Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Dish Seeks a Favor From FCC for Role in T-Mobile-Sprint Deal

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Redondo Beach, California
    Posts
    387
    Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus 64GB and iPhone XS Max 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

    Dish Seeks a Favor From FCC for Role in T-Mobile-Sprint Deal

    Manners cost nothing, and also have the added benefit of making a man. You know, it is entirely possible to rise above others, without stooping to pushing them under, and putting them down.
    My Sister is a supervisor at T-Mobile's Salem Oregon Call center. Loyal T-Mobile customer of 15 Years.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,423
    Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I honestly never thought about Dish making this a cash less deal by trading spectrum for Boost but that seems a bit off given that Tmobile has to also divest spectrum - Is that just me or do others see it that way also?

    It certainly takes the cash crunch aspect of this for Dish away.

    How much spectrum is $6 billions worth?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,045
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by trees12 View Post
    If this merger fails it has been said and likely true that Sprint will end up doing something with a cable company. Part of me wants to see Sprint and dish happen more than TMO and Sprint, even tho I know TMO and Sprint could do one hell of a good 5G network together, Tho maybe so could dish and Sprint. If dish and Sprint would happen instead dish could use their spectrum on the Sprint network.

    Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,263
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I would rather see the merger fail than let that Spectrum horder Charlie Ergen get a win out of this to continue to hoard his spectrum. Let Sprint fail and go bankrupt and then with the market flooded with Sprint's spectrum. That discounts Dish Network's spectrum value when the FCC takes away that Spectrum. The only two things that T-Mobile is giving up $26 Billion is stock for is Sprint customers and their spectrum. With Sprint dying and the banks taking their spectrum plus the FCC taking away a lot Dish's spectrum their will be more than enough spectrum for T-Mobile to buy. Sprint's customer will have to go somewhere and that is unlikely to AT&T or Verizon.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,263
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    If this merger fails it has been said and likely true that Sprint will end up doing something with a cable company. Part of me wants to see Sprint and dish happen more than TMO and Sprint, even tho I know TMO and Sprint could do one hell of a good 5G network together, Tho maybe so could dish and Sprint. If dish and Sprint would happen instead dish could use their spectrum on the Sprint network.

    Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    Why would a cable company that are all regional business want with Sprint's $59 Billion debt? Sprint's entire Stock Market Cap is just $30 Billion that anyone that owns Sprint would have to take on that $59 Billion debt. Anyone that buys Sprint would also have to buy low band spectrum and spend tens of billion to fix their network before they spend tens of billion more for moving to 5G NR technology. DISH Network doesn't have that type of money. Both Comcast and Charter already have a working WiFi Network where they have cell phone customer that handles according to them 80% of their cell customer needs and have Verizon for roaming for the other 20% the time when their customers need service.

    Sprint is worth more to anyone other than Softbank in a Bankruptcy sale of their assets. After Sprint stockholder and banks take a $59 billion dollar bath then the Cable companies and everyone else will pick up the spectrum for half what Sprint is asking for now in $26 Billion in stock.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,102
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Why would a cable company that are all regional business want with Sprint's $59 Billion debt? Sprint's entire Stock Market Cap is just $30 Billion that anyone that owns Sprint would have to take on that $59 Billion debt. Anyone that buys Sprint would also have to buy low band spectrum and spend tens of billion to fix their network before they spend tens of billion more for moving to 5G NR technology. DISH Network doesn't have that type of money. Both Comcast and Charter already have a working WiFi Network where they have cell phone customer that handles according to them 80% of their cell customer needs and have Verizon for roaming for the other 20% the time when their customers need service.

    Sprint is worth more to anyone other than Softbank in a Bankruptcy sale of their assets. After Sprint stockholder and banks take a $59 billion dollar bath then the Cable companies and everyone else will pick up the spectrum for half what Sprint is asking for now in $26 Billion in stock.
    If Comcast and charter went in together and bought Sprint while that would definitely cover the majority of the population I doubt it would geographically and I still would not consider that a national carrier. Comcast would have an advantage of also having some 600 MHz in most of not all it's markets though.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,263
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    If Comcast and charter went in together and bought Sprint while that would definitely cover the majority of the population I doubt it would geographically and I still would not consider that a national carrier. Comcast would have an advantage of also having some 600 MHz in most of not all it's markets though.
    I don't think the DOJ would let the #1 Cable provider Comcast and #2 Charter to merge. Without a merger both Comcast and Charter would be in competition with their separately owned cable ISP service regionally and the National Wireless ISP service they shared via Sprint.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    15,430
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    They don't have to merge. Just form a not-for-profit coverage subsidiary.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    292
    Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    I honestly never thought about Dish making this a cash less deal by trading spectrum for Boost but that seems a bit off given that Tmobile has to also divest spectrum - Is that just me or do others see it that way also?
    Right. It's absolutely bizarre and makes no sense. If T-Mobile go Sprint they would be swimming in spectrum that they don't need, so giving them more spectrum to host DISH's network, which is what it sounds like they are proposing is even more loony, as it would give DISH an equal footprint to T-Mobile.

    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Why would a cable company that are all regional business want with Sprint's $59 Billion debt?
    It actually makes a lot of sense if Comcast, Charter, Altice, and possibly Cox go in together, since those combined cover most of the populated areas of the US. Backhaul would be basically free, and they could put up strand-mount small cells basically anywhere they need them and then thin out the macro network a bit to cut costs. For areas that don't have cable, those companies are all experts as building out fiber, or they could microwave to a nearby area with cable footprint so they could do most of their own backhaul.

    Anyone that buys Sprint would also have to buy low band spectrum and spend tens of billion to fix their network before they spend tens of billion more for moving to 5G NR technology. DISH Network doesn't have that type of money. Both Comcast and Charter already have a working WiFi Network where they have cell phone customer that handles according to them 80% of their cell customer needs and have Verizon for roaming for the other 20% the time when their customers need service.
    Having a single 5x5 of B26 plus the 5x5 of B71 that Comcast has in some of it's markets isn't exactly ideal, but the cable companies could make it work by relying heavily on strand-mount small cells to do 5G on B41. They could also put microcells into their home gateways with 10G cable and have basically ubiquitous coverage within their MSO footprints. B26/B25 would be fine for steel in the air towers to cover highways and areas outside of cable's footprint.

    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    I don't think the DOJ would let the #1 Cable provider Comcast and #2 Charter to merge. Without a merger both Comcast and Charter would be in competition with their separately owned cable ISP service regionally and the National Wireless ISP service they shared via Sprint.
    No one was proposing that. Like Jack said, Charter and Comcast could go in on Sprint together (likely with Altice, possibly with Cox as well).

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 49
    Last Post: 11-19-2018, 09:44 PM
  2. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-28-2013, 01:37 PM
  3. Unlock iPhone 4S (from Canada) for use in India
    By joejoe66 in forum iOS Jailbreaking and Unlocking
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-01-2013, 06:40 PM
  4. Sprint asks US FCC for delay in vacating spectrum
    By @TheRealDanny in forum Sprint
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-20-2008, 12:05 PM
  5. Best mp3 phone from HongKong for use in US
    By yelrx8 in forum Phone Battle and Comparison
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-23-2006, 08:08 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks