Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Red Pocket - continuous slower speed data?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    68
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

    Red Pocket - continuous slower speed data?

    When I tested Red Pocket's CDMA (aka Verizon) plan with noted slower-speed data after the 1GB was used, my iPhone SE showed zero data. I reached out to customer service who said I was out of data.

    I had them verify I had, in fact, purchased, and was using, 1GB at LTE then 2G after the 1GB data was used, and they verified that was correct. I then asked why I was not automatically downgraded to slower speed when I reached 1GB, and all they said was they would reset my data.

    I tried again on the reset data, no knowing why they had to do this, and again hit a "data cap" and reached out again. Same issue. Stopped data - not seemless continuous at slower speed.

    Nobody at RP had any reason other than I was going *OVER* my data when I was arguing my plan was designed to be CONTINUOUS at lower speeds. They didn't get it. A couple days later, just hanging on the phone, data was "magically" showing slower speed and data worked again. Did someone realize something, or did it take two days to kick in?

    So, what I wonder is if I choose GSMA (ATT), will I have the same issues with RP?

    Anyone else experience the same with any carrier offering high speed for xGB then slower speed until the next billing cycle?

    Thanks.

    Scott

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SID 246
    Posts
    2,514
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by scotte View Post
    When I tested Red Pocket's CDMA (aka Verizon) plan with noted slower-speed data after the 1GB was used, my iPhone SE showed zero data. I reached out to customer service who said I was out of data.

    I had them verify I had, in fact, purchased, and was using, 1GB at LTE then 2G after the 1GB data was used, and they verified that was correct. I then asked why I was not automatically downgraded to slower speed when I reached 1GB, and all they said was they would reset my data.

    I tried again on the reset data, no knowing why they had to do this, and again hit a "data cap" and reached out again. Same issue. Stopped data - not seemless continuous at slower speed.

    Nobody at RP had any reason other than I was going *OVER* my data when I was arguing my plan was designed to be CONTINUOUS at lower speeds. They didn't get it. A couple days later, just hanging on the phone, data was "magically" showing slower speed and data worked again. Did someone realize something, or did it take two days to kick in?

    So, what I wonder is if I choose GSMA (ATT), will I have the same issues with RP?

    Anyone else experience the same with any carrier offering high speed for xGB then slower speed until the next billing cycle?

    Thanks.

    Scott
    My 500MB plan both on GSMA and CDMA Verizon once used it’s used until next billing cycle. Are you on the yearly plan? I’m pretty sure the “slow” data doesn’t apply there


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

    I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

    My Photography www.hunterspad.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    68
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    My 500MB plan both on GSMA and CDMA Verizon once used it’s used until next billing cycle. Are you on the yearly plan? I’m pretty sure the “slow” data doesn’t apply there


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is the plan I am going to test - https://www.redpocket.com/plans/add/M030

    I think it the same plan I tested before - either they increased the monthly GB amount or I lost track and said 1 and it might have been 5GB.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    3,596
    Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB, iPad Pro 11" 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Unreal Mobile, Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    My 500MB plan both on GSMA and CDMA Verizon once used it’s used until next billing cycle. Are you on the yearly plan? I’m pretty sure the “slow” data doesn’t apply here
    Agreed. When I look at the RP site it doesn’t seem to indicate slower 2G data after the limit until you get to the 5gb plan which is $30 a month:

    https://www.redpocket.com/plans

    Notice the earlier plans don’t say unlimited under the LTE figure like the higher plans do. I’m guessing you had a rep that was a little goofy tell you it was unlimited after 1gb.

    —Kidd
    Hear me on Twitter: @alexkidd1 / Fun connection:

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    68
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexKidd1977 View Post
    Agreed. When I look at the RP site it doesn’t seem to indicate slower 2G data after the limit until you get to the 5gb plan which is $30 a month:

    https://www.redpocket.com/plans

    Notice the earlier plans don’t say unlimited under the LTE figure like the higher plans do. I’m guessing you had a rep that was a little goofy tell you it was unlimited after 1gb.

    —Kidd
    I think *I* got was in err when I said 1 GB. I think it was 3 or 5GB then unlimited at slower speeds, as I read the noted plan.

    Am I misreading that, or is it, in fact, unlimited at slower speeds once I hit 5 GB?

    When I tried it with CDMA, they capped me, saying it was *NOT* unlimited...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    68
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    So I am NOT the only one!

    Just found this thread - https://www.reddit.com/r/redpocket/c...ted_2g_at_all/

    I would expect an auto switch from high speed to low speed, but that is not was is happening and this is NOT how it should work.

    I was not imagining it after all!

    I would think this is illegal - paying for unlimited data, and not getting it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,695
    Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    One of the things I noticed about red pocket is that their offerings on eBay are a little inconsistent and confusing. Some of the listings seem redundant but if you examine the fine print, I believe they offer yearly plans with data caps and slightly more expensive ones with unlimited 2g.

    Sent from my F1 Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

Similar Threads

  1. red pocket $10/mo 1GB data only; how good?
    By nobar in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-11-2014, 08:13 AM
  2. Red Pocket offering unlimited GSM Data??
    By kevdogg329 in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-08-2013, 02:59 PM
  3. Red Pocket PayGo HAS NO DATA?
    By jsmithepa in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-06-2013, 08:26 PM
  4. Red Pocket vs. H2O speeds
    By Tjabah in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-09-2012, 06:41 PM
  5. Red Pocket + 4S: No Cellular Data
    By IO01 in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-06-2012, 07:30 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks