Thread: Does Google voice eventually need an actual cell number for verification?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Does Google voice eventually need an actual cell number for verification?

I generally always have an actual cell number in my Google voice account, but I did have an old GV number in my other Google account that I rarely used and I seem to remember an email telling me I had to verify my GV number by using a forwarding number, I don't have that account anymore and didn't really care about it so I don't know what happened to it.. Is a non-Google voice, real cell number still required?

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    I generally always have an actual cell number in my Google voice account, but I did have an old GV number in my other Google account that I rarely used and I seem to remember an email telling me I had to verify my GV number by using a forwarding number, I don't have that account anymore and didn't really care about it so I don't know what happened to it.. Is a non-Google voice, real cell number still required?

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app
    Yes. It will send you a text verification code.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6S, OG Pixel XL, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon), T-Mobile, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Does Google voice eventually need an actual cell number for verification?

It needs a non-GV number to contact. I’ve used a landline for verification at one time.
    There’s an option for GV to call instead of text for verification. The default is text.
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The correct answer it's no. For an already existing GV # that you're going to use for VoIP only, a real phone # does NOT need to be attached.

Also, the message you saw in that old GV account was NOT asking you to verify your GV #, it was asking you to verify your FORWARDING # because it hadn't been used for an extended period of time.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Boz is right, the answer is no. Many years ago when GV came out, I decided to try it out, and found out that it is great for leaving myself voicemail notes and reminders while I'm out and about. I have no forwarding voice number at all set up, just an email. GV has never asked me to add a forwarding number either. In the settings page, it shows "Forwards calls to: You have not registered any phone.".

I've kept that number, use it mainly for myself, and sometimes I'll give it out to a website that I don't really care about but insists on sending me a text message to get some goodies I'm looking for. I keep "Do not disturb" setting on all the time, so calls go instantly to voicemail. My voicemail message has evolved to "Hello, you have reached my voicemail and text only phone number...".

I do have another GV number that I use in the traditional way and it is tied to my current mobile number. I typically keep the underlying carrier-supplied number to myself so I can easily change carriers and not hassle with trying to port the number.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    MRothaus, have you (on your lesser used GV number) even been notified of impending action by Google to reclaim that GV number due to lack of use, or does it get enough use (it doesn't take much apparently) not to trip that threshold?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I have never been notified of impending action. I would say it gets used at least once a week on average.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    That's well more than enough usage to avoid issues.

After my first warning in 2014 (after having the account/number since 2009) I must've only used it a couple of times a year, until just this past year, and went for probably the whole period without any use on that particular account. And thus I paid the price, as I recount in a neighboring thread.