Device(s)
    iphone X
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Verizon prepaid vs post paid

The plans are so amazing with the prepaid. My Mom has the prepaid but rarely uses the data but to talk to her is just the same. S

So what is the catch? Why such different prices. Almost seems crazy to stay with Verizon post paid for the price.

I am coming here to see what experiences you have had.

For 5 gigs with Verizon post paid it is $60 and if you sign up for auto pay you get a $5 discount.

But

Verizon prepaid is 6 gigs for $35 with the same deal for auto pay you get the $5 discount.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    And there is Travelpass for international travel, though it is more restrictive than Travelpass for Postpaid. If I had known about it last year, I would have moved from ATT Prepaid to Verizon Prepaid late last summer.

Postpaid gives you first chance at some new flagship phones that may not be available "SIM FREE" at launch.

You get some other features like a Verizon native robocalling blocking capability.

Ability to finance a phone over 2 years (if you like owing money).

And for some people, they may qualify for discounts due to employer.

And prices are cheaper per line in "family" plans than single plans.

I last did Verizon postpaid to get the iPhone 7+ at launch, and I had a trip planned to Australia. But I am on prepaid now since I don't want to buy a new flagship phone for awhile.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Does prepaid get voice deprioritization over postpaid? I mean on CDMA not VoLTE.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterN View Post
    The plans are so amazing with the prepaid. My Mom has the prepaid but rarely uses the data but to talk to her is just the same. S

So what is the catch? Why such different prices. Almost seems crazy to stay with Verizon post paid for the price.

I am coming here to see what experiences you have had.

For 5 gigs with Verizon post paid it is $60 and if you sign up for auto pay you get a $5 discount.

But

Verizon prepaid is 6 gigs for $35 with the same deal for auto pay you get the $5 discount.
    That 6 GB plan is promo normally it's 3 GB. Data is deprioritized. 5GB postpaid data is not. Prepaid unlimited does no include hotpot

Quote Originally Posted by seiyafan View Post
    Does prepaid get voice deprioritization over postpaid? I mean on CDMA not VoLTE.
    voice does not get deprioritized on any plan only data does.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    voice does not get deprioritized on any plan only data does.
    Suppose if I cannot dial out in a crowded place like a stadium, moving from prepaid to postpaid would not help either, right?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by seiyafan View Post
    Suppose if I cannot dial out in a crowded place like a stadium, moving from prepaid to postpaid would not help either, right?
    Calls get prioritized over anything else. So even if there was higher priority on postpaid calls, prepaid calls would be prioritized over postpaid data. And calls only use 14 kbps if that.

Device(s)
    iphone X
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    My son went to Best Buy last night and bought an iphone X and received a $250 discount off the price. He then signed up for the 8 gig Verizon Wireless plan but received an upgrade to 16 gigs for the same price. This promotional price he was told will last until he chooses to change his plan or cancel it.

I am so torn as to whether or not I should stay with post paid now.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Postpaid says 185 countries, prepaid says 80.

I thought there would be a big loss of roaming, and there is some loss, but it also shows some areas that have roaming on Prepaid that don't on postpaid, so I think their map is wonky.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Don’t forget about the data deprioritization. It’s a killer in some areas.

Not that service is much better on postpaid when the network is THAT congested, but it’s the difference between having a slow connection to use or no data connection at all.

Many suburban areas are dead in the water on prepaid.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I didn't have any problem with Verizon Prepaid a couple years ago except at my desk at work, so I had switched away to ATT Postpaid (then prepaid). I'm back for the bonus data, and so far it has been working fine. Including at work. No speed demon, slower than ATT in town, but usable.

I'll see how it does on the road over the next couple months (I'm paid through about August 8th).

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    , so I think their map is wonky.
    Don't trust the maps of any carrier unless you may live in an urban or heavily populated area. The Federal Gov is still sitting on millions of $'s to be used to provide or expand coverage in un-served or under served areas. It's held up because the maps of the carriers are not accurate enough to tell them where the $ should go.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Don't trust the maps of any carrier unless you may live in an urban or heavily populated area. The Federal Gov is still sitting on millions of $'s to be used to provide or expand coverage in un-served or under served areas. It's held up because the maps of the carriers are not accurate enough to tell them where the $ should go.
    They're wrong even in urban areas. There are dead spots not shown on the maps. The issue in this case with Verizon is that the roaming looks really suspect. Google's Project Fi is the most laughably ridiculous coverage map of them all, but it understates coverage, not overstates it. I can't make it match up with any point in time for T-Mobile and Sprint, it just seems to be a creation of Google's imagination, and is missing a TON of coverage from both carriers.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    They're wrong even in urban areas. There are dead spots not shown on the maps. The issue in this case with Verizon is that the roaming looks really suspect. Google's Project Fi is the most laughably ridiculous coverage map of them all, but it understates coverage, not overstates it. I can't make it match up with any point in time for T-Mobile and Sprint, it just seems to be a creation of Google's imagination, and is missing a TON of coverage from both carriers.
    Agree about urban dead spots. I was talking in general. I wish I could find the link to the article and how it talked about the method carriers use to come up with their maps. Kind of just a test of an area in a region the tower is "suppose" to reach, then they apply (assume) that result to the whole tower region. Something like that.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Agree about urban dead spots. I was talking in general. I wish I could find the link to the article and how it talked about the method carriers use to come up with their maps. Kind of just a test of an area in a region the tower is "suppose" to reach, then they apply (assume) that result to the whole tower region. Something like that.
    They keep changing too. Verizon's used to be super crayoned, while AT&T's was marginally more accurate. Now Verizon's is better, and AT&T's is super crayoned. Over time, they seem to lose differentiation between roaming, extended, etc. Meanwhile, Sprint's is just a total lie until you really zoom in, as they're basically using Verizon's CDMA/1x map. That will have to shrink quite a bit when Verizon turns off CDMA/1x.