Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Traveling to Canada

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Traveling to Canada

Hi All!
    I am planning on traveling to Canada in a few weeks for a two week vacation.

Any suggestions on where to get a sim card? I would be using my unlocked S9, but I am guessing that I should not try to use it with my Trac VZW sim, correct?
    Do we need to take the sim cards out of all of our phones before crossing the border to avoid problems with tracfone?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, Lumia 640XL
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by FT_VZW View Post
    Do we need to take the sim cards out of all of our phones before crossing the border to avoid problems with tracfone?
    If you'll have your phones on for other uses like GPS, WiFi, etc. you should remove the TF SIMs so other people won't try to call you and get you into problems with TF.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks hpham! Kind of what I thought.
    Has anybody tried AT&T prepaid for this purpose?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Someone mentioned that T-Mobile will roam in Canada. I believe the recommendation was to load up a sim with a monthly card while still at home. Then you will have something to use, provided your phone is compatible with T-Mobile.

Verizon will do you no good in Canada anyway. Your phone will have nothing to connect to, I believe. So no issues with Tracfone getting in trouble.

There should be opportunities to use wifi for calls if you are set up for that.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Verizon will do you no good in Canada anyway. Your phone will have nothing to connect to, I believe. So no issues with Tracfone getting in trouble.
    Verizon can roam in Canada so there's something it can connect too. People along the border have had problems in the past.
    Last edited by ST Dog; 06-18-2019 at 05:19 PM.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    There's no need to remove your US SIM card before crossing the border. It will simply continue working until you're far enough across the border and out of range of US cell towers.

Canadian paygo is pretty expensive and usually requires a higher-ish initial investment. That's why I recommend the $10, 2GB T-Mo data plan I talked about in the threads linked above. Of course, you'll want to get your GV # + Hangouts set up and working on your phone before you leave for your trip. After that, any data connection, either WiFi or the T-Mo SIM card, will allow voice and messaging to work with your GV # + Hangouts.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks Boz1!
    I think I'll go with the T-Mobil plan as you have suggested.
    What's the least expensive way of getting a T-Mobile sim card? Looks like T-Mobile wants $10 if I order one off their website. Hopefully there are less expensive alternatives?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks Boz1!
    I think I'll go with the T-Mobil plan as you have suggested.
    What's the least expensive way of getting a T-Mobile sim card? Looks like T-Mobile wants $10 if I order one off their website. Hopefully there are less expensive alternatives?
    You're welcome.

A lot of people have mentioned getting them from an Apple Store for free. I don't know if that's still possible, so double check before making a trip.

Since the Apple Store closest to me isn't convenient, I've gotten them from eBay for the last couple of years.

The last one I ordered was $3.68 from https://www.ebay.com/itm/292663061148 and it was delivered quickly.

EDIT
    Hmmm...after 7,205 sold, that one is now OOS. Perhaps https://www.ebay.com/itm/183786908903 for $3.49 delivered would be another option.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks Boz1!
    I am assuming you tried this yourself, and it was working fine? I would be getting the same ebay sim card, and then activate online, right?

What data speeds did you get, and what carrier was used in Canada? I will be traveling to the Jasper / Banff areas, if that makes any difference ....

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks Boz1!
    I am assuming you tried this yourself, and it was working fine? I would be getting the same ebay sim card, and then activate online, right?

What data speeds did you get, and what carrier was used in Canada? I will be traveling to the Jasper / Banff areas, if that makes any difference ....
    Yes, I use a T-Mobile data only SIM card in Canada with GV + Hangouts. I actually use data only with GV + Hangouts in the US, too, but that's beside the point.

With only 2GB, I don't do speed tests. But my phone indicates LTE in Canada, and it works just as well as it does in the US. In Ontario, between Windsor and Niagara Falls, on my phone, I see mostly Bell, sometimes Telus, and occasionally Rogers. I'm not sure what you'll see in Alberta, but I'd guess it will work just as well.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Awesome, that's great!
    I already have GV installed, and use it.
    What does Hangouts add?

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Verizon can roam in Canada so there's something it can connect too. People along the boarder have had problems in the past.
    Verizon supports roaming in Canada, but does the Tracfone MVNO support roaming in Canada? Unless specifically states it supports it, it will likely not work.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Verizon supports roaming in Canada, but does the Tracfone MVNO support roaming in Canada? Unless specifically states it supports it, it will likely not work.
    I wouldn't want to be the to find out otherwise.

No, TF doesn't support it but weird things happen.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Awesome, that's great!
    I already have GV installed, and use it.
    What does Hangouts add?
    Nothing, as long as calls over data work for you using the GV app.

I listed the reasons why I still use Hangouts and won't switch to the GV app yet in one of the threads I linked above, if you're interested. Probably none of the reasons will affect a casual VoIP GV user.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast