Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is Tracfone 4G available only on Verizon network (SIM)?

Device(s)
    RAMOS MOS1 MAX
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Is Tracfone 4G available only on Verizon network (SIM)?

Hi,

I have been using Tracfone for awhile, using a Tracfone SIM and a "non-major brand" phone (a Ramos MOS1 Max). With that phone, I can get data working, and the phone shows a "3G" with an small "3G" superscript. I was just curious and I was wondering if anyone knows if it would be possible to get this phone working with 4G on Tracfone?

Also, while googling, I have the impression that Tracfone 4G is only on the Verizon network (in which case, I guess the answer to my 1st question above would be "no"). Is that the case?

Thanks,
    Jim

EDIT: BTW another reason for the 2nd question above is that I am thinking of getting a newer phone, so if the answer to the 2nd question is that it is only on Verizon's network, then I am probably also going to start thinking about moving to a different carrier, as I would like a phone that works both in the U.S., and in (South) Korea and Japan.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, Lumia 640XL
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    4G is available for Tracfone customers using AT&T, T-mobile, and Verizon. I have several phones on Tracfone, using AT&T, T-mo, Verizon, and they all have 4G data. THIS SITE says the Ramos MOS1 Max uses Android 5.1, so it might be old (2014-2015?) and doesn't have 4G capability.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    That phone does not have the LTE bands for US carriers, so why you only see 3G. I might work on LTE Asia, but not sure what bands Japan and S. Korea use. It has B38,B39,B40,B41

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Chea...he-USA_id77933

Device(s)
    RAMOS MOS1 MAX
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks hpham and loboheeler,

I was going to mention that I *thought* that I had seen "LTE" on this same phone when I was in Korea last time, but I wasn't sure, so I deleted that part of my message. So, loboheeler, what you said probably explains what I saw over there.

The Ramos is pretty beat up by now, and the screen glass has actually been starting to crack in several areas, so I am starting to look for a new phone, so which bads should I look for for U.S. 4G (and over in Korea/Japan)?

Would something like this one work (Xiaomi Redmi Note 7) both in U.S. and in Korea/Japan:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q6ZZ4S1

?

If not, any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jim

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ohaya View Post

Would something like this one work (Xiaomi Redmi Note 7) both in U.S. and in Korea/Japan:
    Same problem with the lack of US LTE bands. When they use the term "global version" it usually means not in the US. The smaller Chinese manufacturers mostly make phones for China and India. You might check out the offerings from Blu, who does market in the US.

Device(s)
    RAMOS MOS1 MAX
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Same problem with the lack of US LTE bands. When they use the term "global version" it usually means not in the US. The smaller Chinese manufacturers mostly make phones for China and India. You might check out the offerings from Blu, who does market in the US.

Hi,

I'm not trying to be argumentative... but I am confused.

According to the Amazon page, that (for example) phone supports:

4G LTE Bands: LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500)

According to a page I found (sorry I have to go find it):

AT&T LTE FREQUENCY BANDS
    700 MHz Band 12, 13, 29
    850 MHz Band 5
    1700/2100 MHz Band 4
    1900 MHz Band 2
    2600 MHz Band 30

and:

For T-Mobile:

Frequency bands
    1900 MHz 2

4G LTE

4G (HSPA+)

3G (UMTS/HSPA)

2G (GSM/GPRS/EDGE)

1700/2100 MHz

(AWS)

4G LTE

4G (HSPA+)

3G (UMTS/HSPA)

4G LTE
    850 MHz 5

4G LTE
    700 MHz 12 4G LTE
    600 MHz 71

4G LTE

So, it seems like both AT&T and T-mobile work with Band 5, and that Redmi Note 7 phone works with Band 5, so won't that phone work with both AT&T and T-mobile?

Or am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks,
    Jim

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'm not trying to be argumentative... but I am confused.

So, it seems like both AT&T and T-mobile work with Band 5, and that Redmi Note 7 phone works with Band 5, so won't that phone work with both AT&T and T-mobile?

The article that loboheeler linked to in post #3 above says "The remaining bands 2, 4 and 5 are mostly used in areas where AT&T does not have band 12/17, while in the densely populated metros, AT&T combines spectrum from multiple bands for better coverage. This is the reason why it is important that your phone supports all and not just one of these bands, in order for you to make maximum use of 4G LTE speeds."

It also says for T-mobile "Band 5 (850MHz): Extremely limited use. Most band 5 coverage is offered by Verizon and AT&T. T-Mobile only operates LTE on this band around the Myrtle Beach, South Carolina area".

So while band 5 is one of the bands that AT&T and T-mo use, it's not widely used and might not be available at your location. The table in that article shows the MAIN BANDS used by each carrier in bold. For a phone to have a high chance of working with a particular carrier, it should have the bands which that carrier mainly uses.

Device(s)
    RAMOS MOS1 MAX
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    The article that loboheeler linked to in post #3 above says "The remaining bands 2, 4 and 5 are mostly used in areas where AT&T does not have band 12/17, while in the densely populated metros, AT&T combines spectrum from multiple bands for better coverage. This is the reason why it is important that your phone supports all and not just one of these bands, in order for you to make maximum use of 4G LTE speeds."

It also says for T-mobile "Band 5 (850MHz): Extremely limited use. Most band 5 coverage is offered by Verizon and AT&T. T-Mobile only operates LTE on this band around the Myrtle Beach, South Carolina area".

So while band 5 is one of the bands that AT&T and T-mo use, it's not widely used and might not be available at your location. The table in that article shows the MAIN BANDS used by each carrier in bold. For a phone to have a high chance of working with a particular carrier, it should have the bands which that carrier mainly uses.

Ahh. Ok, thanks for the clarification. Actually, I am currently on Tracfone/AT&T, but I have been considering switching to T-mobile post-pay, and we are in Virginia, so what you said is definitely important!

Jim

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Just because a carrier CAN run on a certain LTE band does not mean that they DO in certain areas. AT&T needs B12 and B17. T-Mobile needs B4 and B2. Verizon needs B13 and B4.

Device(s)
    RAMOS MOS1 MAX
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Hi,

Wow! It appears that finding a phone like I'm looking for is more complicated/difficult than I thought !

So here is what I was hoping to find:

- Unlocked phone works with both AT&T and T-mobile 4G (in case we switch) SIMs
    - Works in Japan and South Korea (ideally with their 4G)
    - Size: 6.x inches
    - RAM > 3GB
    - WIFI
    - Headset jack (3.5)
    - Not-too-old Android version (Ideally 9.0/Pie)
    - Has Google Play

Nice-to-haves:
    - Gorilla glass

Would this work? Can you all let me know what you think?

Moto G7:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ked.html/specs
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/motorol...?skuId=6324277

Thanks,
    Jim

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The Moto G7 definitely will work with the major carriers in the US. However, when I used the link below to check for compatibility with carriers in South Korea, the results don't look good. (I didn't look at all the different G7 models). You might want to tweak that site a bit further by specifying a Korean carrier.

Frequency Check for South Korea

Device(s)
    RAMOS MOS1 MAX
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    The Moto G7 definitely will work with the major carriers in the US. However, when I used the link below to check for compatibility with carriers in South Korea, the results don't look good. (I didn't look at all the different G7 models). You might want to tweak that site a bit further by specifying a Korean carrier.

Frequency Check for South Korea

This is what the B&H site (web) shows on that Moto G7 page when I tried checking Japan and Korea (Japan also has another one but I didn't paste that in):

Name:  motog7.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  42.2 KB

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    This is what the B&H site (web) shows on that Moto G7 page when I tried checking Japan and Korea (Japan also has another one but I didn't paste that in)
    The info at B&H might be more accurate. I checked a few more models at the FrequencyCheck site and found some inaccurate info. The best thing to do is to cross check the info at as many sites as you can.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I haven't checked, but I wonder if a relatively reasonably priced Pixel 3a would have most of the bands you're looking for?

Device(s)
    RAMOS MOS1 MAX
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I haven't checked, but I wonder if a relatively reasonably priced Pixel 3a would have most of the bands you're looking for?
    Hi,

So that (Pixel 3a XL) is what some my kids are suggesting. My daughter has that, so I will look at it tonight.

- The "cons" for the Pixel is that that Pixel is almost $200 more than the Moto G7, and it is slightly smaller.

- The "cons" for the Moto G7 seem like the glass back (so need a protective case) and I've seen reviews that said the sound/voice quality is not good.

So, if anyone has the Moto G7, can you post about the voice/sound quality? If that is not as terrible as some of the reviews mention, then I am more inclined to go with the Moto G7 (I am not used to paying a lot for phones ...).

Thanks,
    Jim

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast