Thread: question about porting in, and porting fee

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

question about porting in, and porting fee

I read that after 30 days of activation, ATT prepaid charges $36 for porting a number in. Is this still true as of today?

Also, how many times can a line have numbers ported in? For example, during initial set up I port in a number from a different carrier. Later on, either within the 30 days, or after the 30 days, can I port in a different number on that same line?

The reason I ask is because I ported a temporary disposable number from a different carrier, but now thinking I may just port out from GV to my line and have it be the real number. Is there any issue with porting in numbers multiple times into the same line?

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a XL
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Just go to an AT&T retail store (not a reseller) and do a port to a new SIM and pay a new month... Will eliminate the porting charge.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    - If ignorance is bliss, why are there not more happy people in the world?

Current Personal Phone: Google Pixel 3a XL (AT&T PrePaid)

Other phones "in the family": Nokia 6.1 (AT&T), Huawei P20

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
    Just go to an AT&T retail store (not a reseller) and do a port to a new SIM and pay a new month... Will eliminate the porting charge.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    My point is to avoid a new SIM and new account. I have the Walmart 25GB promo and do not want to mess that up. I don't mind paying the $36 if needed, as long as my plan doesn't change.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Are you seeing the bonus with a ported number? Did you get a temporary number and then port your number over before or after the bonus showed up? I've been following the Slickdeals thread and it sounds like you lucked out.

I suspect if the bonus survived the first port (ie you had it before porting the disposable number), it might for the second since it's technically the same account, but that's only a guess.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    Are you seeing the bonus with a ported number? Did you get a temporary number and then port your number over before or after the bonus showed up? I've been following the Slickdeals thread and it sounds like you lucked out.

I suspect if the bonus survived the first port (ie you had it before porting the disposable number), it might for the second since it's technically the same account, but that's only a guess.
    I ported in the beginning and got the data after 5 days, so yes I was pretty lucky.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by sprintleaver View Post
    I ported in the beginning and got the data after 5 days, so yes I was pretty lucky.
    Nice! To answer your original question, the $36 fee is still there. AT&T will let you port in as many times as you want and charge the fees accordingly, but I just don't know about the bonus data sticking around.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    Nice! To answer your original question, the $36 fee is still there. AT&T will let you port in as many times as you want and charge the fees accordingly, but I just don't know about the bonus data sticking around.
    I imagine porting a number in shouldn't affect the plan, not really a plan change at least. Thanks!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by sprintleaver View Post
    I imagine porting a number in shouldn't affect the plan, not really a plan change at least. Thanks!
    Not a plan change, but there were a few mentions of an account reset with the number port…notably C47V3770's post near the bottom of page 25: https://slickdeals.net/f/13131115-at...mart-exclusive

I don't know how "destructive" porting a new number over is, so that's why I just thought I'd mention it as a possibility.