Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What AT&T Phone Would Have The Absolute Best Range In The United States Currently?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

What AT&T Phone Would Have The Absolute Best Range In The United States Currently?

As posted above, I am wondering what would be the best way to get AT&T service in the most remote parts of the United States currently? I do remember bag phones and I even sort of recall something within the last year of someone offering a bag phone that works with the current AT&T bands. If there was a modern day bag phone with an external antenna for the mobile environment, I would consider it.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Bag phones were phased out when Analog and TDMA networks were shut down almost 10 years ago. Those devices are no longer sold or supported by modern cellular network providers in the US.

Today's phone is far more robust than the older phones. Take your pick from the available At&t phones and find one that best suites you needs.

There is no single, best phone in every area. You should check with current users of the same phone your are thinking of, this in an excellent site to post such questions.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    As posted above, I am wondering what would be the best way to get AT&T service in the most remote parts of the United States currently? I do remember bag phones and I even sort of recall something within the last year of someone offering a bag phone that works with the current AT&T bands. If there was a modern day bag phone with an external antenna for the mobile environment, I would consider it.
    Any phones with the newest Qualcomm chips and 4x4 mimo. Samsung and LG are both solid performers.

Sent from my SM-N960U 6GB aka Note 9 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Definitely NOT the iPhones with the Intel radios. The Samsung phones have been very good for several generations now. I haven't seen comparisons of the S9 and S10, but the S7, S8, and S9 each made improvements over the previous generation. Samsung's reception is very good.

That being said, if extreme range/cell edge performance is your top priority, you should have a WeBoost booster in your house or vehicle, as those provide a significant boost in coverage. A lot of truckers and RVers use them to get signals in areas that are several miles from where there is cellular coverage that would work on a phone. Obviously, they won't work if you're 50 miles from cell service, but they can expand it significantly.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    Definitely NOT the iPhones with the Intel radios. The Samsung phones have been very good for several generations now. I haven't seen comparisons of the S9 and S10, but the S7, S8, and S9 each made improvements over the previous generation. Samsung's reception is very good.

That being said, if extreme range/cell edge performance is your top priority, you should have a WeBoost booster in your house or vehicle, as those provide a significant boost in coverage. A lot of truckers and RVers use them to get signals in areas that are several miles from where there is cellular coverage that would work on a phone. Obviously, they won't work if you're 50 miles from cell service, but they can expand it significantly.
    Good advice.

OP, keep in mind those boosters are not cheap, typically more than $100 or much more. Best wishes.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Motorola phones used to be good signal magnets. this was on regular non smartphone clam shell handsets.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Motorola phones used to be good signal magnets. this was on regular non smartphone clam shell handsets.
    Maybe back before they were sold to Lenovo. I love my Moto G7, but the one thing I've noticed is that is doesn't get service in my basement like LG's and Samsungs of the past did. Same carrier and everything. Just different phone.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Good advice.

OP, keep in mind those boosters are not cheap, typically more than $100 or much more. Best wishes.
    Correct. The ones that max out at 50dB and repeat the major T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon bands are $500-$700. They work wonders for those who need them, they're not for your average Joe.

Device(s)
    Samsung SM-N960U, SM-N950U
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    Maybe back before they were sold to Lenovo. I love my Moto G7, but the one thing I've noticed is that is doesn't get service in my basement like LG's and Samsungs of the past did. Same carrier and everything. Just different phone.
    I've read quite a few complaints about that. It's the only reason I don't have a G7 Power right now.

Sent from my SM-N960U using HoFo mobile app
    Sent from a Sonim XP-8

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabefree View Post
    I've read quite a few complaints about that. It's the only reason I don't have a G7 Power right now.
    That's interesting because the Moto G6 has excellent RF capabilities, and Motorola has traditionally been known for having really good RF, but apparently they goofed this one up.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Definitely Samsung or LG (V40) for example. iPhone reception has always been poor. 8plus with Qualcomm is the best (iPhone).

My XSM is HORRIBLE! My S7 Edge is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by JSchnee21 View Post
    Definitely Samsung or LG (V40) for example. iPhone reception has always been poor. 8plus with Qualcomm is the best (iPhone).
    The Qualcomm iPhones from the 4s to the 8+ Qualcomm were very good, although by the 7 they were losing to Android phones that have 4x4 MIMO. The X, even the Qualcomm one, is pretty lousy, and now with the Intel radios they have gone way downhill.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    The Qualcomm iPhones from the 4s to the 8+ Qualcomm were very good, although by the 7 they were losing to Android phones that have 4x4 MIMO. The X, even the Qualcomm one, is pretty lousy, and now with the Intel radios they have gone way downhill.
    Honestly my iPhone XS Max has been pretty good as far as reception goes. I wasn’t an early adopter, and it seems to have improved with each software update. I find edge of cell reception quite good with it. While I am partial to iPhones, I think you guys are being a bit to critical of the intel modems.
    Hartford, CT Area

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs 256 GB Gold (Dual SIM)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Agreed. I don’t have any outstanding issues with my Xs. But I didn’t with my Intel X or 7’s either...

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    AT&T: 2008, 2012-2014, 2016-Present
    T-Mobile: 2011-2012, 2015, 2017-2019
    Verizon: 2010 via Straight Talk for 2 months, 2018
    Sprint: Couldn't pay me to use them

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
    Honestly my iPhone XS Max has been pretty good as far as reception goes. I wasn’t an early adopter, and it seems to have improved with each software update. I find edge of cell reception quite good with it. While I am partial to iPhones, I think you guys are being a bit to critical of the intel modems.
    How does it compare to a Galaxy 9 or 10 series? I'd bet the Galaxies are doing way better reception wise.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast