Thread: Cheap phone plan with hotspot to replace home internet?

Device(s)
    Motorolla Q9c, Droid 1 (2009), Alcatel Elevate (2016)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Cheap phone plan with hotspot to replace home internet?

my current phone plan is FreedomPop's free 500meg/month sprint (cdma) plan.
    but freedompop got sold to Red Pocket Mobile so no idea how much longer it'll be free.

at the same time my roommate is moving out and the house internet is in his name (Comcast/Xfinity).

so i think now's the perfect time to switch phone carriers and get new house internet service. (i dont watch TV.)
    then i thought what if my phone service can double as home internet?

i have no idea how much data i use at home.
    i dont download movies or watch youtube videos.
    i just use it for email, read a few forums, and facebook.
    Maybe 5gig/month???

my phone # is google voice so all i need is to download the Google Hangouts app.
    thus i dont need to port and dont care about the phone provider's phone #.

I have a Moto E4 (model xt1768) lying around that i can use.
    it has hotspot capabilities so my laptop should be able to get internet.

recommendations for Cheap phone plan that allows hotspot to replace home internet?
    Last edited by fstuff; 07-08-2019 at 03:33 AM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by fstuff View Post
    my current phone plan is FreedomPop's free 500meg/month sprint (cdma) plan.
    but freedompop got sold to Red Pocket Mobile so no idea how much longer it'll be free.
    Freedompop Sprint plans were sold to Ting, not Red Pocket.

GSM (AT&T) plans were sold to Red Pocket.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I suggest https://www.bestbuy.com/site/freedom...?skuId=6296211.

$10/mo for 5GB/mo AT&T LTE can't be (or would be hard to) beat.

The data provided by FP AT&T LTE works great with GV+Hangouts. I've been using that setup for voice and messaging on my phone since March, 2017.

The $119.99 is a sale price for 12 months of 5GB/mo. The regular price is $149.99. I would probably buy two to cover the next two years if I were in your situation and 5GB/mo is all you need.

Device(s)
    Motorolla Q9c, Droid 1 (2009), Alcatel Elevate (2016)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post

The data provided by FP AT&T LTE works great with GV+Hangouts. I've been using that setup for voice and messaging on my phone since March, 2017.

The $119.99 is a sale price for 12 months of 5GB/mo. The regular price is $149.99. I would probably buy two to cover the next two years if I were in your situation and 5GB/mo is all you need.
    Thx!
    you got the Hotspot to work?

sigh.. sold out online.
    and no option to check which stores has it?

so it's an online only item?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

As you may have noticed I've asked the same question in other Forum/threads and can't zero in on anything. Specicially; does FP allow Hot Spot ? I know regardless of what the T&Cs say on MVNOs people still do it; but with FP is it specifically allowed?

Being an E4 person like yourself; I assume I could swap their SIM in and out with my Page Plus SIM on one of my E4s without issue of resetting APNs, VoLTE etc. everytime ?

If I understand correctly FP uses their app for calls, texts via the data you're buying ?

Do you need to download their AP if you just want to use your phone as a Hot Spot ?

How's FP work as far as throttling or going over the 5GB ? (does their data carryover)?

First I'd need to see how ATT is in my area anyway. I have a TF ATT SIM I'll probably stick in one of my E4s and just buy their cheapest plan to test the ATT signal. That should be the same as FP's signal as a test unless FP falls below Tracfone on any data priority list. I'm in the same situation as the OP. But have DSL, but only at 1.5 mbps max in my rural area.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by fstuff View Post
    Thx!
    you got the Hotspot to work?

sigh.. sold out online.
    and no option to check which stores has it?

so it's an online only item?
    That stinks! I think it was still available earlier today.

You can still get it at the regular $149.99 price from https://www.freedompop.com/preload/v...reload.default, but the Best Buy deal would have been better, obviously.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    As you may have noticed I've asked the same question in other Forum/threads and can't zero in on anything. Specicially; does FP allow Hot Spot ? I know regardless of what the T&Cs say on MVNOs people still do it; but with FP is it specifically allowed?
    I don't recall if FP T&C allow hotspot. It is really whether the carrier allows it anyway. The data does not go through FP to monitor. I have hotspotted one of my AT&T SIM FP phones for a few MB as a brief test. It depends on if the hotspot app on the phone contacts the carrier for permission. Your E4 is probably ok for that.

Being an E4 person like yourself; I assume I could swap their SIM in and out with my Page Plus SIM on one of my E4s without issue of resetting APNs, VoLTE etc. everytime ?
    If you change carriers by changing the SIM you will need to change the APN. I don't know about VoLTE. Probably so since you won't get VoLTE on FP-AT&T.

If I understand correctly FP uses their app for calls, texts via the data you're buying ?
    Correct. I have found that the voice service does not work very well over cell data, especially when moving/driving. It works ok on Wifi.

Do you need to download their AP if you just want to use your phone as a Hot Spot ?
    The only thing the FP app is needed for is voice calls and text. Data does not need or use it.

How's FP work as far as throttling or going over the 5GB ? (does their data carryover)?
    FP data is not specifically throttled. When you use up your 5 GB, data stops. Data does not carry over.

First I'd need to see how ATT is in my area anyway. I have a TF ATT SIM I'll probably stick in one of my E4s and just buy their cheapest plan to test the ATT signal. That should be the same as FP's signal as a test unless FP falls below Tracfone on any data priority list. I'm in the same situation as the OP. But have DSL, but only at 1.5 mbps max in my rural area.
    I just checked my FP-AT&T phone and AT&T postpaid hotspot side-by-side. They both got about 6 Mbps. Only 6 Mbps is due to my location not having great signal or cell provisioning. I have gotten ~30 Mbps on the hotspot in other locations.

Things are changing at FP. The Sprint lines have been sold and transitioned to Ting. The AT&T lines have been sold to Red Pocket. Those FP 5GB a month for a year deals will probably not be around for long.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    If you change carriers by changing the SIM you will need to change the APN.
    So the APN settings won't reset themselves when I swap in any ATT SIM ? Like my E4 just set the Tracfone/Vzw APN when I activated that SIM.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    So the APN settings won't reset themselves when I swap in any ATT SIM ? Like my E4 just set the Tracfone/Vzw APN when I activated that SIM.
    Yes, it will, based on my experience.

However, for clarification, for FP AT&T, you DO have to set the APN the first time you put in the FP SIM, but then it should automatically select/enable that FP APN the next time you put in the FP SIM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yes, I was thinking of the first time a SIM is put in a phone. After that, phones usually change the APN for the installed SIM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yes, it will, based on my experience.

However, for clarification, for FP AT&T, you DO have to set the APN the first time you put in the FP SIM, but then it should automatically select/enable that FP APN the next time you put in the FP SIM.

I just want to test ATT's signal with activating a Tracfone SIM I have for now. Have it auto set the required APN. Then put my Tracfone/Vzw Sim back in it, have it reset to the Vzw APN and not have to mess with APNs coming or going. All on my E4 (xt1768). Good to go?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I just want to test ATT's signal with activating a Tracfone SIM I have for now. Have it auto set the required APN. Then put my Tracfone/Vzw Sim back in it, have it reset to the Vzw APN and not have to mess with APNs coming or going. All on my E4 (xt1768). Good to go?
    Should be good to go. Even if the APN doesn't switch with the SIM it should still be on the phone to change to without having to enter it again.