Thread: Guaranteed way to get certain features

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Guaranteed way to get certain features

I currently have a Moto g7 Supra purchased from Cricket and locked in for 6 months but I have most of the features I want, such as WiFi calling, VoLTE/HD Voice and possibly video calling?

The phone is capable of video calling but I'm not really sure if Cricket has to provision it or not. Cricket support has been terrible in my experiences.

I also have an unlocked Huawei Mate 10 pro and I currently have it on the AT&T double data plan 8+8.

I am not getting VoLTE/HD Voice or WiFi calling or video calling either.

I would really like to get these features on this AT&T plan.

How would I do that?

Buy an AT&T phone from AT&T that is locked to them for a certain time period? Would that guarantee that I get these features as long as the phone I buy is capable of them?

Any way to use my current Huawei Mate 10 Pro that I currently have and get these features I want on AT&T?

From what I've been reading, AT&T seems to be one provider that will not give you these features unless you buy from them, or unless the planets and stars align just a certain way or you give up your first born child or yada yada yada.

Trying to figure this all out is quite exhausting......................

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The first thing I would do is put the Cricket SIM in the Mate and see if you can get VoLTE to work. If it does, you now know the phone has the right firmware for this, and it's a matter of getting the AT&T Prepaid account provisioned for it...

To do that, start with calling 611 from the AT&T plan and ask them to confirm VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling are enabled in their system for that line. These features started on prepaid like a year ago, and not all lines got them on activation, nor do I think they went back and enabled them for existing lines. Swap the AT&T SIM back to the Mate and try a VoLTE call.

If that doesn't work, some have reported elsewhere that the next step is to give them the IMEI of a known VoLTE ready device to put in their system. You won't mess anything up if you do this -- it's just what the backend system needs to have on file to enable that on the line. You can SIM swap freely, so that IMEI is irrelevant to what actually gets service. You can even try the IMEI from the G7 (they don't know if it's Cricket-locked), though they could tell you it's active elsewhere. If it is, find a friend/relative with an iPhone (6S or later) IMEI that is not used on AT&T (e.g., one of the other 3 carriers) and give AT&T that IMEI for their system, and try the call again.

FWIW, I don't think the Mate 10 Pro will get Wi-Fi calling, which is why I focused on VoLTE -- but you can try.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    The first thing I would do is put the Cricket SIM in the Mate and see if you can get VoLTE to work. If it does, you now know the phone has the right firmware for this, and it's a matter of getting the AT&T Prepaid account provisioned for it...

To do that, start with calling 611 from the AT&T plan and ask them to confirm VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling are enabled in their system for that line. These features started on prepaid like a year ago, and not all lines got them on activation, nor do I think they went back and enabled them for existing lines. Swap the AT&T SIM back to the Mate and try a VoLTE call.

If that doesn't work, some have reported elsewhere that the next step is to give them the IMEI of a known VoLTE ready device to put in their system. You won't mess anything up if you do this -- it's just what the backend system needs to have on file to enable that on the line. You can SIM swap freely, so that IMEI is irrelevant to what actually gets service. You can even try the IMEI from the G7 (they don't know if it's Cricket-locked), though they could tell you it's active elsewhere. If it is, find a friend/relative with an iPhone (6S or later) IMEI that is not used on AT&T (e.g., one of the other 3 carriers) and give AT&T that IMEI for their system, and try the call again.

FWIW, I don't think the Mate 10 Pro will get Wi-Fi calling, which is why I focused on VoLTE -- but you can try.

Wow! Thank you for such a detailed set of instructions.

I will investigate them when I get some time.

To my one question though, if I buy an AT&T phone at the AT&T store that is capable of WiFi calling and VoLTE and Video Calling, would this phone that I buy, then get these features if I swap my sim card into it, or replace it with another sim?

I really want to keep the double data 8GB+8GB plan with AT&T but I want the HD/VoLTE, WiFi calling and Video Calling, so I'm looking for the easiest way. If it came down to it I could sell the Mate 10 pro and keep the AT&T phone that I would need to purchase.

If I can somehow accomplish this I would also have a Moto G7 Supra to sell after the 6 month period is over at Cricket.

Thanks again.....

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Your AT&T prepaid plan does allow the features you want -- Wi-Fi and VoLTE for sure. I assume they also support Video Calling if that is a feature as AT&T allows their own prepaid brands (Cricket is an AT&T company, and of course AT&T Prepaid is as well). So with compatible equipment on your end (e.g., if you can't get the Mate working, you can buy an AT&T device), and get these features enabled.

What I was getting at in the prior message is that the account has to be provisioned for it in their system, which sometimes needs a little trickery. Their system needs an "IMEI of record" to turn these features on -- if the "IMEI of record" doesn't support those features, then they won't be enabled. Though I don't own one, I Googled before answering you yesterday to confirm the Mate supported VoLTE.

AT&T will withhold certain features that they consider proprietary from their other MVNOs (not the captives like Cricket and AT&T Prepaid), and also won't license/allow certain of these features to work on hardware they haven't certified (if they don't sell it, they generally don't certify it). That is why Wi-Fi calling won't likely work on the Mate -- it needs some settings that aren't in the device and Wi-Fi calling settings aren't really editable by the end user (i.e., it's not like an APN setting). If that feature is really important to you, you'll need an AT&T certified device.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    Your AT&T prepaid plan does allow the features you want -- Wi-Fi and VoLTE for sure. I assume they also support Video Calling if that is a feature as AT&T allows their own prepaid brands (Cricket is an AT&T company, and of course AT&T Prepaid is as well). So with compatible equipment on your end (e.g., if you can't get the Mate working, you can buy an AT&T device), and get these features enabled.

What I was getting at in the prior message is that the account has to be provisioned for it in their system, which sometimes needs a little trickery. Their system needs an "IMEI of record" to turn these features on -- if the "IMEI of record" doesn't support those features, then they won't be enabled. Though I don't own one, I Googled before answering you yesterday to confirm the Mate supported VoLTE.

AT&T will withhold certain features that they consider proprietary from their other MVNOs (not the captives like Cricket and AT&T Prepaid), and also won't license/allow certain of these features to work on hardware they haven't certified (if they don't sell it, they generally don't certify it). That is why Wi-Fi calling won't likely work on the Mate -- it needs some settings that aren't in the device and Wi-Fi calling settings aren't really editable by the end user (i.e., it's not like an APN setting). If that feature is really important to you, you'll need an AT&T certified device.
    You don't always need an att device. But generally its recommended.

Some unlocked Motorola's. All the the newer model iPhones, galaxy s8 and above , some LG factory unlocked devices and a good bit of others work just fine with AT&T volte and wifi calling.

Wifi calling works fine on att with my Verizon s9 as an example.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks guys,

Your posts have helped me understand a little bit more concerning the inner workings of cellular providers, and the features they provide.

It still shouldn't be this hard though.

These types of features should be clearly explained and what you need to do in order to get them.

Too much guess work, unless you're an expert like you guys.

I'll probably look for a phone from AT&T that has these features and then just sell my other two phones.

Thanks again.....................