get highly densified mmWave small cell deployments on Vz and T, Sprint should be able to crank out the best speeds over an entire metro area with their 5G and Massive MIMO.

    They've really devalued their business with all of these bipolar promotions, free years, etc., which may have made Boost a more valuable brand name than Sprint itself is. As the phrase goes, I guess you just "can't fix stupid"...
    I'm not sure the free year was stupid at all. We don't have the data, but it may have been a really cheap way to acquire new customers, compared to financing phones and all of that.

    ... and YES, DISH SHOULD FORFEIT THEIR SPECTRUM for squatting on it.
    Yes! Sprint needs the 600mhz, and Vz needs the mid-band. On paper, TMUS has plenty of spectrum relative to number of customers, but their customers are more concentrated in urban areas, so they likely could use some mid-band as well.

    If Sprint it survives it will be more or less a regional carrier like US Cellular but larger. They'll focus on the top 30 markets and outside of that they'll bail and sell licenses to whomever pays them the most even if it's At&t or Verizon.
    That's basically the opposite of a regional carrier, but OK. There are 149M POPs in the top 30 markets out of 327M total POPs, and Sprint has a good network in the midwest in a lot of smaller cities as well.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,634
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Sprint's spectrum if they default on their $40 Billion bank loans will go to the banks where the Banks and Investment Groups loaned Sprint the money and used Sprint's spectrum as Collateral on the loan. The banks would then sell that spectrum to get some of their loan money back. If the FCC wanted the spectrum back they would have to pay off the loans holders for that spectrum in a default. If it goes that way then Sprint's spectrum would take many years to get sold again.
    Also, isn't the 2.5/2.6 GHz leased by the education sector? So, even if no bank/debtor wanted or did take it, it wouldn't go back to the FCC to auction it.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,102
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    They're also getting knocked off of Verizon's CDMA roaming in the next few years as Verizon will eventually shut it down, even if they miss the EOY19 date, which they likely will.
    No Verizon will not miss the date. People holding on to their CDMA only phones will learn the hard way in 200 days


    Yes! Sprint needs the 600mhz,
    And they had an opportunity to bid in that auction. An auction in which they and t-mobile begged the FCC for favorable rules for them which the FCC granted and then they didn't participate. which is especially egregious since Verizon sat it out too. they also didn't participate in the AWS-3 auction. Which just proves they do not care all that much about investing in their network. Softbank has the cash to properly fund a proper network buildout and doesn't give Sprint the funds.

    That's basically the opposite of a regional carrier, but OK. There are 149M POPs in the top 30 markets out of 327M total POPs, and Sprint has a good network in the midwest in a lot of smaller cities as well.
    That's less than 50% and far less than 50% of the land mass. So I would call that regional. A carrier could only cover the top 10 metro areas and be covering 25% of the US population. Is that national carrier?

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-24-2013, 06:55 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-07-2006, 07:12 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-05-2004, 01:10 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-06-2004, 11:35 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks