Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Phone choice -- S8, Moto G7, or ???

Feedback Score

Phone choice -- S8, Moto G7, or ???

Looking to replace a device, will be paying outright because we have kickstart.

I can't decide between a pre-owned Galaxy S8 or a new Moto G7 or an option I haven't considered.

Budget is about $250 - I'm most interested in how it's going to do on the network. My son just got my moto x4, and while the phone is great I've noticed sprint network speeds are so painful. We live on the edge of coverage surrounded by trees. When spring hit last year, we couldn't even get Tmo phone calls because of the leaves on the trees. At least with sprint I get phone calls. The reason I started considering the S8 is that I read about HPUE and just wonder if we're missing out. We love the idea of the moto phones because if we need to move carriers we don't necessarily need new devices.

What do you suggest? TY!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BethM View Post

I can't decide between a pre-owned Galaxy S8 or a new Moto G7 or an option I haven't considered.

Budget is about $250 - I'm most interested in how it's going to do on the network. My son just got my moto x4, and while the phone is great I've noticed sprint network speeds are so painful. We live on the edge of coverage surrounded by trees. When spring hit last year, we couldn't even get Tmo phone calls because of the leaves on the trees. At least with sprint I get phone calls. The reason I started considering the S8 is that I read about HPUE and just wonder if we're missing out. We love the idea of the moto phones because if we need to move carriers we don't necessarily need new devices.

What do you suggest? TY!
    The S8 has significant advantages on the network side for Sprint such as HPUE, 2XCA upload on 2.5ghz, carrier aggregation between 1.9ghz and another 1.9ghz. Also The S8 is the first series of galaxy devices that works on all carriers. In fact it's the first time all US carriers recieved the same model and if its unlocked it works on all us carriers.

Sent from my SM-G977P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    So if I'm purchasing through Amazon Refreshed or ebay etc, I just need to make sure the S8 is a US version and I should be good? There seem to be a limited number of ones saying 'sprint' or they cost more. Is the same true for other variants, S8+/active?

Thanks for the info, it's where I was leaning but pre-owned can always be a bit more of a gamble.

Feedback Score
    So if I'm purchasing through Amazon Refreshed or ebay etc, I just need to make sure the S8 is a US version and I should be good? There seem to be a limited number of ones saying 'sprint' or they cost more. Is the same true for other variants, S8+/active?

Thanks for the info, it's where I was leaning but pre-owned can always be a bit more of a gamble.
    Yes. US model and unlocked and your good to go. On ATT, T-Mobile and Verizon you should be able to pop a sim in and that’s it. Sprint is annoyingly different with sims. You have to get a new sim and go through the stupid carrier activation method. But it will work on Sprint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Annoyingly different is a good descriptor! Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    Annoyingly different is a good descriptor! Thanks again.

I would definitely get the S8.

Equally important to what you mention, it will get VoLTE on Sprint.

Get any U.S. carrier branded S8 that has been unlocked and it will switch to Sprint personality on inserting a Sprint sim and you will get Wifi Calling and Visual Voicemail as well.

Unless it is new, check the IMEI at https://www.sprint.com/en/landings/b...wn-phone.html? or have the seller check it there (not any other checker).

Order the quasi-universal sim kit here (not anywhere else) for $2.99
    https://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/sho...cSKU=121700244
    and use the sim in it that ends in 416Q.
    Last edited by comintel; 06-28-2019 at 09:50 PM.

Feedback Score
    Thank you both. Typing from the new S8+. Ordered through Amazon Renewed and it looks brand new. Verizon branding. Imei checked out with sprint so just ordered that universal SIM kit. Thanks for the link comintel!

Feedback Score

What do you suggest? TY!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Thank you both. Typing from the new S8+. Ordered through Amazon Renewed and it looks brand new. Verizon branding. Imei checked out with sprint so just ordered that universal SIM kit. Thanks for the link comintel!
    I looked at Amazon to see the phone offers you are referring to, and is this one of the ones they show as US models but say "GSM Only"? What a bunch of clueless morons they are not to know the capabilities of the phones they are selling and that that all U.S S8 and S9 variants support all US carriers (with 100% feature support by any branded model), once unlocked. It is true that carrier switching based on sim insertion is always added after initial release, so I guess they are just unaware of the updates that enabled that capability (even though those were 1 to 2 years ago).
    Last edited by comintel; 06-30-2019 at 06:18 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It wasn't always easy to determine if a particular phone had a CDMA radio, so to avoid too many customer returns, I think some sellers reflexively add "GSM-only" to their listings, even when they know there's a good possibility that what they're selling could be compatible with all four networks. A used phone reseller who deals with hundreds of units in a month doesn't want to waste time determining if an iPhone 6 model A1549 is the GSM-only version or the CDMA version, so they simply list all of their inventory as GSM-only. I'm guessing other manufacturers besides Apple also at one time were using the same model number for both versions of any particular phone.

Also, even if a particular phone has a CDMA radio and is unlocked, there could be difficulties activating it on Sprint or a Sprint MVNO due to the prepaid flag setting, and so it's easier for sellers to simply not deal with it. This will definitely cost them some missed sales, but it saves them a ton of headaches.

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Consider the Umidigi F1 play or possibly the S3 Pro. I absolutely love mine. There are lots of YouTube videos about the Umidigi F1, F1 play, and S3 Pro.

I got mine for $186. Amazing bargain.

https://www.umidigi.com/page-umidigi..._overview.html

Here are the bands and carriers supported. You can buy it through Amazon.com. AliExpress has better prices but takes longer to ship.

https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency...midigi-f1-play

Sent from my F1 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post
    Consider the Umidigi F1 play or possibly the S3 Pro. I absolutely love mine. There are lots of YouTube videos about the Umidigi F1, F1 play, and S3 Pro.
    That thing won't work well on any US carrier. It's missing CDMA BC10, so it won't work at all on Sprint, it's missing B71 and B66 on T-Mobile, it's missing B66 on Verizon, and it's missing B29, B30, B66, and B14 on AT&T. Considering Verizon's spectrum position and congestion issues, T-Mobile's use of B71 for rural coverage, and AT&T's extensive use of B29/30 particularly in a few key markets like NYC, and increasing use of B66 and B14, this phone is just a bad idea in the US.

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    That thing won't work well on any US carrier. It's missing CDMA BC10, so it won't work at all on Sprint, it's missing B71 and B66 on T-Mobile, it's missing B66 on Verizon, and it's missing B29, B30, B66, and B14 on AT&T. Considering Verizon's spectrum position and congestion issues, T-Mobile's use of B71 for rural coverage, and AT&T's extensive use of B29/30 particularly in a few key markets like NYC, and increasing use of B66 and B14, this phone is just a bad idea in the US.
    LOL.... I'm using it right now and it works perfectly on T-Mobile (MetroPCS). Full LTE speed, no issues. Actually a LOT better than my previous phone on MetroPCS which I bought at a Metro store! There ARE people using it on Sprint and even Verizon. "Won't work well on any US carrier", don't make me laugh. Maybe you could do a YouTube search to find out about the happy people using this phone. Is it missing a few bands on some of the carriers, yes... but honestly nothing that prevents full LTE speed. On some of those carriers they haven't even fully implemented some of those bands yet.

Best $180 I've spent on a phone.

If those bands are very important to you... then definitely get a different phone. Guess what? I've been on Tmo/Metro for almost 5 years and I've never used or needed band 71 or 66.... not even once. Will I need those or enjoy them in the future? When Tmo expands their coverage and I feel my phone isn't cutting it... I'll upgrade again.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post
    LOL.... I'm using it right now and it works perfectly on T-Mobile (MetroPCS). Full LTE speed, no issues. Actually a LOT better than my previous phone on MetroPCS which I bought at a Metro store! There ARE people using it on Sprint and even Verizon. "Won't work well on any US carrier", don't make me laugh. Maybe you could do a YouTube search to find out about the happy people using this phone. Is it missing a few bands on some of the carriers, yes... but honestly nothing that prevents full LTE speed. On some of those carriers they haven't even fully implemented some of those bands yet.
    There are tons of old phones that don't have B71 or even B66 on T-Mobile, but the fact remains that they are missing big chunks of new coverage in areas that have been built for 600mhz coverage, as well as capacity. It claims to not support CDMA BC10, meaning that it couldn't use CDMA 1x800 at all, which would be a disaster for a Sprint phone. I have seen the effects of not having B30/66 on AT&T in NYC. An iPhone 6 had unusable data, while my Note 9 was pulling double-digit speeds on B30.

Just because something will partially work in some places doesn't mean it's a good choice for that network. This thing is a poor choice for every US network.

If those bands are very important to you... then definitely get a different phone. Guess what? I've been on Tmo/Metro for almost 5 years and I've never used or needed band 71 or 66.... not even once.
    Of course you haven't used them because your phone doesn't support them. So you have no service in areas where B71 is the only band available, and you have slow/unusable data if there are areas of high congestion with B66.

We're not at the point yet where everyone should go run out an buy a new phone to get B71, but to recommend a phone without it to someone on T-Mobile at this point is idiotic. Meanwhile, this phone doesn't support CDMA 1x800, so it's a dud on Sprint, and it will have nasty congestion issues on AT&T and to a lesser extent Verizon.

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    There are tons of old phones that don't have B71 or even B66 on T-Mobile, but the fact remains that they are missing big chunks of new coverage in areas that have been built for 600mhz coverage, as well as capacity. It claims to not support CDMA BC10, meaning that it couldn't use CDMA 1x800 at all, which would be a disaster for a Sprint phone. I have seen the effects of not having B30/66 on AT&T in NYC. An iPhone 6 had unusable data, while my Note 9 was pulling double-digit speeds on B30.

Just because something will partially work in some places doesn't mean it's a good choice for that network. This thing is a poor choice for every US network.

Of course you haven't used them because your phone doesn't support them. So you have no service in areas where B71 is the only band available, and you have slow/unusable data if there are areas of high congestion with B66.

We're not at the point yet where everyone should go run out an buy a new phone to get B71, but to recommend a phone without it to someone on T-Mobile at this point is idiotic. Meanwhile, this phone doesn't support CDMA 1x800, so it's a dud on Sprint, and it will have nasty congestion issues on AT&T and to a lesser extent Verizon.
    LOL. I'm not having bad service. I was happy with my service in the past (without band 71 and 66) and the fact that this phone doesn't have it... doesn't matter at all to me. I get outstanding LTE speeds everywhere I need it. It's a great phone and I'm getting outstanding service. What part of that can't you understand? I don't think it's idiotic AT ALL to recommend this phone. I had someone recommend it to me, and I'm certainly glad they did. Otherwise I would have ended up with the Moto G7 power.... and I wouldn't have liked it as much as this phone (even though it has the extra bands). Wow, isn't that interesting.

I totally recommend this phone as a great choice for MetroPCS/Tmo.

But, if you're in an area where you absolutely need band 71 or 66 then yes...think twice. Apparently I don't need them, my service is outstanding. I'd actually be shocked to find anyone at this point having issues or bad service with the Tmo network just because they don't have 71 or 66. To suggest THAT is idiotic.

I haven't tried this phone on Sprint or AT&T but I know people who have. Ummm, it works just fine.

AT&T and Tmo speed tests...

https://youtu.be/w8iVCGN8Rxg

Here's a good video. In the comments you'll see a few people using it on Verizon just fine.

https://youtu.be/t7bmKFCacYU

Lots of other videos on YouTube, probably better ones.

I completely understand your opinions and concerns and why you have them (they're not completely unfounded). But, I think it's preposterous for you to think you can actually tell me not to recommend this phone when I actually OWN and USE the phone and I'm very, very happy with it. $180, tons of amazing features (NFC, 5150mAh battery, full HD display, dual SIM/Dual VoLTE, etc). In my opinion it's the best budget phone of the year and works amazingly well.

I think it's idiotic for you NOT to recommend this phone. Again, thank goodness someone recommended it to me.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast