Thread: Data usage when sending a photo in text message? Other data concern.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Data usage when sending a photo in text message? Other data concern.

Thinking about getting a tracfone deal that includes a smart phone and year of service with 1500 text/voice and 1.5gb data for $80. This will be for my mother that currently has an old fashion tracfone, triple minutes non-smart phone.

I'm wondering how photos sent or received in a text message are charged on the new plans? Does it count against text usage, data usage, or both?

She has wifi at home, so that will help with data, but worried how fast that 1.5gb will go. Can all data be turned off until wifi is available?

She gets by on the old plan paying $20 every 3 months. Just worried if we change to a smartphone plan that it'll cost way more.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It counts against both your text and data banks. I don't think that you can do MMS texts over wifi unless you use a virtual phone service like Google Voice. I send photos over email as much as possible, so as to not incur the data costs of an MMS text.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    My sister got her very first smartphone recently from Great Call (that one with the 5-Star button, no idea why). She is competent with tech. I certainly recommended a better plan, but this one has a comfort factor. The screen has custom buttons that would look idiotic to us.

She didn't listen to me about using wifi, and we exchanged a number of email photos.

Her first bill had an $80 data overage.

Just saying.

So it depends on paying attention when someone offers advice.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Most texting apps have a way to reduce image sizes before sending to reduce data usage.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks for the replies.

I just discovered tello which seems might work for her as well. Can get 500 talk min, unlimited text, and 1gb per month for only $8 a month. Only negatives I see are high phone price upfront and sprint network.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Photos over text are reduced in size to save on data, but photos in emails are not reduced so cost more data. I would think that bundle would last your mom a year at least, unless she goes wild with streaming videos or something

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by flacktracit View Post
    It counts against both your text and data banks. I don't think that you can do MMS texts over wifi unless you use a virtual phone service like Google Voice. I send photos over email as much as possible, so as to not incur the data costs of an MMS text.
    This is exactly what I do for sending pictures.
    People know to only send me pictures to my Google Voice number or in email.

I'm almost always using WiFi so Google Voice and email works great for me.

Sent from my Luscious LG Fiesta 2

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by slick-rides View Post

She has wifi at home, so that will help with data, but worried how fast that 1.5gb will go. Can all data be turned off until wifi is available?

She gets by on the old plan paying $20 every 3 months. Just worried if we change to a smartphone plan that it'll cost way more.
    Your Mom should really like the HD Voice feature that will come with activation of the later model phones. Only works (so far) when calling to other Verizon based phones though. Yes, you can turn data off and run on WiFi. Downside is that some things need cellular data to work, like the Visual Voicemail you will also be getting with the activation. More on that subject when you get it.

Only downside to smartphone airtime cards compared to basic cards is less service time. Not an issue for a while if getting a bundle deal with 1 year service. Everything can be bought separate now to tailor your plan. Minutes, texts, data, service time.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I send most of my texts over Whatsapp. I've sent pics and video clips 3minutes long on wifi with zero data use. If you're on wifi you can turn data off and still have full functional use.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Google Voice is the best. I use it as my sole texting app at home. I only turn on my data when out with with no wifi available. And if your mother is a Xfinity Comcast internet customer she can use their hotspot wifi when out to expand wifi use. My phone is constantly switching over to Xfinity wifi when I am out. It is becoming quite prolific, at least where I live. A lot of businesses seem to have it.