Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any way to prevent sim swapping?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Any way to prevent sim swapping?

So I just read a security article where someone lost their entire google account due to sim swapping hack. Anyway to prevent tracfone from swapping your sim should someone try to pose as you on the phone?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, Lumia 640XL
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by charmedangelina View Post
    So I just read a security article where someone lost their entire google account due to sim swapping hack. Anyway to prevent tracfone from swapping your sim should someone try to pose as you on the phone?
    I don't know what the article said. But to prevent unauthorized actions against your phone, put it into your account. The imposter must know the answer to your "challenge question" and PIN before a rep will make any change to your phone.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Please provide the full details and/or a link. I don't follow how a SIM swap could cause the loss of a Google account or how a SIM could be swapped if you have possession of your phone. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Please provide the full details and/or a link. I don't follow how a SIM swap could cause the loss of a Google account or how a SIM could be swapped if you have possession of your phone. Thanks.
    Article with full details on what happened and how it effects others.

Article: https://www.zdnet.com/article/sim-sw...lift-a-finger/

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I don't know what the article said. But to prevent unauthorized actions against your phone, put it into your account. The imposter must know the answer to your "challenge question" and PIN before a rep will make any change to your phone.
    Ok thanks, I'm going to look into making sure I have this setup.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Article with full details on what happened and how it effects others.

Article: https://www.zdnet.com/article/sim-sw...lift-a-finger/
    Thank you. That's a REALLY bad story!

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, Lumia 640XL
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    If a phone/SIM is not in a TF account, it's very easy to "hijack" it. A while back when a forum member gave me the remaining units and days of his BYOP SIM, he didn't even have to physically mail it to me. All he did was removing it from his account, gave me the phone number associated with it. I added it to my TF account, using just its phone number, then contacted TF via Chat and had the rep combine its units & days to my main phone. So if your phone/SIM is not in your TF account, a bad guy who knows your phone number or SIM or IMEI number (people inadvertently post them sometimes) can hijack it and add it to his account.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    That's the thing that makes me a bit apprehensive with relying on a Google voice number, no way to contact Google if there's a problem.

Sent from my LGL63BL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    What exactly does your sim card have to do with Google?

Sent from my LGL63BL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    What exactly does your sim card have to do with Google?
    It's explained in the article. It's something about two-factor authentication, I think.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The problem is SMS-based 2-factor-authentication (2FA). When the crook hijacks the SIM and knows the account names that use that particular phone number for 2FA, the accounts are gone. Lessons learned. Don't use SMS for 2FA and be careful of what you store in the cloud storage.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The ZDNet article is talking about a different kind of SIM swapping: assigning your phone number to a different SIM card. In this forum, SIM swap usually means that you take out your SIM card from one phone and put it in another phone.

Also, that guy in the article was already hacked. Even if someone took over your phone number, he can't log into your Google account. He needs the password. So, as usual, make sure you have a good password.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by rchang View Post
    Also, that guy in the article was already hacked. Even if someone took over your phone number, he can't log into your Google account. He needs the password. So, as usual, make sure you have a good password.
    It isn't clear how did the guy lost his Google account. But apparently the crook did get into his Google account and got all his personal data stored in the cloud which lead to the bank fund transfer. I know a lot of on-line accounts just send a code/link to the e-mail address or phone # on record if you request password reset. I don't know what Google's process is if you make password request.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8, Moto X4, Moto G5 Plus, Blu R1HD, several flip phones
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Lycamobile, Red Pocket, H2O
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Have you guys never used the Forgot Password function on a site? They confirm it's you by sending a code to the phone number you placed on file with the website. If the hacker has moved your number to his phone, he gets the code and resets the password to whatever he wants. He now owns your account on that website and you don't know it until you discover your phone no longer works. If it's Google he hacked and you've stored personal info on Drive, he now has full access to that. So tell the website to send the code to a Google Voice number which you set up to alert you via Hangouts or something that doesn't count on using your phone number.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast