Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: gUDP SIM in a Jetpack?

Feedback Score

gUDP SIM in a Jetpack?

So I bought a house with no options for internet except satellite, but kept my gUDP from a decade ago with Verizon. Every time I ask to change something on my daughters' plans, they intentionally make some mistake hoping I won't be paying attention and they can cancel my gUDP.

I am having them separate my daughters plans from my gUDP so there won't be any more tricks.

Bought a $600 weboost cell antenna/booster, paid some shady dude a few hundred bucks to get my tethered phone to share internet with my router so we have decent enough speed to stream hulu, Netflix, etc. Spending another $200 on a pole to get it high enough to work.

Verizon supposed to be sending me a new SIM and adding a line, so my plan is to take my old gUDP SIM and stick it into an old phone, to permanently tether (using easytether pro) to home network. I was going to forward everything from my old number to new if necessary.

My question is... can I stick the gUDP SIM card in a jetpack or similar mifi device for additional speed/power?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

gUDP SIM in a Jetpack?

Don’t use a mifi or a Jetpack. It will not be reliable. Get something like a Mofi 4500 sim 4 combo, a CradlePoint device, or a Pepwave. It will be much more reliable and probably get you better download speeds to boot.

Feedback Score
    Good info, thank you orlimar. I've never even heard of those, so I have some research to do. Of your 3 recommendations, which is best? I'm in this far, so might as well get the best available.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ER_Doc76 View Post
    Good info, thank you orlimar. I've never even heard of those, so I have some research to do. Of your 3 recommendations, which is best? I'm in this far, so might as well get the best available.
    The only 1 I have experience with is the Mofi4500. It is a very reliable unit but with a clanky UI. Rumors are swirling that Mofi is getting ready to release a new model anytime. It's rumored to also include 5G. Not that it would do 99% of us any good for now. But I'm sure it will have other upgrades as well. I'd start researching, but if you can wait if you're interested in the Mofi, I would hold off for now.
    Last edited by Orlimar1; 07-03-2019 at 04:51 AM.

Feedback Score
    Sounds good... thanks again. I'm no techie, but it's reasonable to assume (for once) that 5 G will come on pretty fast and strong. If it will do what they say it will, it will immediately destroy cable, dsl, wireless, and satellite. That's a LOT of money to be had, so you gotta think the big cell companies know that and are racing to be the first and garnish most of the market.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    The only 1 I have experience with is the Mofi4500. It is a very reliable unit but with a clanky UI. Rumors are swirling that Mofi is getting ready to release a new model anytime. It's rumored to also include 5G. Not that it would do 99% of us any good for now. But I'm sure it will have other upgrades as well. I'd start researching, but if you can wait if you're interested in the Mofi, I would hold off for now.
    So, I ordered the mofi4500 and put in my GUDP Verizon sim card in it. Went through installation with mofi tech support, and got to a point that he said, "mobile hotspot has to be enabled on plan for it to work." So, now I'm back to square one. Enabling mobile hotspot on my gUDP plan will cause it to be monitored and throttled down, defeating the whole purpose. I'm back to using an old phone tethered to PC with easytether and sharing the internet connection with my home network, which doesnt work very well as I constantly have to disconnect and reconnect it to get it to work. Is there anything I can do to make this all work with the mofi4500, or did I just buy a $350 paperweight?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    So, I ordered the mofi4500 and put in my GUDP Verizon sim card in it. Went through installation with mofi tech support, and got to a point that he said, "mobile hotspot has to be enabled on plan for it to work." So, now I'm back to square one. Enabling mobile hotspot on my gUDP plan will cause it to be monitored and throttled down, defeating the whole purpose. I'm back to using an old phone tethered to PC with easytether and sharing the internet connection with my home network, which doesnt work very well as I constantly have to disconnect and reconnect it to get it to work. Is there anything I can do to make this all work with the mofi4500, or did I just buy a $350 paperweight?
    I have never heard of that error message with a Mofi device. And this was directly with the Mofi people? They’ve always been able to help me resolve any issues I’ve had in the past. Unless Verizon has made some changes this shouldn’t be happening. I had the old Gudp plan a few yeatback. I slapped it in there and it worked wonderfully.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Do you ever post on Reddit? If not I can share your post over there and see if anyone has any thoughts.

Feedback Score
    see this thread - https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...unlimited-plan

Feedback Score
    Thank you for responding. Yes, that was with mofi tech support that told me it won't work unless I enabled the hotspot feature. What a huge (and expensive) PITA this has been.

Feedback Score
    I have never heard of that error message with a Mofi device. And this was directly with the Mofi people? They’ve always been able to help me resolve any issues I’ve had in the past. Unless Verizon has made some changes this shouldn’t be happening. I had the old Gudp plan a few yeatback. I slapped it in there and it worked wonderfully.
    Thank you for responding. Yes, that was with mofi tech support that told me it won't work unless I enabled the hotspot feature. What a huge (and expensive) PITA this has been.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Do you ever post on Reddit? If not I can share your post over there and see if anyone has any thoughts.
    I don't know anything about reddit. I was going to just add the hotspot feature, pay the extra $30/month and be done with it, but I just opened myverizon and it says after 15gb a month it's throttled down to 600kbps. Eff that... tethering is ok, I get around 30mbps, haven't installed the antenna pole yet. It's far from ideal, as every time I connect it and share with the network, it works for about 3 hours, then I have to go disconnect and reconnect it.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

gUDP SIM in a Jetpack?

I don't know anything about reddit. I was going to just add the hotspot feature, pay the extra $30/month and be done with it, but I just opened myverizon and it says after 15gb a month it's throttled down to 600kbps. Eff that... tethering is ok, I get around 30mbps, haven't installed the antenna pole yet. It's far from ideal, as every time I connect it and share with the network, it works for about 3 hours, then I have to go disconnect and reconnect it.
    That does NOT sound like the gudp plan/line. Those lines are not subject to a hard throttle like that. The only thing Verizon throttles is video. Did they happen to switch you off of your gudp somehow?

Feedback Score
    That does NOT sound like the gudp plan/line. Those lines are not subject to a hard throttle like that. The only thing Verizon throttles is video. Did they happen to switch you off of your gudp somehow?
    It says on myverizon that my line has unlimited data and below that it says "Do More Unlimited". Below that it says "After 50GB at 4G LTE, in times of congestion, your data may be temporarily slower than other traffic. Mobile Hotspot/tethering reduced to speeds up to 600kbps after 15GB/month."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast