Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Google Voice on Alaska Cruise

Feedback Score

Google Voice on Alaska Cruise

My bride and I will be taking our first cruise soon. We will be traveling to Alaska on Norwegian Cruise Lines and as part of a promotion, will have 1GB of WiFi available for the trip. I know I can use VoLTE with my Red Pocket CDMA-V service when in port but would like to use GV or Hangouts when at sea.

Has anyone had personal experience using GV on one of the newer NCL ships? We will be on the Norwegian Bliss.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T, Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    i have no direct experience with GV on cruiselines in particular, but I've been using GV everywhere that's got Internet (including planes and trains) for almost a decade now and if you've got a working connection, you've got GV.
    Galaxy Tab S2 SM-T817T on AT&T
    Galaxy S7 on StraightTalk (AT&T)

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think you'll be fine so long as jitter/latency isn't excessively high. I've used hangouts over 4g (not lte) gsm without any issues.

Safe travels.....

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10+, Moto X4, Moto G5 Plus, Blu R1HD, IPhone 6s, Defective Umidigi Power
    Carrier(s)
    VerizonPP, Red Pocket A,T,V
    Feedback Score
    I"ve used Whatsapp and Hangouts over ship's wifi on Holland America on a cruise around South America. Worked fine. So it can be done. Whether NCL blocks it is another question.

Feedback Score
    We just got back from an awesome cruise to Alaska on the Norwegian Bliss. We had their 250 minute Internet promo package as part of their Free at Sea package. GV worked flawlessly for texting but I could not get the app to connect for voice. Not really a problem for us because we stayed very busy doing cruise things instead of worrying about talking on our cell. I took two phones with us - one on Red Pocket's CDMA and the other on Red Pocket's GSMA. When in port at Juneau, Skagway, and Victoria the ATT phone worked much better than Verizon. I hope this recent and direct experience helps someone else.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by southsound View Post
    but I could not get the app to connect for voice
    This is a recent change, too- for years I was able to make GV WiFi calls in Airplane Mode, and sometime in recent months GV removed this ability on my tablet (it just spins the cursor for a while then comes back with "Cannot make call- retry/cancel?").

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kencrudup View Post
    This is a recent change, too- for years I was able to make GV WiFi calls in Airplane Mode, and sometime in recent months GV removed this ability on my tablet (it just spins the cursor for a while then comes back with "Cannot make call- retry/cancel?").
    I think you may be confused. The GV app only just got the ability to use data only last year, so you really couldn't have been "able to make GV WiFi calls in Airplane Mode" "for years".

Or are you not talking specifically about the GV app?

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Nah, you're right (although I was mentally mixing in using the Hangouts Dialer, too). But I did use GV WiFi calling quite a bit on my tablet last year before it went away (ironically enough, I can still GET calls on my tablet, just can no longer make them).

(... but technically, anything over 365.25 days is ≥ a year, so I'ma double-down on my "years" assertion )
    Last edited by kencrudup; 09-23-2019 at 01:18 PM.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Nah, you're right (although I was mentally mixing in using the Hangouts Dialer, too). But I did use GV WiFi calling quite a bit on my tablet last year before it went away (ironically enough, I can still GET calls on my tablet, just can no longer make them).

(... but technically, anything over 365.25 days is ≥ a year, so I'ma double-down on my "years" assertion )
    But the issue you're describing isn't what I experience.

My Android phones and tablet are all still able to place calls using either the Hangouts app (with one GV #) or the GV app (with a different GV #) while in airplane mode with only a WiFi connection.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    This is what I get on my (data-only) tablet. It used to work, but now it spins for a while and eventually gives this:
    Name:  Screenshot_20190923-115032_Voice.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  19.1 KB

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    This is probably a silly question, but under Menu>Settings, and then under the Calls section, if you click on Making and receiving calls, do you have "Prefer WiFi and mobile data" selected?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    If that wasn't the issue, you could try:
    1. Clear Voice app cache and data
    2. Open and re-setup the app and accept any requested permissions
    3. After setup is complete open settings and change calling from "prefer wifi..." to "use carrier...", then after a couple seconds change back to "prefer wifi..." and accept any requested permissions

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    'Course. And did all your steps, too. My tablet is from T-Mo, and I suspect they may be doing "something" to prevent it (my Tab S4 still gets periodic security updates).

Hangout dialer still works, IIRC, so it's not really a big loss until I have to go overseas again.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9 Duos
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    This is what I get on my (data-only) tablet. It used to work, but now it spins for a while and eventually gives this:
    Name:  Screenshot_20190923-115032_Voice.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  19.1 KB
    I used to get this to with a WiFi tablet but it's been resolved and working again. Update and try it again.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10+, Moto X4, Moto G5 Plus, Blu R1HD, IPhone 6s, Defective Umidigi Power
    Carrier(s)
    VerizonPP, Red Pocket A,T,V
    Feedback Score
    I don't know where the problem was, but on a recent trip to France and Italy I could use Hangouts with GV to call most numbers in the States. But when I tried to call Cox Communications on their 888 number it would never connect. Skype called Cox without problem and turns out it will call 800 numbers for free, no credit needed.

I did use Hangouts on a Holland America cruise from Ft Lauderdale to San Diego via their 250 minute data package and it worked fine. As did Whatsapp.

Question: How do you measure minutes of use for a data package??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast