Thread: A reasonably priced 2G/3G unlimited plan?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

A reasonably priced 2G/3G unlimited plan?

I have a few IoT devices (temp monitors, low-resolution IP cameras, etc) that I'd like to connect up with an unlimited 2G or 3G connection.. do places even stock these anymore? These would go in IoT chips that likely show up as some kind of GSM hotspot.

In an ideal world I'd find something less than $7-10/month for unlimited 3G, even 1 Mbps is good enough. I don't care all that much about deprioritasion, as long as it can maintain ~256kbps at any time.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Truphone, Toggle, Netzclub DE, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Use prepaidcompare.net, select "Unlim slow data" and uncheck Sprint and Verizon. The cheapest option is Unreal Mobile at $6.66/month for 1GB data, but if you click on the entry, you'll see that data over 1GB is throttled to 64 kbps. You'll have the same problem with more expensive options, e.g. T-Mobile at $10/month for 2GB, though in that case it's throttled to 128 kbps.

Assuming these devices don't support LTE, you should keep in mind that on T-Mobile they'll run on 2G/EDGE since T-Mobile has mostly shut off 3G service, in which case the device may struggle to maintain 256 kbps download, and you'd be lucky to get 50 kbps upload even with full bars (needed for the IP camera, I assume).

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I might be able to find some chips that support 4G but maybe not US band LTE...

Unfortunately freedompop/unreal was the first thing I looked at, and they do this thing where they proxy all traffic through a central server in the middle of the US, causing massive latency, and they also modify/tamper with requests going through their network.

I will take a look at prepaidcompare, thanks.