Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: 55+ Magenta (plus?). 2 voice lines, 2 ipad lines. Best combo of options????

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    27
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

    55+ Magenta (plus?). 2 voice lines, 2 ipad lines. Best combo of options????

    I have gotten great advice on the HF VZ forum, and am hoping you folks on the HF TM forum who have similar devices as ours can help us decide how to mix and match our TM plan. I've searched the forum here, but a lot of the posts aren't current and I'm unclear if plans have changed.

    I am currently on a vz data bucket plan. Our needs are changing and I would like to be on an unlimited plan. Vz refuses to offer their 55+ go unlimited plan, apparently bc I don't live in one of the states where it is offered. VZ best offer for our 2 phones and 2 ipads is $189 for unlimited. Ain't happening.

    Our iphones are paid off, are unlocked, and are the "world version" model A1661 so they should work on TM, ATT, etc. Or vz again if we hate the TM service and want to switch back. Ipads are also unlocked.

    The TM rep says there is a $10 data feature for the ipads that has 2GB per month, then 3G speeds.
    Or a $20 ipad plan with unlimited for the ipad.

    We don't tether much, if at all.

    The big question is, do we need the "Plus" features on the voice lines? And which ipad plan?
    Is the $10 ipad plan pre-paid on the ipad or part of my normal bill?

    What are the pros and cons of having the Plus on the phones, and choosing between the 2 different ipad plans? Is my understanding of the plans above correct?

    Is it easy to switch plans once I sign up, such as adding Plus to a phone?

    I've had cell phone plans long enough to realize the devil's in the details and the sales people aren't always well informed......

    thanks in advance for your help.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Patriots Nation & St Petersburg FL
    Posts
    9,550
    Device(s)
    LG G6, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'd simply get the 55+ plan for 70.00 a month and add the One Plus feature on each line for 15.00 each. 100.00 total which includes all taxes and fees. You'll get 20GB of high speed tethering.

    Or, simply try the 55+ plan with the included 3G tethering. Depending on what you use your iPad for, it may be fast enough.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    27
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    I'd simply get the 55+ plan for 70.00 a month and add the One Plus feature on each line for 15.00 each. 100.00 total which includes all taxes and fees. You'll get 20GB of high speed tethering.

    Or, simply try the 55+ plan with the included 3G tethering. Depending on what you use your iPad for, it may be fast enough.
    Thx for that info. There is one person in the family that might not know how to tether so if needed I guess I could buy an ipad plan for them. I certainly might try your solution for me. BTW, I was told the One Plus was $10 a line w/autopay.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Patriots Nation & St Petersburg FL
    Posts
    9,550
    Device(s)
    LG G6, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by drccell View Post
    Thx for that info. There is one person in the family that might not know how to tether so if needed I guess I could buy an ipad plan for them. I certainly might try your solution for me. BTW, I was told the One Plus was $10 a line.
    I believe it was 10.00 but they bumped it up to 15.00. They also increased the tethering data allotment.

    It's been a while since I've owned an iPhone and I don't know if there is a widget for it. It's fairly simple otherwise but you need to turn it on in the settings menu.

    Sent from my LG G6 using HoFo mobile app

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    895
    Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    If you have cellular iPads, i would get them on a plan. There is a huge difference in usability between a cellular iPad that is always online vs a tethered iPad. If you only use the iPads for email and light browsing, the $10 for 2GB Plan should be fine. I use mine for browsing and music streaming (which is zero rated on t-mobile), and i rarely surpass 2GB of usage a month.

    Whether you need the PLUS features on the voice lines is up to you. It really gives you other perks, like more hotspot data, slightly faster international roaming, etc. if you don’t need those features I would go for the Magenta 55 Plan, plus the $10 per line for the iPads. Unlimited domestic data on the device itself is the same regardless of whether you are PLUS a or not.

    You can freely switch plans / features on t-mobile, at least in theory. My experience is their billing system is terrible and always overcharges you when making changes.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    27
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    If you have cellular iPads, i would get them on a plan. There is a huge difference in usability between a cellular iPad that is always online vs a tethered iPad. If you only use the iPads for email and light browsing, the $10 for 2GB Plan should be fine. I use mine for browsing and music streaming (which is zero rated on t-mobile), and i rarely surpass 2GB of usage a month.

    Whether you need the PLUS features on the voice lines is up to you. It really gives you other perks, like more hotspot data, slightly faster international roaming, etc. if you don’t need those features I would go for the Magenta 55 Plan, plus the $10 per line for the iPads. Unlimited domestic data on the device itself is the same regardless of whether you are PLUS a or not.

    You can freely switch plans / features on t-mobile, at least in theory. My experience is their billing system is terrible and always overcharges you when making changes.
    Great feedback, thx. Usability is definitely important. My spouse likes things that “just work”. I didn’t realize that music streaming was zero rated. I’m going to have to research that further for t-mobile to see what else might be.

    Not encouraging that the t-mobile billing system may have issues. But I’ve been put on contact by VZ when I didn’t approve it, so I guess anything can happen in this market......

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    895
    Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Only music is zero-rated on the 2GB Plan. On the higher plans, video is too, but at that point you might as well add an unlimited tablet plan. So if the iPads are used for video, get unlimited for them.

    Of course you can tether at 3G speeds to your phones if you do need a d3cent amount of data over a short period ( eg, stuck in an airport for s3veral hours).

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    27
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    Only music is zero-rated on the 2GB Plan. On the higher plans, video is too, but at that point you might as well add an unlimited tablet plan. So if the iPads are used for video, get unlimited for them.

    Of course you can tether at 3G speeds to your phones if you do need a d3cent amount of data over a short period ( eg, stuck in an airport for s3veral hours).
    Okay, thx again. Based on your feedback I think I’ll get the $70 plan for the phones & the $10 plan for each of the iPads.

Similar Threads

  1. Use iPhone on iPad line
    By kareubeu in forum AT&T
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-21-2012, 09:43 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2011, 04:47 AM
  3. Two Phone Lines + iPad Data Pooling/Sharing
    By SatisfiedUser in forum Apple
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-29-2010, 02:11 AM
  4. splitting data and voice to two lines?
    By john99 in forum Fido
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-25-2010, 10:46 PM
  5. visual voice mail COU line
    By tenxaday in forum AT&T Agents and Employees
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-29-2008, 08:36 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks