Thread: Some Sprint/FreedomPop CDMA/LTE phones are unlockable for GSM/UMTS/LTE usage

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Some Sprint/FreedomPop CDMA/LTE phones are unlockable for GSM/UMTS/LTE usage

Just to let you know: some CDMA/LTE Freedompop phones are unlockable for GSM usage (domestic and international).

You can do it with Samsung phones

https://www.ebay.com/sch/317/i.html?...Samsung+Sprint

and ZTE phones:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...Samsung+Sprint

It looks like many LG phones (that locked to Sprint) also unlockable.

I was able to unlock my two ZTE Prestige 2 (ZTE N9136). The guy connected to my PC via TeamViewer and unlocked the phone (there was some kind of ROM re-programming).

You have to use Windows 10 PC (it looks like some drivers used for this procedure exist only for Win 10).

Create restore point before unlock procedure starts (there are some programs installed and easiest way to remove them for sure is to return back to restore point).

I was able to use T-Mobile SIM card with unlocked ZTE Presige 2 (changed the network to Automatic from LTE/CDMA). Of course, VoLTE and W-Fi calling do not work, but everything else works (Note: my ZTE Prestige 2 has following US LTE bands: 2 / 4 / 5 / 12 / 25 / 26 / 41) and the phone can be used for sure for Internet browsing.
    Last edited by RFK; 06-18-2019 at 06:17 PM.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Good info. Which one did u use?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    Just to let you know: some CDMA/LTE Freedompop phones are unlockable for GSM usage (domestic and international).

You can do it with Samsung phones

https://www.ebay.com/sch/317/i.html?...Samsung+Sprint

and ZTE phones:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...Samsung+Sprint

I was able to unlock my two ZTE Prestige 2 (ZTE N9136). The guy connected to my PC via TeamViewer and unlocked the phone (there was some kind of ROM re-programming).

You have to use Windows 10 PC (it looks like some drivers used for this procedure exist only for Win 10).

Create restore point before unlock procedure starts (there are some programs installed and easiest way to remove them for sure is to return back to restore point).

I was able to use T-Mobile SIM card with unlocked ZTE Presige 2 (changed the network to Automatic from LTE/CDMA). Of course, VoLTE and W-Fi calling do not work, but everything else works (Note: my ZTE Prestige 2 has following US LTE bands: 2 / 4 / 5 / 12 / 25 / 26 / 41) and the phone can be used for sure for Internet browsing.
    Pretty much ever Sprint phone from 2015 has been compatible. That's been known. Even more recent ones have B71.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Good info. Which one did u use?
    See PM with the link.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    Pretty much ever Sprint phone from 2015 has been compatible. That's been known. Even more recent ones have B71.

They are compatible, but usually not unlockable (if your are not Sprint proper customer) for domestic GSM (AT&T and T-Mobile) usage. FreedomPop explicitly states that it does not unlock its phones for domestic GSM usage.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    They are compatible, but usually not unlockable (if your are not Sprint proper customer) for domestic usage.
    There is a period where you have to use the phone on there network, yes. That's not different then unlocking a att or TMO device. Once you complete that they will unlock it

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    There is a period where you have to use the phone on there network, yes. That's not different then unlocking a att or TMO device. Once you complete that they will unlock it

You are wrong. FreedomPop explicitly states that it does not unlock its phones for domestic GSM usage:

https://support.freedompop.com/app/a...rom-freedompop

Are FreedomPop's phones released?
    FreedomPop phones work best with our system and plans. However, if the device is unlocked, it can be used with other CDMA carriers.

Please Note: Even if the device is unlocked, it cannot be used outside of the U.S. with international carriers, and it cannot be used with GSM carriers like AT&T or T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    You are wrong. FreedomPop explicitly states that it does not unlock its phones for domestic GSM usage:

I'm talking about Sprint. I don't know anything about freedom Pop. They shouldn't legally be able to do that. Do they do that same thing with the att freedom Pop phones?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'm talking about Sprint. I don't know anything about freedom Pop. They shouldn't legally be able to do that. Do they do that same thing with the att freedom Pop phones?

This topic is about Freedompop phones locked to Sprint CDMA network. I have no idea to what happens to Freedompop GSM phones.

By the way, Ting also does not unlock its CDMA phones for domestic GSM usage. Most likely, all Sprint's MVNOs (except Boost and Virgin Mobile) do not unlock theit CDMA (but GSM capable) phones for domestic GSM usage.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    This topic is about Freedompop phones locked to Sprint CDMA network. I have no idea to what happens to Freedompop GSM phones.

By the way, Ting also does not unlock its CDMA phones for domestic GSM usage. Most likely, all Sprint's MVNOs (except Boost and Virgin Mobile) do not unlock theit CDMA (but GSM capable) phones for domestic GSM usage.
    Sprint doesn't own those, so they can't control that. Plus your said Sprint/ freedom Pop so that's not clear that your only talking about freedom Pop only. Makes it look like your talking about both.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Sprint doesn't own those, so they can't control that.

No, Sprint (and not MVNOs like Ting, Tello or FreedomPop) controls the network and lock status. Ting representative on this forum said that Sprint does not provide (to Ting) API to unlock CDMA phones for domestic GSM usage. They (Ting) can unlock only for international usage and the phone will be locked again if the phone disconnected from <CDMA> service.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    No, Sprint (and not MVNOs like Ting, Tello or FreedomPop) controls the network and lock status. Ting representative on this forum said that Sprint does not provide (to Ting) API to unlock CDMA phones for domestic GSM usage. They (Ting) can unlock only for international usage and the phone will be locked again if the phone disconnected from <CDMA> service.
    These must be cheap crap devices. I'm sure a iPhone or a galaxy wouldn't be like that

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Hhhhmmm look what I found

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I do not know where you found this text, but, regardless of this, under "unlock/release" they mean "release from Freedompop in order to be used with other Sprint MVNO" but not with GSM networks. See official FreedomPop unlocking policy

Please Note: Even if the device is unlocked, it cannot be used outside of the U.S. with international carriers, and it cannot be used with GSM carriers like AT&T or T-Mobile.
    Also, see this discussion topic on Freedompop forums with official answer from FreedomPop support:

https://forums.freedompop.com/us/dis...p-phone#latest

After escalating your request to our support team, we have been advised that we do not release CDMA devices to turn them into GSM phones as this is not part of our policy. Please click here to read more on our release policy.
    Last edited by RFK; 06-19-2019 at 10:29 AM.