Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Just bought an Alcatel MyFlip from PP

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    You can turn data off and still have VoLTE. VoLTE does not require data (or the LTE symbol). I never turn data on on my MyFlip. Really no need for it being on unless for an occasional email check, but even then you could use wifi if it's available. It's a basic phone, not meant for surfing.

The phone is CDMA-less. If you don't have VoLTE you can't make calls.

Just turn data off.
    Thanks! This phone will be used by a non-tech-savvy relative -- I want to be sure it'll keep working when 3G goes away.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    The only extreme problem is that the back cover for the battery is impossible to open unless you use a prying tool at two different places along the seam.

A miner problem is that when plugged in for battery charging, NO DISPLAY is seen on the front flip-closed screen. There might be a display for a few brief seconds upon plugging-in, but then it disappears and stays gone.
    LOL, I thought I was the only one who had a hellava time trying to get that back cover off. I made the mistake of putting the battery in and back on to test it out when I first got it. When I went to take the battery out until I was ready to use it, that's when the trouble began. I had to put the phone down and come back later I was getting so frustrated trying to get the back off. It was so bad I went to YouTube to try to find some videos of other people getting their cover off.

I concur, it requires two different lever points in order to pop it off.. unfortunately I left several pry marks where I was jabbing in tiny precision screwdrivers to pop it off. Thankfully, I also got a snap on case for the phone so it hides all the marks. That's the first phone I've ever run into where I can barely get the back cover off. Never experienced that before.

Device(s)
    Treo 650
    Feedback Score
    I bought a "Tracfone Alcatel A405 Flip Prepaid Cell Phone (Refurbished)" from ebay for $10.61 delivered. That includes the taxes. Took four days to arrive; might have been faster if the weekend wasn't in the middle; but who knows. The listing claimed it might take 10 days. The listing didn't mention it, but there was Tracfone sim inserted in it when i got it.

(pro tip, get the sim card # off the phone before you put the battery and back on.)

All appears to be fine.

Question: What's the cheapest way to test this phone?

I don't want to swap out the old phone until I can check that the Alcatel is going to work with the Bluetooth widget I have.

They obviously won't let me switch back if it doesn't.

When I first signed up with page plus, which was an very very long time ago. You got a few minutes for free and then you had to add $. But they don't do that any more. Any suggestions on what a cheap way to test this might be? Pleading my case with the nice person on the other end of the chat didn't work out.

Feedback Score
    I know nothing about how blue tooth works but do you even need the phone to be activated unless whatever blue tooth device you want to pair to the Flip is for voice or data. (?) The best I know is Bluetooth just uses the native radios to communicate not a cell signal. You could even use the phone unactivated for wifi and test that way if it's a data device you're pairing to. I don't know what you mean by Bluetooth widget since I know nothing.
    Or just spend $10 for the cheap PayGo plan.
    Last edited by rpz1; 03-11-2020 at 11:52 PM.

Device(s)
    Treo 650
    Feedback Score
    Question: What's the cheapest way to test this phone?
    Thanks for the suggestions so far.

$10 card and activate it is the lowest cost option so far.

If you happen to have another phone with a Tracfone family sim in it you can borrow that would be good, but I don't.

FYI, yes can test lots without an activated SIM in the phone:use the wifi, browse available phone networks, wifi, "browse" the web, pair the bluetooth, etc.

If your wondering what bluetooth kit I'm worried about, well I wrote about my setup years ago. I use pageplus and a XLink bluetooth bridge to eliminate my land line. Gosh that's worked out well.

Feedback Score
    I know this thread is a little old, but you guys are on the exact topic I need! I'm thinking of getting the Alcatel Myflip for my MIL, and wondered how this works with the $10 pay-as-you-go Page Plus plan? That's the one you top up once every 4 months. Someone had mentioned you have to leave data on in order to make calls with this -- does that use up some of the money/talk-time on your account? Is it ok to leave the data on all the time without draining your funds? Thanks for any help!

Also, it looks like this requires a sim card, is that correct? I have my own mother on this page plus plan, but it's with a very old Verizon prepaid flip phone (back before data was an option), and that doesn't have a sim at all.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pippypoppy View Post
    I know this thread is a little old, but you guys are on the exact topic I need! I'm thinking of getting the Alcatel Myflip for my MIL, and wondered how this works with the $10 pay-as-you-go Page Plus plan? That's the one you top up once every 4 months. Someone had mentioned you have to leave data on in order to make calls with this -- does that use up some of the money/talk-time on your account? Is it ok to leave the data on all the time without draining your funds? Thanks for any help!

Also, it looks like this requires a sim card, is that correct? I have my own mother on this page plus plan, but it's with a very old Verizon prepaid flip phone (back before data was an option), and that doesn't have a sim at all.
    PayGo works the same as the 3G PayGo. There's also higher $ plans for the same 120 days. Charge off at 6 cents min.
    You DO NOT need to have data on. I don't leave data on. Really no need to unless you need it for web, but wifi works great if you're around it.
    VoLTE does not use data, just charges off at the voice minute rate.

The sim will come with the phone. You can buy a TF(vzw) MyFlip at many local stores and activate it on PP with the sim that comes in it. No need to get a PP phone or sim. TF(vzw) or sister company (vzw) phones = PP phones.

Once activated it'll be just like your moms old flip on PayGo. Just with data or wifi if you need it. These phones aren't really meant to surf the web even though you can if you're not in a hurry. Text/web inputs are T9, not touch screen. And really no useful apps.

TF just released a similar one called the Classic Flip. Better contact list and some other bells and whistles, and better battery time. Cost about $40 I believe. See a thread under Tracfone.https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...L-Quick-Review

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    PayGo works the same as the 3G PayGo. There's also higher $ plans for the same 120 days. Charge off at 6 cents min.
    You DO NOT need to have data on. I don't leave data on. Really no need to unless you need it for web, but wifi works great if you're around it.
    VoLTE does not use data, just charges off at the voice minute rate.

...]
    Wonderful information! Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Looking over phones for my MIL made me realize I may need to get the MyFlip for my mom, too, as the phone she's using for PagePlus is 3g only (bought in 2006), and it might not work when Verizon shuts down 3g. Sounds like this phone is the ticket for both of these tech-averse ladies. I'll look into how to swap her account to the new phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    I'm not seeing this Alcatel My Flip on the PP website. Did they sell out? I will eventually need to replace the 3G phone I'm using for an office line for voice-only calls and I was hoping to buy one of those. I guess I should have purchased it when it was still available.
    The MyFlip is available from sellers like Walmart and Best buy. Get a Tracfone branded one. Do NOT get a Simple Mobile one.

Feedback Score
    Looking over phones for my MIL made me realize I may need to get the MyFlip for my mom, too, as the phone she's using for PagePlus is 3g only (bought in 2006), and it might not work when Verizon shuts down 3g.
    Old 3G phones will definitely not work when Verizon shuts down CDMA later in the year. Neither will some 4G LTE phones without VoLTE.

There is a discussion about the new LG Classic Flip here:
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...L-Quick-Review

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Old 3G phones will definitely not work when Verizon shuts down CDMA later in the year. Neither will some 4G LTE phones without VoLTE.

There is a discussion about the new LG Classic Flip here:
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...L-Quick-Review
    Both my mom and mil just need a basic phone for making calls in an emergency. They won't use any feature but making calls (and they'll dial the number each time -- even accessing the list of contacts is advanced for them). So I think the MyFlip should be fine? I'm definitely getting something that will work with Page Plus for my mother as she's already on Page Plus and needs a 4g phone. For my MIL it will be a new account, so I'm going between this and H2o for her -- you get more minutes for your money on h2o, and both work similarly well where she lives (for my mom, verizon works dramatically better).

I'm thinking either the Myflip for my MIL with page plus, or else the Alcatel Smartflip for her if I do H2O.

Feedback Score
    I'm thinking either the Myflip for my MIL with page plus, or else the Alcatel Smartflip for her if I do H2O.
    The AT&T Smartflip is an advanced version of the Alcatel Flip series. Has Google Assistant, which allows some things to be done with voice command.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3