Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: iPhone data off, no alert MMS has arrived

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

iPhone data off, no alert MMS has arrived

I was wondering if anyone knew why this is the case? On android you get the alert, some even briefly turn on data to get the MMS. iPhone for whatever reason doesn't even let you know that an MMS has arrived.

A choice by Apple or is there something in hardware/network that prevents it?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, Lumia 640XL
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I think on iPhones the default is to send/receive MMS by WiFi. Don't know if you get notified if WiFi is off.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I think on iPhones the default is to send/receive MMS by WiFi. Don't know if you get notified if WiFi is off.
    I think that's only between iPhones, in which case the MMS is via iMessage, which works over either cellular data or WiFi.

If it's iPhone to/from Android, it's carrier MMS, and then cellular data is needed.

The only iPhone experience I have is w/ my kids and parents who have iPhones, but they keep cellular data turned on all the time, so it's not an issue, and therefore, I don't know what would happen on their iPhone if I were to send them a MMS when the iPhone cellular data is turned off.

As to the original question, I don't know if there's a way to get an iPhone to provide a notification when a carrier MMS arrives when cellular data is turned off like most Android phones provide.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I think that's only between iPhones, in which case the MMS is via iMessage, which works over either cellular data or WiFi.

If it's iPhone to/from Android, it's carrier MMS, and then cellular data is needed.

The only iPhone experience I have is w/ my kids and parents who have iPhones, but they keep cellular data turned on all the time, so it's not an issue, and therefore, I don't know what would happen on their iPhone if I were to send them a MMS when the iPhone cellular data is turned off.

As to the original question, I don't know if there's a way to get an iPhone to provide a notification when a carrier MMS arrives when cellular data is turned off like most Android phones provide.
    I think you are correct on all of this.

From what I have researched, in an MMS with attachment the text portion is sent through normal SMS method and the picture or attachment is sent over data. I wonder if somehow Apple is joining and putting both parts through MMS data?? In any event I have not found a way around having have data on.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by slamsome View Post
    From what I have researched, in an MMS with attachment the text portion is sent through normal SMS method and the picture or attachment is sent over data. I wonder if somehow Apple is joining and putting both parts through MMS data?? In any event I have not found a way around having have data on.
    Different Android phones work different ways. I had one phone that gave me absolutely no indication that an MMS was sent to me; until the next time I turned on Data then it downloaded both the text and the attachment. Another phone (Phoenix 2) turns on Data automatically when an MMS comes in to download the text and attachment, then turns Data off. My current phone (LG Q6), with Data off, will show the text portion of the incoming MMS, but I have to turn on Data and manually download the attachment. All of those phones use TF/AT&T.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Boom <Tracfone Verizon BYOP < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    On an iphone you can adjust the settings in both "Notifications" & "Messages" regarding SMS/MMS, but the fact remains, with data turned off, that unless you are on wifi and/or have imessage activated with your Apple ID, you won't receive MMS attachments properly.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Different Android phones work different ways. I had one phone that gave me absolutely no indication that an MMS was sent to me; until the next time I turned on Data then it downloaded both the text and the attachment. Another phone (Phoenix 2) turns on Data automatically when an MMS comes in to download the text and attachment, then turns Data off. My current phone (LG Q6), with Data off, will show the text portion of the incoming MMS, but I have to turn on Data and manually download the attachment. All of those phones use TF/AT&T.
    I am still getting used to my TF LG Rebel 4 (Oreo 8.1.0), but I think I just received a group text, with a picture attachment, entirely over wi-fi. (I haven't had data on in a few hours.) Just another data point.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by melman View Post
    I am still getting used to my TF LG Rebel 4 (Oreo 8.1.0), but I think I just received a group text, with a picture attachment, entirely over wi-fi. (I haven't had data on in a few hours.) Just another data point.
    The Rebel probably turned data on/off automatically to receive an MMS. No way an MMS comes through WiFi on an Android phone.

If you want to verify it, turn WiFi off, Data off, and send your Rebel an MMS from another phone or by someone. You may or may not see the Data icon briefly comes on when the MMS comes in. But if the MMS comes through with WiFi off, it did not come in through WiFi.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The Rebel probably turned data on/off automatically to receive an MMS. No way an MMS comes through WiFi on an Android phone.

If you want to verify it, turn WiFi off, Data off, and send your Rebel an MMS from another phone or by someone. You may or may not see the Data icon briefly comes on when the MMS comes in. But if the MMS comes through with WiFi off, it did not come in through WiFi.
    OK, I should have said that the MMS was received with the master data control turned off. I don't know when the MMS was received, or how it was received. As you know, I have my master data setting turned off most of the time, so if the phone can override that to receive a MMS, I'm not aware of it. I will experiment and report back.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    OK, I should have said that the MMS was received with the master data control turned off. I don't know when the MMS was received, or how it was received. As you know, I have my master data setting turned off most of the time, so if the phone can override that to receive a MMS, I'm not aware of it. I will experiment and report back.
    The Rebel 4 will turn data on/off automatically to receive the MMS.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I was getting MMS Robo txts on my Moto E4. I turned "auto download MMS" off in the app settings. I still get a notification with the calling phone number but can then choose if I want to download the Media file. If it's not from someone on my contact list I don't download it. Beware that an MMS from someone you don't know could download something nasty, virus or whatever. I'd recommend if you have that setting to turn off auto download. If you recognize the sender you can download it then.

Anyone know what happens to the MMS media file you don't download? Does it just sit on a server somewhere and eventually gets deleted ?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    In my "App data usage" settings for the Messages app, I have 25K of data usage in my current measurement period which started about 2 weeks ago. That could well be the MMS from yesterday but I don't know. Background data is On and "Unrestricted data access when Data saver is on", is Off. (And I have Data Saver On, and the master data control is Off.) Does that allow MMS's to turn on Data in the background? rpz1 mentions a "auto download MMS" setting and I do not appear to have it, or at least I can't find it yet.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    I was getting MMS Robo txts on my Moto E4. I turned "auto download MMS" off in the app settings. I still get a notification with the calling phone number but can then choose if I want to download the Media file. If it's not from someone on my contact list I don't download it. Beware that an MMS from someone you don't know could download something nasty, virus or whatever. I'd recommend if you have that setting to turn off auto download. If you recognize the sender you can download it then.

Anyone know what happens to the MMS media file you don't download? Does it just sit on a server somewhere and eventually gets deleted ?
    it eventually gets deleted. I've had cases where I didn't notice when an MMS came in, and I went to d/l it, and got a "message expired" notice. Wasn't very long time-wise either. A matter of days.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    In my "App data usage" settings for the Messages app, I have 25K of data usage in my current measurement period which started about 2 weeks ago. That could well be the MMS from yesterday but I don't know. Background data is On and "Unrestricted data access when Data saver is on", is Off. (And I have Data Saver On, and the master data control is Off.) Does that allow MMS's to turn on Data in the background? rpz1 mentions a "auto download MMS" setting and I do not appear to have it, or at least I can't find it yet.

What does the Data Usage graph show?
    To find the "auto download MMS" setting, go to Messages, Settings, Advanced.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyLC View Post

What does the Data Usage graph show?
    To find the "auto download MMS" setting, go to Messages, Settings, Advanced.
    Data usage shows a tiny jump yesterday, however I don't know if it's from the MMS, or from having the data on for a few minutes earlier in the day.

Does it sound "right" that having the master data control off, can be bypassed in this way? I'm still trying to understand all the rules for when data gets used in this version of Android.

Thanks for the pointer to the auto-download-MMS setting. It is on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast