Thread: Sim-unlocking former Xfinity phone

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Sim-unlocking former Xfinity phone

I legally own an iphone that had been previously used on Xfinity mobile (all paid off, no outstanding obligations). Xfinity won't sim-unlock it because I am not the original owner. If I activate this phone on my verizon account, will verizon be able to sim-unlock it for me?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Typically only the original phone provider is able to unlock it. Try talking to the original owner have him unlock it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks! Turns out I can't even activate it with Verizon sim.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by phoneadude View Post
    Thanks! Turns out I can't even activate it with Verizon sim.
    even though the Xfinity iphone is locked to Xfinity, you can use the phone with an AT&T and possibly a T Mobile sim - https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinit...7/td-p/2930547

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    even though the Xfinity iphone is locked to Xfinity, you can use the phone with an AT&T and possibly a T Mobile sim - https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinit...7/td-p/2930547
    The people in that thread have no clue what they're talking about. It needs to be unlocked, and then VVM and everything else will work fine. It's an iPhone. I guess xfinitymobile is a different lock than Verizon though, which is interesting.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Xfinity "Marries" their phones to the sim on the account. I recently activated 2 iPhones on Xfi, and then did a sim swap. It worked, but I think it was only because I had the sim of the second phone in their system. I'd like to try and use one of the active sims in a another unlocked iPhone and see if it gets service. They seem to have a pretty serious lockdown of their plans, but I though it was just associated with the sim & service, not the device. One of my iPhones came from Apple, the other from T-Mobile and was unlocked by them. Both were approved by the Xfinity Mobile website by their IMEI checker.

I'm not sure if this helps your issues, but they seem to operate similarly to what Sprint does with their dedicated equipment. Maybe there is a service on ebay that can offer a cheap unlock.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    Xfinity "Marries" their phones to the sim on the account. I recently activated 2 iPhones on Xfi, and then did a sim swap. It worked, but I think it was only because I had the sim of the second phone in their system. I'd like to try and use one of the active sims in a another unlocked iPhone and see if it gets service.
    They must be locking the phone, you can take the SIM out and put it in another phone- that's how people are doing a backdoor BYOD Android on xfinitymobile.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Get an Rsim 14 on ebay

Sent from my SM-N960U using HoFo mobile app