Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tracfone is telling me that my BYOP sim card has expired. Can that be true?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Question Tracfone is telling me that my BYOP sim card has expired. Can that be true?

Back in February 2018, I purchased 5 BYOP kits on eBay. I used one to activate service on my phone and held on to the other ones in case I needed them later on.

I gave one to my sister recently who tried to use it but Tracfone told her that it's expired. Is that true? Can sim cards expire? I was not aware of this and now I suppose I have 3 more that are probably useless to me.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Ziss View Post
    Back in February 2018, I purchased 5 BYOP kits on eBay. I used one to activate service on my phone and held on to the other ones in case I needed them later on.

I gave one to my sister recently who tried to use it but Tracfone told her that it's expired. Is that true? Can sim cards expire? I was not aware of this and now I suppose I have 3 more that are probably useless to me.
    I've never heard of that EXCEPT for the SIM cards for TF T-Mobile, which DO have expiration dates, since all T-Mo SIM cards have expiration dates for some reason.

Was she trying to use the TF T-Mobile SIM card? If not, have her double check to see if she can find out what's going on.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, Lumia 640XL
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Earlier this month, I activated a TMFL BYOP TF/AT&T SIM in a kit bought in Sept 2016 during the Family Dollar bonanza. It worked.

Device(s)
    Moto G (6)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Earlier this month, I activated a TMFL BYOP TF/AT&T SIM in a kit bought in Sept 2016 during the Family Dollar bonanza. It worked.
    As Boz1 said, it's just the TMO TF SIMs with an expiration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I did the same thing only with Verizon sims, no problem at all

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Depends if they include airtime.

Sent from my LGL63BL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Boom <Tracfone Verizon BYOP < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    In July of 2018 I transferred BYOP Verizon SIM to a newer BYOP Verizon SIM to eliminate the need for a Data Profile & to get VoLTE on my iPhone 6. The carrier changed from “Verizon” to “TFW” ( which is still Verizon service ). So, the SIM did not expire but I was advantageous to upgrade to the newer one.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks all. I believe it was a TMO card so it must have expired. The strange thing is that the website allowed her to go all the way through the checkout process. It said "success" at the end, gave her a transaction ID number, an order total, and a service end date, but the phone number was "Pending". Tracfone really shouldn't allow people to get this far if the sim card they are trying to activate is expired, hopefully someone at Tracfone is reading this.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks all. I believe it was a TMO card so it must have expired. The strange thing is that the website allowed her to go all the way through the checkout process. It said "success" at the end, gave her a transaction ID number, an order total, and a service end date, but the phone number was "Pending". Tracfone really shouldn't allow people to get this far if the sim card they are trying to activate is expired, hopefully someone at Tracfone is reading this.
    Okay. That makes sense, as I indicated above regarding the TF T-Mo SIM cards. Thanks for letting us know.

I agree, TF should do better at stopping the transaction if the SIM card being used is expired, but, you know, it's TF...

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Can someone please help me find a new one to buy? All the ones I am seeing on eBay say for Smartphone Only plans. It's for a smartphone, but I know that for my own smartphone, I use a pay as you go plan as opposed to a smartphone plan so I want something like that. Also, the one I have has triple everything, but I don't see any of these on eBay either.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Can someone please help me find a new one to buy? All the ones I am seeing on eBay say for Smartphone Only plans. It's for a smartphone, but I know that for my own smartphone, I use a pay as you go plan as opposed to a smartphone plan so I want something like that. Also, the one I have has triple everything, but I don't see any of these on eBay either.
    What do you need? Verizon or AT&T?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    What do you need? Verizon or AT&T?
    I need T-Mobile for an LG G4 which I believe uses a Micro SIM card.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I need T-Mobile for an LG G4 which I believe uses a Micro SIM card.
    The T-mobile SIMs in the TMFL Kits that most of us have would have expired by now, and new BYOP SIM Kits sold within the last 12 months no longer have TMFL benefit.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Okay. I see some listings on eBay that say "triple punch". Does that mean it has TMFL or does it mean something else?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Okay. I see some listings on eBay that say "triple punch". Does that mean it has TMFL or does it mean something else?
    Triple punch means all 3 sizes (mini, micro, nano) on the same card. It used to be the mini and micro are on one card, and the nano on a separate card.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast