Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Phone choice -- S8, Moto G7, or ???

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post
    LOL.... I'm using it right now and it works perfectly on T-Mobile (MetroPCS). Full LTE speed, no issues. Actually a LOT better than my previous phone on MetroPCS which I bought at a Metro store! There ARE people using it on Sprint and even Verizon. "Won't work well on any US carrier", don't make me laugh. Maybe you could do a YouTube search to find out about the happy people using this phone. Is it missing a few bands on some of the carriers, yes... but honestly nothing that prevents full LTE speed. On some of those carriers they haven't even fully implemented some of those bands yet.

Best $180 I've spent on a phone.

If those bands are very important to you... then definitely get a different phone. Guess what? I've been on Tmo/Metro for almost 5 years and I've never used or needed band 71 or 66.... not even once. Will I need those or enjoy them in the future? When Tmo expands their coverage and I feel my phone isn't cutting it... I'll upgrade again.

Sent from my F1 using HoFo mobile app
    That phone is not on Sprints blacklist compatible. It WILL not work on Sprint in any way shape or form. Your going to have to show proof because I guarantee you no one is using this phone on Sprint. Sprint doesnt allow any phone to work on its network. Hell the one plus 7 is Sprint compatible with LTE but not CDMA and for that Sprint will not allow it to activate and work.

Sent from my SM-G977P using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by terrell352 View Post
    That phone is not on Sprints blacklist compatible. It WILL not work on Sprint in any way shape or form. Your going to have to show proof because I guarantee you no one is using this phone on Sprint. Sprint doesnt allow any phone to work on its network. Hell the one plus 7 is Sprint compatible with LTE but not CDMA and for that Sprint will not allow it to activate and work.

You may be correct about it not being allowed on the Sprint network. Was the OP looking for a phone to use ONLY on Sprint? They don't allow you to add BYOP models to their database by calling?

There are definitely people using the phone on Tmo, AT&T and Verizon. But, you may be right about Sprint. It might work, but they may not allow it.

Edit:

I see that the OP was specifically asking for a Sprint based/capable phone. I didn't initially see that. Yes, there are better choice for the Sprint network. A shame they're so strict about BYOP.

Feedback Score
    You may be correct about it not being allowed on the Sprint network. Was the OP looking for a phone to use ONLY on Sprint? They don't allow you to add BYOP models to their database by calling?

There are definitely people using the phone on Tmo, AT&T and Verizon. But, you may be right about Sprint. It might work, but they may not allow it.

Yeah that phone will work on Verizon but it wont work with Verizons 3G cdma. Its treated as a LTE only phone but it works. The other two carriers are GSM so no issues there. Although you will lose out on peak LTE speeds and possibly coverage gains since some important bands are missing but it will still work.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Due to the possibility of T-Sprint happening, as well as T-Mobile roaming if it doesn't, you want a phone that's fully banded for Sprint and T-Mobile.

The Galaxy S8 doesn't have B71, so that's a bad choice, they didn't add it until, I believe, the S8 Active. Even though it has CDMA BC10, The G7 does not have B71 or B41 HPUE, so that's out.

The G7 Power and G7 Play are good choices, both are fully banded for T-Sprint. Those two are pretty much universal. The G7 Power and G7 Play also have B41 HPUE and CDMA BC10 for Sprint.

I have a G6 on Sprint, and it's pretty awful. I'm not sure if it's due to lacking HPUE, or just due to Sprint's network, but it's a toy so I don't care that much. It does have CDMA BC10, which has pretty awesome coverage in a lot of spots where LTE is long gone, even on B26.

I totally recommend this phone as a great choice for MetroPCS/Tmo.
    Like I said, I wouldn't tell everyone who already has a phone without B71 to run out a buy a new one tomorrow, but to recommend a phone without it on T-Mobile is just plain stupid, since everyone knows that T-Mobile is rolling out B71 quickly, and is adding a LOT of coverage with it.

But, if you're in an area where you absolutely need band 71 or 66 then yes...think twice. Apparently I don't need them, my service is outstanding. I'd actually be shocked to find anyone at this point having issues or bad service with the Tmo network just because they don't have 71 or 66. To suggest THAT is idiotic.
    The simple FACT of the matter is that buying a phone without B71 today means that you have LESS coverage than a properly equipped phone. It is also a FACT that over the life of that device, as the repack progresses, T-Mobile is going to roll out a LOT more B71 coverage, covering most of the CONUS.

I haven't tried this phone on Sprint or AT&T but I know people who have. Ummm, it works just fine.
    Not on Sprint, since we've confirmed it doesn't work on Sprint at all. Sure, you can put an AT&T SIM in it, but it's going to have slow data and severe congestion in some markets.

AT&T and Tmo speed tests...
    And what is the point of that? That proves literally NOTHING. Take it down it down into Little Italy or some other congested cluster**** of an area on AT&T's network and watch it have no data while a phone that is properly equipped to actually be on AT&T's network is pulling double-digit speeds. There's tons of markets where they have tons of B2/4/5/12, and there are some where they don't. NYC is one of the few markets where they have no B4 at all, and they are heavily reliant on B30 and now B66 and B14, since they just didn't have much spectrum before they acquired that spectrum.

I completely understand your opinions and concerns and why you have them (they're not completely unfounded). But, I think it's preposterous for you to think you can actually tell me not to recommend this phone when I actually OWN and USE the phone and I'm very, very happy with it. $180, tons of amazing features (NFC, 5150mAh battery, full HD display, dual SIM/Dual VoLTE, etc). In my opinion it's the best budget phone of the year and works amazingly well.
    You're WRONG. It's a very poor choice for use in the US. It doesn't work on Sprint, it's missing a lot of coverage on T-Mobile, it has serious capacity and coverage issues on AT&T, and it's missing some capacity on Verizon where it's needed most.

I think it's idiotic for you NOT to recommend this phone. Again, thank goodness someone recommended it to me.
    No one in good conscience who knows anything about how LTE works in the US could recommend this phone to anyone on T-Mobile, AT&T, or Verizon, and it doesn't work at all on Sprint.

Quote Originally Posted by terrell352 View Post
    Thanks for clarifying that. Sprint can't have LTE-only phones on it's network. Even if their VoLTE was rolled out widely, the network just isn't set up for it yet. It drops to 3G all the time, even in areas with LTE.

There ARE people using it on Sprint and even Verizon.
    You obviously don't know what the heck you're talking about.

I see that the OP was specifically asking for a Sprint based/capable phone. I didn't initially see that. Yes, there are better choice for the Sprint network. A shame they're so strict about BYOP.
    That POS wouldn't work on Sprint even if they let it on their network, it doesn't have CDMA BC10.

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    Due to the possibility of T-Sprint happening, as well as T-Mobile roaming if it doesn't, you want a phone that's fully banded for Sprint and T-Mobile.

The Galaxy S8 doesn't have B71, so that's a bad choice, they didn't add it until, I believe, the S8 Active. Even though it has CDMA BC10, The G7 does not have B71 or B41 HPUE, so that's out.

The G7 Power and G7 Play are good choices, both are fully banded for T-Sprint. Those two are pretty much universal. The G7 Power and G7 Play also have B41 HPUE and CDMA BC10 for Sprint.

I have a G6 on Sprint, and it's pretty awful. I'm not sure if it's due to lacking HPUE, or just due to Sprint's network, but it's a toy so I don't care that much. It does have CDMA BC10, which has pretty awesome coverage in a lot of spots where LTE is long gone, even on B26.

Like I said, I wouldn't tell everyone who already has a phone without B71 to run out a buy a new one tomorrow, but to recommend a phone without it on T-Mobile is just plain stupid, since everyone knows that T-Mobile is rolling out B71 quickly, and is adding a LOT of coverage with it.

The simple FACT of the matter is that buying a phone without B71 today means that you have LESS coverage than a properly equipped phone. It is also a FACT that over the life of that device, as the repack progresses, T-Mobile is going to roll out a LOT more B71 coverage, covering most of the CONUS.

Not on Sprint, since we've confirmed it doesn't work on Sprint at all. Sure, you can put an AT&T SIM in it, but it's going to have slow data and severe congestion in some markets.

And what is the point of that? That proves literally NOTHING. Take it down it down into Little Italy or some other congested cluster**** of an area on AT&T's network and watch it have no data while a phone that is properly equipped to actually be on AT&T's network is pulling double-digit speeds. There's tons of markets where they have tons of B2/4/5/12, and there are some where they don't. NYC is one of the few markets where they have no B4 at all, and they are heavily reliant on B30 and now B66 and B14, since they just didn't have much spectrum before they acquired that spectrum.

You're WRONG. It's a very poor choice for use in the US. It doesn't work on Sprint, it's missing a lot of coverage on T-Mobile, it has serious capacity and coverage issues on AT&T, and it's missing some capacity on Verizon where it's needed most.

No one in good conscience who knows anything about how LTE works in the US could recommend this phone to anyone on T-Mobile, AT&T, or Verizon, and it doesn't work at all on Sprint.

Thanks for clarifying that. Sprint can't have LTE-only phones on it's network. Even if their VoLTE was rolled out widely, the network just isn't set up for it yet. It drops to 3G all the time, even in areas with LTE.

You obviously don't know what the heck you're talking about.

That POS wouldn't work on Sprint even if they let it on their network, it doesn't have CDMA BC10.
    Wow. Only a sad individual would go out of his way to tell a person that their choice was a bad one... when that person is incredibly happy with their choice. The phone performs fantastically and I couldn't be happier. Those are the FACTS. I'm recommending it to others (as it was recommend to me) because it's a great bargain and performs just as I need it to. You're welcome to your somewhat obnoxious opinion, but it's not an opinion that I or others who are happily using the phone share.

Yes, I fully admit I appear to have been wrong about activating it on Sprint. I wasn't aware they don't allow some phones on their network. I'll gladly admit when I'm wrong. About everything else... I stand by my statements.

My choice was between the Moto G7 power and the Umidigi F1 play (on the Tmo network). I chose the F1 and it was definitely the RIGHT choice. Larger capacity battery, better display, NFC, etc. Plus full LTE everywhere that I need it.

Cheers mate Try relaxing a little.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Wow. Only a sad individual would go out of his way to tell a person that their choice was a bad one... when that person is incredibly happy with their choice. The phone performs fantastically and I couldn't be happier. Those are the FACTS. I'm recommending it to others (as it was recommend to me) because it's a great bargain and performs just as I need it to. You're welcome to your somewhat obnoxious opinion, but it's not an opinion that I or others who are happily using the phone share.
    A sad individual points out FACTS when you are making asinine statements like recommending a phone without B71 on T-Mobile in the year 2019? It's not a bargain, it's a CHEAP piece of junk that's ill-suited to the US market. I don't care how great the screen or battery or whatever is, if it doesn't work well on the three US networks it even works with, then it's not a good phone for this market.

Yes, I fully admit I appear to have been wrong about activating it on Sprint. I wasn't aware they don't allow some phones on their network. I'll gladly admit when I'm wrong. About everything else... I stand by my statements.
    And apparently you didn't read the specs in the first place anyway, since it doesn't have Sprint's critical CDMA BC10 band.

The bottom line is that Umidigi POS phone is not suited for use on any US carrier. Yes, it will have varying levels of partial compatibility with T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon, but it will not work fully on any of them.

My choice was between the Moto G7 power and the Umidigi F1 play (on the Tmo network). I chose the F1 and it was definitely the RIGHT choice. Larger capacity battery, better display, NFC, etc.
    TERRIBLE choice. You'll have to replace it soon when you realize that you're missing out on T-Mobile's huge coverage expansion with B71. As they roll out B71 to more and more markets, you'll be missing out more and more.

Plus full LTE everywhere that I need it.
    It literally doesn't work on a sizable and growing part of T-Mobile's network footprint. It also may or may not get USCC roaming depending on how that whole thing worked out with unbranded devices on T-Mobile's network. So potentially a double whammy.

Cheers mate Try relaxing a little.
    I'm not just going to stop correcting the idiotic advice you're giving out here.

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    A sad individual points out FACTS when you are making asinine statements like recommending a phone without B71 on T-Mobile in the year 2019? It's not a bargain, it's a CHEAP piece of junk that's ill-suited to the US market. I don't care how great the screen or battery or whatever is, if it doesn't work well on the three US networks it even works with, then it's not a good phone for this market.

And apparently you didn't read the specs in the first place anyway, since it doesn't have Sprint's critical CDMA BC10 band.

The bottom line is that Umidigi POS phone is not suited for use on any US carrier. Yes, it will have varying levels of partial compatibility with T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon, but it will not work fully on any of them.

TERRIBLE choice. You'll have to replace it soon when you realize that you're missing out on T-Mobile's huge coverage expansion with B71. As they roll out B71 to more and more markets, you'll be missing out more and more.

It literally doesn't work on a sizable and growing part of T-Mobile's network footprint. It also may or may not get USCC roaming depending on how that whole thing worked out with unbranded devices on T-Mobile's network. So potentially a double whammy.

I'm not just going to stop correcting the idiotic advice you're giving out here.
    Thanks so much for your amazing brilliance. I just threw my phone out because of your wonderful advice. LOL.

Have a nice life dude.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    This sounds like a phone that can be usable for the person who knows what they are getting into. And if they are in a market where the bands it supports aren't congested. But if they travel, or even go into larger buildings, they can't just necessarily blame the carrier if they don't get service since there is a good chance that the lack of coverage is due to limitations in the phone.

But not for the Sprint network.

I, myself, now have 2 ideas on phones. For my main phone, I want the best possible coverage. So my next phone will support all 4 carriers and available US bands (my last 1 is nearly 2 years ago, so is missing B14 and B71 at least).

I'm more flexible if I buy an inexpensive backup line phone. Then, I'm more interested in how it works on the carrier it will be used on. But then I'm not willing to spend as much as $200. A phone with the specs of this phone is more of a backup phone, usable if I lose/break my main phone, until I replace my main phone.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    This sounds like a phone that can be usable for the person who knows what they are getting into. And if they are in a market where the bands it supports aren't congested. But if they travel, or even go into larger buildings, they can't just necessarily blame the carrier if they don't get service since there is a good chance that the lack of coverage is due to limitations in the phone.
    The problem is, you don't know where you're going to be, or what bands are going to be deployed where, so the rational thing to do is to get a phone that's fully banded for your carrier of choice.

I, myself, now have 2 ideas on phones. For my main phone, I want the best possible coverage. So my next phone will support all 4 carriers and available US bands (my last 1 is nearly 2 years ago, so is missing B14 and B71 at least).
    We're getting ever closer with AT&T starting to support VoLTE and VoWiFi on unbranded devices, but phone nirvana is still elusive. There is still the USCC roaming issue on T-Mobile, and I'm not sure if Verizon ever allowed VoWiFi on unbranded devices.

I'm more flexible if I buy an inexpensive backup line phone. Then, I'm more interested in how it works on the carrier it will be used on. But then I'm not willing to spend as much as $200. A phone with the specs of this phone is more of a backup phone, usable if I lose/break my main phone, until I replace my main phone.
    At that point, you could use an old phone though. Unless you want a secondary line on a prepaid carrier that your old phone doesn't support, and then your requirements may not be so strict depending on the carrier. Still, the Moto G line, and the Pixel 3a are much better secondary phones than this Umidigi piece of junk.

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The problem is, you don't know where you're going to be, or what bands are going to be deployed where, so the rational thing to do is to get a phone that's fully banded for your carrier of choice.

We're getting ever closer with AT&T starting to support VoLTE and VoWiFi on unbranded devices, but phone nirvana is still elusive. There is still the USCC roaming issue on T-Mobile, and I'm not sure if Verizon ever allowed VoWiFi on unbranded devices.

At that point, you could use an old phone though. Unless you want a secondary line on a prepaid carrier that your old phone doesn't support, and then your requirements may not be so strict depending on the carrier. Still, the Moto G line, and the Pixel 3a are much better secondary phones than this Umidigi piece of junk.
    If you're so concerned about good signal , why on Earth would you be using Sprint

I love my "piece of junk" Umidigi. It works flawlessly. I'm sorry you can't experience the wonders of this amazing phone. But oh well. Enjoy Sprint

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    If you're so concerned about good signal , why on Earth would you be using Sprint
    1. It was free for a year.
    2. CDMA BC10 is actually pretty good.
    3. USCC Extended in the middle of anywhere.
    4. My real phone is on AT&T anyway.

I love my "piece of junk" Umidigi. It works flawlessly. I'm sorry you can't experience the wonders of this amazing phone. But oh well. Enjoy Sprint
    What is so amazing about a phone that does nothing special and doesn't even work well on any US carrier? I'm rocking a Note 9 on AT&T, so I don't think I have anything to worry about from Umidigi lol.

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1. It was free for a year.
    2. CDMA BC10 is actually pretty good.
    3. USCC Extended in the middle of anywhere.
    4. My real phone is on AT&T anyway.

What is so amazing about a phone that does nothing special and doesn't even work well on any US carrier? I'm rocking a Note 9 on AT&T, so I don't think I have anything to worry about from Umidigi lol.
    So you'll use crappy service just because it's free? Wow, I wouldn't use Sprint if you paid me. I find it hilarious that you make all these arguments about the potential for my phone to have bad service in certain areas and yet you're using the crappiest service around. Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm sure it works for YOU. After all, that's the only thing that matters right? What works for YOU.

I couldn't care less what phone you're using and I could buy 10 note 9's in cash and not blink an eye. Guess what? There's a thing called cost/value ratio. In my opinion only an imbecile would think a Note 9 is worth its sticker price. Overpriced and filled with bloatware. Oh, somebody decided to do a comparison of the Note 9 to the Umidigi F1 play. Why? Because the Umidigi is an amazing value. Look at the comments as well ...

https://youtu.be/qAB0CWAVANk

Last edited by cellphone-guy; 07-02-2019 at 11:40 PM.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    So you'll use crappy service just because it's free? Wow, I wouldn't use Sprint if you paid me. I find it hilarious that you make all these arguments about the potential for my phone to have bad service in certain areas and yet you're using the crappiest service around. Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm sure it works for YOU. After all, that's the only thing that matters right? What works for YOU.
    Sprint is a disaster. But you should try actually reading my post. My real phone is on AT&T. So who cares how bad Sprint is? It's a toy, and if it works better than AT&T 1 time out of 20, great. Sprint works in a number of places where AT&T doesn't, even though there's 20x as many places where AT&T works and Sprint doesn't.

I couldn't care less what phone you're using and I could buy 10 note 9's in cash and not blink an eye. Guess what? There's a thing called cost/value ratio. In my opinion only an imbecile would think a Note 9 is worth its sticker price. Overpriced and filled with bloatware. Oh, somebody decided to do a comparison of the Note 9 to the Umidigi F1 play. Why? Because the Umidigi is an amazing value. Look at the comments as well ...
    That's the most ridiculous comparison lol. Also, I didn't pay sticker, I paid $949 for it. Sticker is $1249. That's fine if there are countries where the Umidigi phones fully support their networks, but for the US, it's idiotic considering that the Umidigi F1 isn't fully compatible with any of our networks and there are many phones that are.

A much more reasonable comparison would be to the Moto G series or something else that's in a similar class of device. You can't compare a Samsung device with a Qualcomm SoC to that off-brand POS.

Feedback Score
    Hey there, OP Here :-) Lively discussion! Before I throw this S8+ out the window, does anyone have troubleshooting tips for why it's getting worse signal that my motox4 did?! I have zero signal in the house and if I go outside I might get a couple bars. I was able to use the x4 in the house regularly on Sprint.

For the record, we use Sprint because we can get phone calls. MetroPCS had amazing data speeds but I couldn't get a phone call at my house even with a booster. When hubby needed to go to the ER and I needed to call for help but had to go outside on the sidewalk to do so we had to kick them to the curb. We have a phone on puretalkusa which gets equally bad signal so our choices are limited.

SO, on the S8+ -- Currently, Sprint and T-mo aren't sharing on B71, correct? So that shouldn't be an issue though good info to know.

I've reset data and reseated the SIM card. If I can't get signal I may as well send it back and get the less expensive phone that worked even though it is quite pretty. Ideas?!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BethM View Post
    Hey there, OP Here :-) Lively discussion! Before I throw this S8+ out the window, does anyone have troubleshooting tips for why it's getting worse signal that my motox4 did?! I have zero signal in the house and if I go outside I might get a couple bars. I was able to use the x4 in the house regularly on Sprint.

For the record, we use Sprint because we can get phone calls. MetroPCS had amazing data speeds but I couldn't get a phone call at my house even with a booster. When hubby needed to go to the ER and I needed to call for help but had to go outside on the sidewalk to do so we had to kick them to the curb. We have a phone on puretalkusa which gets equally bad signal so our choices are limited.

SO, on the S8+ -- Currently, Sprint and T-mo aren't sharing on B71, correct? So that shouldn't be an issue though good info to know.

I've reset data and reseated the SIM card. If I can't get signal I may as well send it back and get the less expensive phone that worked even though it is quite pretty. Ideas?!
    Give me a screen shot. Dial *#0011# so I can see what band your on.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast