Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SurgePhone free ad-sponsored service 1GB data, unlimited texts, 16 hours talk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    Why do you need to register your number?
    I meant at their website MySurgePhone to track my usage, etc. Maybe check when my data will finish or like when is my next billing date

Anyways, they had some issue with website but now they setup it correctly and it sends a 4 digit OTP/One Time Password to register at MySurgePhone.

Also, Moolah Mobile isn't white listed so just for trial tried and played around the app, it used 11 MB data and it was deducted from my Surge Phone balance.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Good to hear you got things straightened out. MCC/MNC is 310 260, so T-Mobile.

You should bring up the zero-rated issue with Surge support. I think zero-rating will need to happen, as else you will burn through 1GB just from Moolah ads alone. 11MB/ad * 3 ads/day * 30 days = 990MB.

For the benefit of folks here interested in Surge:

. The Moolah app replaces your app launcher (and home screen), correct?

. Aside from passive ads on top of home screen, do you get pop-ups or any form of ads that require active hands-on to dismiss them?

. What other types of ads/surveys are there, outside of home screen ads?

. Does Moolah app have a wifi-only setting?

. Is your free service contingent on you getting $10 (10K M points) from Moolah app? Do you get charged for any shortfall?

. Share screenshot of MySurgePhone portal?

. Lastly, some folks were wondering if you can move the SIM to another phone (sans Moolah) and still have it work. If you want to try, then please share. But be aware that this violates the Surge agreement and may cost you $10 for the month.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It looks like Moolah App pair IMEI, SIM number and phone number together during initial startup. The only question is if it is possible to move SIM card with Moolah App to another phone and to re-pair it with new IMEI.

Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    If I put this on a phone , keep it logged in but never answer any surveys or watch ads will it still work ?

Just thinking of putting an old phone in my truck for GPS tracking if needed,
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    >The only question is if it is possible to move SIM card with Moolah App to another phone and to re-pair it with new IMEI.

Both Moolah and SurgePhone just popped out of the oven, and any implementation will be rudimentary. Emphasis will be getting basic things to work and working out the bugs, not fancy features. Moreover, Moolah's CEO profile (a recent grad dabbling in various projects, with Moolah his latest) indicates zero expertise and low competency for Moolah. Given these, I'd err on the side of simple.

Per earlier posted Moolah piece, Moolah credits Surge for up to $10, then any subsequent credits >$10 are yours to spend. That says that Moolah works the same with or without the Surge tie-up. The various ID allows Moolah to send credits to Surge. This is the simplest implementation.

Additionally, Moolah may send active pings to Surge, so Surge can compare time stamps of active Moolah vs active SIM use. If the timestamps don't match, you lose $10. This is one step above simple, and while common sense would dictate it, per above reasons, the feature may not be implemented for now.

There are two costs that you pay for any item: the monetary cost, and the time and "minding" cost. Bargain hunters spend more time to find cheaper items; it's a trade-off. Some people spend much time and attention to save a few bucks, eg swiping ads for pennies--inefficient trade-off. The trick is to aim for efficiency--minimizing both monetary cost as well as "minding" cost.

Playing cat-and-mouse with Surge/Moolah (by swapping SIMs in/out of different phones) is a lose-lose proposition. You are spending a lot of time and "minding" to try to save $10. Whether the exploit works or not, it's not efficient.

1. If you want zero "minding" cost, just pay the $10 straight up and skip Moolah. $10 for 960min, unlim text, and 1GB, is a good deal. You also get the full use of 1GB, and not have Moolah suck up your data.

2. If you want to save $10, install Moolah (or whatever ad-serving app) on an old phone and put it on wifi. To maximize ad cycling (I think Moolah ads are all passive for now), plug it into AC and disable standby. Then use money you get to pay off Surge, or whatever provider you have. In return for the money, there'll be some minding cost.

Again, the key is "minimum repeated effort." If you have to swipe ads or swap SIMs or whatever, you're doing it wrong.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Moolah App requires access to location. If access to location denied, you can not use the phone (Moolah launcher closes every app you are trying to open).

Also, Moolah app requires Usage access (collect statistics about usage of other apps - time, how frequently used etc.).

Ads are not intrusive, Moolah Launcher is buggy but usable.

I am OK with these spying activities considering my usage pattern: I am going to use the phone mainly as Navigator and Google already knows my locations.

P.S. SurgePhone SIM card works perfect in my unlocked (from Sprint/FreedomPop) ZTE N9136 (ZTE Prestige 2). Much faster than Freedompop Sprint LTE or Freedompop AT&T LTE.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    2. If you want to save $10, install Moolah (or whatever ad-serving app) on an old phone and put it on wifi. To maximize ad cycling (I think Moolah ads are all passive for now), plug it into AC and disable standby. Then use money you get to pay off Surge, or whatever provider you have. In return for the money, there'll be some minding cost..
    It will not work: Moolah links together IMEI, SIM number and phone number. So, most likely you have to use Moolah on the same phone where you have SurgePhone SIM.

You can (I tested it) to re-pair your Moolah app with different phone (IMEI) if you insert your SurgePhone SIM into different phone.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by trackVW View Post
    If I put this on a phone , keep it logged in but never answer any surveys or watch ads will it still work ?

Just thinking of putting an old phone in my truck for GPS tracking if needed,
    It's not worth the hassle. Tello pay as you go (Sprint) or Truphone (ATT) are much better for very limited use.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    As in post #20, why would in the world anyone mess with this monstrosity? If you have the option of paying $10 for the 1 GB plan that isn't bad, but otherwise screwing around with the Moolah-sponsored model would be way more hassle than it's worth.

Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FreeUp, FreedomPop US & MX, Toggle UK, Piranha, Netzclub DE, Simyo ES, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by nocaps View Post
    As in post #20, why would in the world anyone mess with this monstrosity? If you have the option of paying $10 for the 1 GB plan that isn't bad, but otherwise screwing around with the Moolah-sponsored model would be way more hassle than it's worth.
    I agree that, assuming no workarounds, it isn't worth it to use this on your primary device. However, if it's the case that there's little to no required activity to maintain totally free service, it might be nice to have for a secondary device, e.g. spare phone for the car. If the service allows hotspot use, that too could be useful.

We should also keep in mind that a service like this could be very useful for low- or no-income individuals.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    >Moolah App requires access to location. If access to location denied, you can not use the phone (Moolah launcher closes every app you are trying to open).

So Moolah does replace your app launcher. Thanks also for informing that it will hold your phone hostage unless you give it the privileges it wants.

>Also, Moolah app requires Usage access

Great. So all your activities on the phone are vacuumed up as well. I'm sure that doesn't matter to you.

>You can (I tested it) to re-pair your Moolah app with different phone (IMEI) if you insert your SurgePhone SIM into different phone.

Why the heck would you want to install adware on multiple phones? Isn't the point of swapping out the SIM to avoid adware?

Realize that adware as an app launcher has serious implications. It's not just any app. The app launcher controls many aspects of your phone, and per above can lock you out of your phone. You are basically handing over your phone to adware for 33 cents a day. I'm always surprised at how people can give away so much for so little.

>It will not work: Moolah links together IMEI, SIM number and phone number. So, most likely you have to use Moolah on the same phone where you have SurgePhone SIM.

Of course it works. Moolah is a standalone app that works with any phone. The Surge tie-in allows your Surge acct to be credited, but you should still get credits in your digital wallet otherwise.

The better question is whether Moolah still requires hardware/acct ID if there's no tie-in. Being adware, it likely does, because why not? If you are set on making pennies from ads, I'd suggest using a dummy phone and not your regular phone. You can spoof all of the above, and you don't need Surge.

>We should also keep in mind that a service like this could be very useful for low- or no-income individuals.

Low/no-income people can already get free service from LifeLine programs. Sure, people will always flock to free stuff. But these types of programs exploit people's ignorance about their privacy's worth. It's only "free" if they don't know any better.

Privacy aside, which I get few people here care about, the main roadblock to these adware ventures is the hassle and annoyance involved. They have to monetize enough to make money, which means flashing a lot of ads in people's face, or making them do surveys and whatnot. All of them have failed so far. Judging from Moolah app review score, Moolah isn't likely to be the first.

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Sounds interesting, but I am tiring of these "free" services. You can get 1gb/mth paid service for really cheap now, and these free services also seem to be more hassle than the few bucks they save. Also, they usually seem to fail after a year or two.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by clocks11 View Post
    Sounds interesting, but I am tiring of these "free" services. You can get 1gb/mth paid service for really cheap now, and these free services also seem to be more hassle than the few bucks they save. Also, they usually seem to fail after a year or two.
    Yes I have been feeling the same way lately. If you really want "free" then it is probably best to decouple the service from the rewards program ie earn rewards on ibotta/swagbucks/inbox dollars etc and then buy whatever plan you want. That way if the rewards program fails then your service will still be fine.

At least there are still a few free options out there that require no to little input eg freeup. And with redpocket announcing that they plan to keep a free tier after their FP purchase that may well be an interesting option for those of us looking for free service.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    To all people complaining about spying by Moolah/Surgephone: yes, Moolah collect info regarding phone usage patterns (and pays you $10/month for this), but Moolah is asking less permissions than Freedompop Messaging app (no request for contacts etc.). FP Messaging App asked for location (same as Moolah).

Moolah asks for Usage permission, but this permission is pure statistical: For example, Moolah knows that from 11:20 AM to 11:47 AM you watched Youtube in landscape mode, but it does knot know what videos you watched.

I think it is pretty good deal for $1GB/month and 1000 mins/month and definitely may work for occasional usage/backup phone/navigation etc. Of course, you should not install sensitive apps (online banking etc.) on the phone with Moolah launcher.

P.S. SurgePhone supports VoLTE (assuming your phone also supports it).

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8820 (WiFi/UMA/GPS)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile w/ [email protected]
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    My problem is with the Moolah app. I gave it a go (without linking it to any service plan) on my spare phone just to get a feel for it, and its just awful. The launcher is basically unusable, slow, full of bugs, etc. They really need to go back to the drawing board with it IMO else no one will bother just to save a few bucks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast