Thread: PAYG, CDMA shutdown & Moto G7 Power?

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

PAYG, CDMA shutdown & Moto G7 Power?

I keep a minimal PagePlus PAYG phone (CDMA) alive as a backup to my main T-Mobile phone, which is currently a Moto G7 Power. A few months back I purchased a Tracfone MyFlip (~$15) in anticipation of the upcoming Verizon CDMA shutdown but have not yet moved the account over to that phone because my main concern is having service in rural areas and VoLTE might not be quite up to CDMA's coverage yet.

Questions:
    1. Is the CDMA shutdown still scheduled for 1 Jan 2020? I'm interested only in voice and text services, not data. I've read both that it will be shutdown at the new year and that they've moved the date to 2023. I suspect that the latter date is only for M2M/IoT services.

2. If I move the account to the MyFlip's SIM, could I use the SIM in the G7 Power or does PagePlus tie the account to the device by IMEI? (Metro does this.)

Thanks!
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I keep a minimal PagePlus PAYG phone (CDMA) alive as a backup to my main T-Mobile phone, which is currently a Moto G7 Power. A few months back I purchased a Tracfone MyFlip (~$15) in anticipation of the upcoming Verizon CDMA shutdown but have not yet moved the account over to that phone because my main concern is having service in rural areas and VoLTE might not be quite up to CDMA's coverage yet.

Questions:
    1. Is the CDMA shutdown still scheduled for 1 Jan 2020? I'm interested only in voice and text services, not data. I've read both that it will be shutdown at the new year and that they've moved the date to 2023. I suspect that the latter date is only for M2M/IoT services.

2. If I move the account to the MyFlip's SIM, could I use the SIM in the G7 Power or does PagePlus tie the account to the device by IMEI? (Metro does this.)

Thanks!
    1. Yes
    2. Yes/No

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I keep a minimal PagePlus PAYG phone (CDMA) alive as a backup to my main T-Mobile phone, which is currently a Moto G7 Power. A few months back I purchased a Tracfone MyFlip (~$15) in anticipation of the upcoming Verizon CDMA shutdown but have not yet moved the account over to that phone because my main concern is having service in rural areas and VoLTE might not be quite up to CDMA's coverage yet....
    I live in a rural area with not great Vz CDMA. CDMA Voice call service inside the house is weak and spotty. I switched my Verizon service to a VoLTE phone back in November. Voice call service inside the house is solid now.

I imagine CDMA vs VoLTE will vary around the country. YMMV.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I live in a rural area with not great Vz CDMA. CDMA Voice call service inside the house is weak and spotty. I switched my Verizon service to a VoLTE phone back in November. Voice call service inside the house is solid now.

I imagine CDMA vs VoLTE will vary around the country. YMMV.
    Same situation, same result.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Can you switch the VoLTE off on the new phone? How is the reception then?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Can you switch the VoLTE off on the new phone? How is the reception then?
    I could switch VoLTE off, but don't want to take any chance of it getting stuck off. The phone uses Verizon via Tracfone. It would be way too much aggravation dealing with them if something goes wrong.

So yes, I really have only compared CDMA on a Galaxy S4 with VoLTE on a Moto G6.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I could switch VoLTE off, but don't want to take any chance of it getting stuck off. The phone uses Verizon via Tracfone. It would be way too much aggravation dealing with them if something goes wrong.
    Should not be a problem turning off/on VoLTE (Enhanced 4G LTE Mode). I have done it many times with a Moto G5 for testing. You should also be able to turn off/on Visual Voicemail.