Thread: Is there a source for info about reception strength on specific phones?

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a (unlocked version)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon prepaid
    Feedback Score

Is there a source for info about reception strength on specific phones?

Is there any source of phone reviews/info that includes whether the phone's ability to get a signal in marginal areas is average/good/poor?

I live in the mountains so there is no one provider or phone that will have a good signal everywhere I go, but I would like to increase my chances when buying my next phone.
    I can't believe I made a typo when entering my screen name....

Feedback Score
    This article is from 2016 and all these phones were picked because they had the best signal strength.

These are the smartphones with the best signal strength
    https://www.businessinsider.com/smar...ception-2016-9

However, what I would do is start out by looking at the coverage maps for each provider in your area and use that to find who has the strongest signal in your area. I think having the carrier with the strongest signal in your area will be more important then having a phone with the best signal strength.

Feedback Score
    Besides the official coverage maps (that are more.or less reliable), take a look at the maps provided at cellmapper.net
    If you're lucky, you will see if anyone had the app running in your location.
    Just input the names of the four US providers (Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint) in the search field.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I wish I could find a 2019 version of the article Brad4cell linked!

I already have the phone company which has the best overall coverage in my area. I do have coverage at home and work. The problem is due to the mountains, signal strength varies widely. You can have 4 bars in one place, then go around a curve and be down to 1 or 0 bars. I would like to have the best possible chance if I happen to be in an area that has only a barely-there signal (what if I had car trouble and needed to call for help). That's why I was trying to find info on the phones themselves. I suppose the kind of source I was hoping to find probably doesn't exist.

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, POSH Micro X S240
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Because of supplier hegemony, the differences are now much less than of years past, at least among flagship models.

https://www.pcmag.com/article/364775...n-of-any-phone

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    I doubt you will find anything much better than your present phone (Assuming you still have the Moto G4 Play) If you are looking for better coverage when in the car one of these boosters would likely be your best bet. I personally don't have any experience with these, but have seen posts in the past with good results.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brantford View Post
    Because of supplier hegemony, the differences are now much less than of years past, at least among flagship models.

https://www.pcmag.com/article/364775...n-of-any-phone
    Thanks - that's an interesting article.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    I doubt you will find anything much better than your present phone (Assuming you still have the Moto G4 Play) If you are looking for better coverage when in the car one of these boosters would likely be your best bet. I personally don't have any experience with these, but have seen posts in the past with good results.
    Thanks - I hadn't thought about a booster.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I've seen posts in the prepaid forums where someone will say "my friend has service in a place I don't" and the response is usually that it's a combination of the phone and the service provider. Maybe the phone isn't actually a big part of the equation unless one phone is a lot newer than the other.