Thread: How do you know which paid unlocking service is legit ?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

How do you know which paid unlocking service is legit ?

There seem to be more than 7 billion paid unlocking services.

Every unlocking question anywhere on the Internet has dozens of guys popping up with "I used fredunlock.net and it worked fine" but all those posts are anonymous.

The only thing I would trust is experiences of Howard Forums members who had a significant number of past posts about a variety of phone issues.

So, what to do?

BTW, the often read reply is "buy an unlocked phone", but I buy used phones and it takes a lot of searching to find the model that I want without other issues, so it's hard to find that AND unlocked.

Thanks !

PS The unlocking thing seems to be easy with Verizon and AT&T and "illegally difficult" with T-Mobile and Sprint. Nothing has changed since over 5 years ago:

https://www.repeaterstore.com/pages/...ng-commitments

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Use the cheapest eBay seller that claims to have what you need. If it doesn't work, get a refund. That works for me.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Use the cheapest eBay seller that claims to have what you need. If it doesn't work, get a refund. That works for me.
    Hmm, at least one of the carriers says "If you input the wrong code 5 times, the phone will permanently lock".

So, it seems that this cannot be wrong more than one or twice...

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dude View Post
    Hmm, at least one of the carriers says "If you input the wrong code 5 times, the phone will permanently lock". So, it seems that this cannot be wrong more than one or twice...
    what phone is it that your trying to unlock ?? and is it a prepaid phone or a postpaid (contract) phone ??

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Samsung factory replacement for a T-Mobile postpaid phone. It was used very little for an older model phone, has VoLTE, etc.

I want to use a Truphone SIM in it, since I use Wifi for almost everything, but want to have cellular service for a few times of year when there is no wifi.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Samsung factory replacement for a T-Mobile postpaid phone. It was used very little for an older model phone, has VoLTE, etc. I want to use a Truphone SIM in it, since I use Wifi for almost everything, but want to have cellular service for a few times of year when there is no wifi.
    have you already tried a Truphone sim in the phone to see if it isn't already unlocked ?? if not, will T-Mobile unlock the phone ??

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Hmm, at least one of the carriers says "If you input the wrong code 5 times, the phone will permanently lock".

So, it seems that this cannot be wrong more than one or twice...
    I haven't seen that limitation for a SIM card slot unlock mentioned before.

Samsung factory replacement for a T-Mobile postpaid phone. It was used very little for an older model phone, has VoLTE, etc.

I want to use a Truphone SIM in it, since I use Wifi for almost everything, but want to have cellular service for a few times of year when there is no wifi.
    Have you found a seller that even claims to be able to unlock the mystery phone that you won't specifically name?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I haven't seen that limitation for a SIM card slot unlock mentioned before....
    The phones I have unlocked have said, "You have {some number} of tries" (to enter a good unlock code) when the "foreign" SIM is powered on. That message would come from something baked in the phone. I had heard that the phone would "brick" if enter a wrong unlock code too many times.

My phone unlocks were all AT&T Prepaid models. Some were with a code from AT&T when they provided them. A few were with unlock codes off eBay. For the eBay codes, I just picked sellers that were a balance of the lowest price and the least sleazy looking. All were in the $2 range. I only had a problem with one eBay code. They just did not send one and would not respond to inquiries. I just did a credit card chargeback for that one.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    the only lock limitation I’ve heard of is the PUK code lock that will fry the sim
    if the wrong code was entered too many times.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I haven't seen that limitation for a SIM card slot unlock mentioned before.?
    From an email unlocking an AT&T phone in the past:

Unlock instructions: \

Unlock Steps - Use Non-AT&T SIM Card

1. Power off the device, remove the battery, and insert a non-AT&T SIM card.

2. Re-insert the battery and power on the device with non-AT&T SIM.

3. The device displays "Enter the device unlock code."

4. Enter the eight-digit unlock code.

5. Press OK.

Note: You are allowed five attempts to unlock before your device permanently locks to the AT&T network.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Okay. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I did not mention the model because that would sidetrack the discussion.

The question is - does anyone know of any reliable unlock services - and - how do you know?

I did an ebay search and the least expensive code is US$11, which is more than 10% of the (used) cost of the phone.