Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Google Voice vs VoLTE

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Google Voice vs VoLTE

Due to the various carriers planning to shutdown their 2G and 3G networks over the next few years, I have been doing some reading on VoLTE - because apparently you will need to have a phone with VoLTE once those networks are gone.

For example, Verizon now requires VoLTE on all phones that new customers want to activate on their network, because at the end of 2019, they will shutdown all of their 2G and 3G networks.

However, in one of the threads here, someone's comment reminded me about Google Voice - which I already use for calls from my phone when I have WiFi.

That leads me to the question:

Wouldn't a VOIP calling app work just as well as VoLTE, when one has a 4GLTE signal ?

Making a call on a smartphone requires a calling app, either the generic "Phone" App or some installed app, and no matter the transmission method, it looks pretty much the same to users.

So why bother with VoLTE at all ? I cannot see any use it for it - except for basic/dumb/flip phones.

Am I missing something ? Thanks.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dude View Post
    Due to the various carriers planning to shutdown their 2G and 3G networks over the next few years, I have been doing some reading on VoLTE - because apparently you will need to have a phone with VoLTE once those networks are gone.

For example, Verizon now requires VoLTE on all phones that new customers want to activate on their network, because at the end of 2019, they will shutdown all of their 2G and 3G networks.

However, in one of the threads here, someone's comment reminded me about Google Voice - which I already use for calls from my phone when I have WiFi.

Wouldn't a VOIP calling app work just as well as VoLTE, when one has a 4GLTE signal ?

Making a call on a smartphone requires a calling app, either the generic "Phone" App or some installed app, and no matter the transmission method, it looks pretty much the same to users.

So why bother with VoLTE at all ? I cannot see any use it for it - except for basic/dumb/flip phones.

Experience completely different.... when your data is slow or crap so will your calls. Volte won’t be. Congested areas, low data speed areas, low signal areas, your gonna have a bad time with voip compared to volte.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Does VOIP require much data? Seems like significantly less than, say, Spotify...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Does VOIP require much data? Seems like significantly less than, say, Spotify...
    It does not. But in a low signal area your gonna worry about ping and jitter.

It’s not pleasant. And totally useless.

Now if you live in a big city and never leave and always have perfect signal then it’ll prob be fine. But otherwise no.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    FYI, the following page calculates 0.50-0.75 MB per minute:

https://www.lifewire.com/megabytes-f...ations-3426705

So, VoLTE gets around the ping/jitter issue you are describing ?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    FYI, the following page calculates 0.50-0.75 MB per minute:

https://www.lifewire.com/megabytes-f...ations-3426705

So, VoLTE gets around the ping/jitter issue you are describing ?
    Yes. I’m not into the tech when it comes to that over volte. But do know having a bad quality data connection voip is useless

Volte will operate like a normal phone call.

Like in a fringe area a normal call is going to work leaps and bounds over voip

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Basically both are data, but the Quality of Service (QoS) priority for VoLTE will give it the edge. Yes, GV can be very good when in data mode (using LTE or Wi-Fi), but if the signal is weaker or the cell is congested, you'll not have an ideal experience.

All that said, I use it quite often as my personal cell is a number nobody has, and I'd been playing with Freedompop (and before that RingPlus) for shoots-and-giggles on extra devices. For me it worked fine 95% of the time -- I live in a suburb of NYC, and generally have a very good signal in most places. But there are a few spots where the signal drops and the VoLTE would have held on better, but GV doesn't.

GV is an over-the-top VOIP implementation whereas VoLTE is part of the infrastructure (and gets high priority and the error correction algorithms work better for that reason)

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8820 (WiFi/UMA/GPS)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile w/ [email protected]
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    VoIP is better overall but with that you're gonna pay for it. Both in the phone you have to choose & the network/traditional plans. And its a headache to work out which phone supports what & where. Google "does VoIP work" and see the mounds of muck you'll have to work out for an example.

For me, I much prefer G Voice even with the drawbacks. It works on any device & all you need is data, so that opens you up to way more options & very little cost. I run a data only plan with mine & don't even have a traditional plan with a phone number.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    VoIP is better overall but with that you're gonna pay for it. Both in the phone you have to choose & the network/traditional plans. And its a headache to work out which phone supports what & where. Google "does VoIP work" and see the mounds of muck you'll have to work out for an example.

For me, I much prefer G Voice even with the drawbacks. It works on any device & all you need is data, so that opens you up to way more options & very little cost. I run a data only plan with mine & don't even have a traditional plan with a phone number.
    Any phone that's worth anything already has volte, even $20 T-Mobile mvno phones from 2013 had it.
    By the way *VoIP is better overall* ?

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Well one is an app with no telecommunication standards or priorities and the other is an actual prioritized voice communication channel with the engineering to support it.
    For instance, your LTE signal has no idea you're on a VoIP phone call, think about it..

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Google Voice vs VoLTE

You may want to summon the CEOs and engineers at the major carriers and tell them your idea, lol.. seriously VoIP and volte share nothing in common besides a data signal,
    Volte is superior in every way, especially in clarity and reliability, pretty important . Not a dig at Google per se but every VoIP app I've experimented with has fallen flat on its face in the real world. Just imagine driving around on VoIP with no cellular handoff (because it's not cellular, it's just a generic data signal), embrace it, it's really good.. circuit switched voice is dead!

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app[/QUOTE]

Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FreeUp, FreedomPop US & MX, Toggle UK, Piranha, Netzclub DE, Simyo ES, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Google Voice / VoIP has the advantage that it works on any smartphone (yes, even an old Windows phone with some workarounds) as long as you have a semi-decent data connection, regardless of that device's supported features, including whether that device supports Wi-Fi calling with that carrier, which is an important point left out of this discussion so far. While VoLTE may have the advantage when you're out and about in an area with low signal or high congestion, GV/VoIP has the advantage indoors in an area with no signal at all (e.g. a basement) over a device that doesn't support Wi-Fi calling with the carrier.

If you're a long-haul semi driver, you probably want VoLTE. If you're frequently around Wi-Fi, GV/VoIP is far more economical, both in terms of flexibility with plans and devices. As someone in the latter camp, I use GV as my primary US service and focus on cheap data offerings for basic use when away from Wi-Fi. If someone calls me on my GV# when I'm out and about (and I actually answer), and it's clear the conversation won't be short, I simply do a "let me call you back later" (when I'm on Wi-Fi).

Also factoring in the increased reliance on messaging apps (which also allow calling) and I personally don't even think about whether a phone supports VoLTE. BUT... I don't drive a semi and don't talk on the phone much.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by djphilosophy View Post
    Google Voice / VoIP has the advantage that it works on any smartphone (yes, even an old Windows phone with some workarounds) as long as you have a semi-decent data connection, regardless of that device's supported features, including whether that device supports Wi-Fi calling with that carrier, which is an important point left out of this discussion so far. While VoLTE may have the advantage when you're out and about in an area with low signal or high congestion, GV/VoIP has the advantage indoors in an area with no signal at all (e.g. a basement) over a device that doesn't support Wi-Fi calling with the carrier.

If you're a long-haul semi driver, you probably want VoLTE. If you're frequently around Wi-Fi, GV/VoIP is far more economical, both in terms of flexibility with plans and devices. As someone in the latter camp, I use GV as my primary US service and focus on cheap data offerings for basic use when away from Wi-Fi. If someone calls me on my GV# when I'm out and about (and I actually answer), and it's clear the conversation won't be short, I simply do a "let me call you back later" (when I'm on Wi-Fi).

Also factoring in the increased reliance on messaging apps (which also allow calling) and I personally don't even think about whether a phone supports VoLTE. BUT... I don't drive a semi and don't talk on the phone much.
    Why are you guys so adverse to a volte/WiFi calling phones, heck my $40 simple mobile phone had both in 2014. Seems the only way to make VoIP sound remotely modern is to mention phones that don't have volte/WiFi calling, have you ever used a phone that has both? It's beautiful, because it just works, no *workarounds*.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by djphilosophy View Post

At that point what's the point of cellular phone?

Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FreeUp, FreedomPop US & MX, Toggle UK, Piranha, Netzclub DE, Simyo ES, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    Oh my God people what phone made in the last year, let alone 5 isn't volte enable, I swear prepaid people complain about a penny yet get the benefits of what postpaid customers are paying and they whine about having to get a new phone to support it, volte is the future, embrace it.. circuit switched voice and VoIP aren't.

I'll counter by suggesting that carrier-tied voice and messaging is the past. Phone numbers are the past, though we'll keep them around for awhile because they've become so tied to one's identity (i.e. try opening a bank account without a phone number).

For quite awhile now, certainly with the ubiquity of LTE, all we've really needed from the mobile network provider is a good data connection -- and as we all have experienced, they can't even give us that everywhere we go. The carriers will do everything they can do make you think otherwise because it completely ****s up their business model of pushing plans bundled with unlimited minutes.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast